Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone upgraded to IBB 1meg

• 04-10-2004 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, i'm currently on IBB wireless in tallaght on 512k with 8 to 1 contention. Has anyone got the 1 meg 20:1 service, is it an improvement?

IBB tell me they have to change antenna so I'm presuming it uses a different freq range than the 512.

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I've had it for 2 months. Its very good.

connection has only ever dropped once. No cap and downloads of upto 125K.

And its only 48 a month :D

im happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am trying too at the moment. Posted in the exact form their sales team requested but that wasnt sufficient. So I faxed a different one over but their fax machine was bolloxed.. They seem to insist on a form for some reason and won't witch it over until they get one, well the second one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I am trying too at the moment. Posted in the exact form their sales team requested but that wasnt sufficient. So I faxed a different one over but their fax machine was bolloxed.. They seem to insist on a form for some reason and won't witch it over until they get one, well the second one :(

Thanks doodee

To Jesus: yeah they seem to have a problem doing the simplest of tasks

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Regarding their 1mb product does anyone know if you have to pay them them a setup fee if it can't be installed. By which I don't mean the equipment can't be installed but if it can't get a signal from your house?

I don't think I have line of sight to any of the IBB towers due to my house being down off the main road and having apartment blocks nearby.

Any idea what the procedure is in this?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

they usually run a test first to see if you can get a signal! there should be no charge for the test!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

No charge til you get the antenne up and your computer configured. But make sure you do a speed test or two before they left.

When i origionally got my IBB connection, they accidently left it on 128/128 (the test speeds) so i had to ring em and get em to come back and reset it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Im on 512k 8:1 and asked them to upgrade me 2 weeks ago-ive rang them twice more after the initial phone call and still nothing done in spite of their reassurrances-in the meantime ive heard bad things about the contention on 3 rock but glowing reports elsewhere so Im a bit skeptical about possibly losing my relatively solid 8:1 for a risky 1meg 20:1 but god id love just to see 100k+ lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The 8:1 guarantees just 6k while the 20:1 guarantess 5k.. The contention is not really a big deal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I'm on the 512 version, and rang today to say that my connection was actually as slow as dialup. I said "I'm on the 512 - " and the tech support person said emphatically "512 *maximum*".

I'd downloaded a gadget called Speed Download that showed my download speed, and used it to download a test file. It showed me as having an average speed for 5 minutes of 2.5k/s and for 15 minutes as 4.4k/s. I told IBB this, and they said their figures showed me as getting 79kbps. Hmmmm. Either my or their figures are wrong, or something very fishy is going on with someone outside of either of us messing with the bandwidth.

Strange stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

yes but with my 8:1 I get good speeds most of the time, however on 20:1 the chances of someone else using it at the same time are doubled and some more so the possibility of poor/midling speeds is higher, not that im gona break the bank leeching away but nice to know i can get good speeds when i need them...

You would hope in all cases for 50euro that u wudnt be talking about the lowest guaranteed rate...inspite of some reports on here :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement