Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking IOL Broadband

Options
  • 03-10-2004 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I want to network my IOL broadband connection between three computers in my home. If I ask IOL/Esat for help about configuring the router etc will they try to extract more money from me? I would be grateful if anyone knows the answer to this before I get lost in their voicemail labyrinth.
    Lakefield (in hiding) :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I've moved this over to the Nets/Comms forum, you'll probably get a better response here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Just get a switch and use windows internet connection sharing. Or you might be able to do it with the modem if it is the one with USB and ethernet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Optikus wrote:
    Just get a switch and use windows internet connection sharing. Or you might be able to do it with the modem if it is the one with USB and ethernet.

Don't, whatever you do, waste time with "windows internet connection sharing". A bare switch will cost you €25. For €40, you can get an intelligent router that will allow you to share your broadband connection at any time without having to have the "main PC" turned on all the time.

Are all the machines in the same room, or close by, such that running wires won't be a problem? Or are they spread all over the house, in which case wireless might be worthwhile (it will cost a lot more).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Afto agree with Ripwave don't go near ICS ( Internet Connection Sharing ) it's total toss :( Do you have a router? What hardware do you have, you're not very clear about that in your post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Ripwave wrote:
    Don't, whatever you do, waste time with "windows internet connection sharing". A bare switch will cost you €25. For €40, you can get an intelligent router that will allow you to share your broadband connection at any time without having to have the "main PC" turned on all the time.

Are all the machines in the same room, or close by, such that running wires won't be a problem? Or are they spread all over the house, in which case wireless might be worthwhile (it will cost a lot more).

I haven't experienced any problems with ICS, well not yet anyway. Out of interest why are you guys so against it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Optikus wrote:
    I haven't experienced any problems with ICS, well not yet anyway. Out of interest why are you guys so against it?
    For a start because it's inefficient, and for anyone who would ask the question that started the thread, it's needlessly complicated.

And then there's the fact that you have to have the ICS computer turned on if you want to access the net from any of the other computers. If you were saving €150 by using ICS it'd be one thing, but €15? Definitely not worth the effort.

(There's also the issue of wireless - if you need to go the wireless route, then it will probably actually work out cheaper to go with dedicated hardware than to use ICS, because you probably won't need to get a wireless adapter for all your computers - at least one of them can be wired, whereas if you use ICS, you have to pay for wireless adapters for every machine).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It would be a lot easier to get yourself a simple router or wireless rotuer [if your feeling the need to go wifi] and plug the IOL modem into it. The router will be simple enough to setup and also give you more controls and security. Most routers have basic hardware firewall and also the ability to block sites etc. Increased security over anything.

You can also attach another router to that router to extend your network even more if you needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Might I suggest the BEFSX42 linksys DSL router/firewall with 4 lan ports. Comes in at around €90.

More expensive: Zyxel 662 combo router / firewall with VPN. rolls in at about €440.

Definitely router is the way to go. Much , much easier in the long run.

Advertisement