Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs/Socs

Options
  • 08-09-2004 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Before you decide what to join think will you have the time to avail of that club's/society's events and facilities. No point joining a club and not being able to go to the training sessions. I made the mistake in first year of joining loads of societies thinking I'd go to stuff from them all, I'm only involved in one society now. If you're really into a subject, join their society. If you're really into a sport, join the club. Similarly, if you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit, join our club.

Basically join a couple of societies/clubs that you know you'll enjoy and then branch out from there. May sound like I'm stating the bleeding obvious but if everything you join costs on average €2 you'll dent your pocket and be regretting it when you have to buy course materials. Especially if you're moving away from home, you'll have to get used to money management quickly so keep your money in fresher's week for buying decent drink (no free drink will be drinkable, it's all the stuff nowhere can sell normally).

Now go check out this thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I'm thinking of joining

Physics -Rrelated to my course and I love it
    Maths - Same
    Astronomy - I've always loved/been fascinated with it
    Gamers - See if it's any good
    Snowsports - My love
    Rifle - Sounds interesting
    Swimming - Maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

i woul like to join hockey, but does anyone know if beginners can join?

i heard of a trampolining society, thats sounds like so much fun!! :D is it real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

i heard of a trampolining society, thats sounds like so much fun!! :D is it real?
    I am sure you can and I don;t think they do much tramolining

Ive heard the hockey is out in Santry tho, which could me a major pain in the ass.

What does the Trampolining society actually do then....? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Ive heard the hockey is out in Santry tho, which could me a major pain in the ass.
    Yeah there's not enough room on campus only for the likes of cricket and rugby.
    What does the Trampolining society actually do then....? :D
    Can you say "drink"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Yeah, a lot of my friends played for the ladies 6ths and they were more or less newbies at it. Not sure how many teams they have now but join up and find out. :D

Santry isn't that hard to get to. just a 20min bus journey away. Used to do it all the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

As far as I know, they trampoline every week. They teach you to do mad flips and things.

thanks about the hockey, i wasnt sure if i could join. Is santry really only 20mins from Trinity yeah? that doesnt sound half as bad as i'd imagined lol.

and as for the trampolining, it sounds cool ive always wanted to be able to do all the mad filps n somersaults n stuff :D always handy to have eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

the trampoleening is over rated imo, twill be utterly horrible for the first few mts too, you'll have to stay for an hour or 2 for 5mins on it.... pay a visit around jan/feb....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

thanks about the hockey, i wasnt sure if i could join. Is santry really only 20mins from Trinity yeah? that doesnt sound half as bad as i'd imagined lol.
    Most clubs will be training in Santry in the early evening. It used to take us upwards of 45 mins with out own bus. With Dublin bus you needed to allow an hour as there's a 10 minute walk at the santry end. (and about 5 mins from front arch to bus stop in town). Weekends with public transport it takes about half an hour. Cycling takes about the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'm thinking of joining

Physics -Rrelated to my course and I love it
    Maths - Same
    Astronomy - I've always loved/been fascinated with it
    Gamers - See if it's any good
    Snowsports - My love
    Rifle - Sounds interesting
    Swimming - Maybe

Gamer's< fair few TP's or people doing related course's, you won't be alone. Rifle is ment to be prety good, and they have the best freshers intro of all the society's, by best I mean best bear. Swimming is out in santry or something. Astronomy was taken over by The physics brief last year, though it might still be around. trampoleening meets twice a week, good fun to watch. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Boston wrote:
    good fun to watch.

Seeya there then Joe.

God only knows, with these schols exams and the like, mightn't have any time. Enjoy first year. I spent many a night mesmerized by the repetitive motions of the feminist trampoline women. bounce... bounce... bounce...

Yea pick up maybe two clubs to do at most, you really won't have time for more then that neil. It important to have abite of fun, don't get me wrong, but your degree should be your main interest, and CS is interesting enough. I've my single priority picked out already, and if I've the time i'll do Judo, which is mor eto do with the fact those guys are deadly sound guys.. If you really want to do trampolining I can introduce you to a very sexy blonde, but I recon Jen wouldn't be to pleased.

umm no fit chicks in trampoleening last time i looked, fraid nothing to see :(

You didn't look last year. She's actually an engineer that goes from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

The Rifle club is good fun, if you like shooting stuff:)

Boston wrote:
    You didn't look last year. She's actually an engineer that goes from time to time.
    true, i looked the year before...it improved then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Boston wrote:
    If you really want to do trampolining I can introduce you to a very sexy blonde, but I recon Jen wouldn't be to pleased.
    hehe i'd say she wouldnt, no.

Name number measurements? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 atlas

DUSAC - the sub aqua - diving club. Fantastic club, great sport but bloody expensive. Well worth it if you have the cash tho :cool:

Triceradon wrote:
    umm no fit chicks in trampoleening last time i looked, fraid nothing to see :(

eh you havent taken into account the incoming members ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

umm no fit chicks in trampoleening last time i looked, fraid nothing to see
    im more interested in knowing whether there are any fit guys..... anyone fancy enlightening me?

I'm sure everyone is quite fit in trampoleening, it's a full cardio-vascular work-out...
    oh...
    now I get it.

im more interested in knowing whether there are any fit guys..... anyone fancy enlightening me?

If by fit you mean homosexual, then yes loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭geo

lookin at doing:
    Astronomy and Space
    Gamers
    Climbing
    Canoe
    mabye rifle aswell
    also could someone recommend a good martial art club in collage that would be good for beginners

Don't do any martial arts but the judo people all seem sound enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

John2 wrote:
    Don't do any martial arts but the judo people all seem sound enough

Yeah we do!!! :D

apexaviour wrote:

Do you do much of the Judo yourself. I went for a little while last year, but a crappy timetable forced me to stop. Recon you will have a decent slot in the main hall this year.

apexaviour wrote:

Well, MOST judo people seem sound enough :p

Ask for Marc at the fresher's stand, he has delightful hair

ive been doing judo for the past 3 years and im an orange belt. whats the judo club in tcd like size-wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

If by fit you mean homosexual, then yes loads.
    so that explains the campness with which the guy from trampoleening was talking to us at freshers week last year....

im thinking i should join a society this year and actually stick with it, last year i lasted to the end of freshers week, and that was only because of the free stuff.....was thinking maybe photography, anyone know anything about it? actually looking at the list surfing sounds pretty cool, i suppose it would be kinda expensive though.

Advertisement