Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs/Socs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The practice in Luce Hall used to be just a few friendly games for an hour, no pressure just a laugh. If you wanted serious training you went to Herbert Park or Alexandra College for the sessions there. However, over the last year the Luce Hall sessions became about 40min training (running in various different ways) and then a game of frisbee with no joy as it was quite competitive. Much prefer to stand outside the pav and throw a frisbee back and forth with friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

The one sport club I'm interested in is fencing. Anyone here done it? I always liked the idea of doing it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Plasticman wrote:
    The one sport club I'm interested in is fencing. Anyone here done it? I always liked the idea of doing it...

My ex's flatmate was a big fencer at Trinity. They seem to have quite a lot fun, but the members are a little on the dorky side, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

Dorkiness does not phase me. It sounds corkingly good fun to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Fencing and the rifle club used to have an annual grudge match. It's a fair bit of fun allright, but you do need to be surprisingly fit for fencing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Can girls do fencing? I know yes they probably can, but is it mainly all guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I'm pretty sure you can do anything, I know there are quite a few girls in Rifle so I'd say its mixed.

Yes, girls can do fencing. And girls have an advantage in target shooting (the flare of the hip-bone in most females makes shooting air rifle while standing a lot easier; also the "female temperment" - and there's today's biggest generalisation for you - is better suited to shooting).

oh btw is there a water polo team in tcd? not for me i mean for someone else i know

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

hrm havent heard of a water polo club but there could be i guess....
    if youre wondering bout what sports you can do most of them are listed here http://www.tcd.ie/Clubs/DUCAC/Sports_clubs.php

• Advertisement

thanks a mil canvas, v helpful :D

is the societies like dubes only for ppl doin those courses btw? sum1 said sumthin bout good free stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 yoyoyo

do you fellas know if there is a frisbee team(yes, its jus as strange to me)? all my mates are on one in their respective (yet not respected )colleges.

LOL, so are you the only one going to tcd? i dont know many going either, most of mine have fecked off to ucd already. :(
    Dunno bout the frisbee team sorry cant help you there, maybe check the link that blank canvas posted which has info bout sports clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yoyoyo wrote:
    do you fellas know if there is a frisbee team(yes, its jus as strange to me)? all my mates are on one in their respective (yet not respected )colleges.

Yeah there is , called ultimate frizbee

yup,im the only trinner out of my mates- i mean, there is others from my school (which has its upsides and its downsides)the gas thing is tho most of tehm applied for trinity and now im getting the stick for actually getting in-oh well success has its price!!!!!!!

yeah Trinity has a frisbee team, they go to Edinburgh for a beginners tournament each year with new members. Then there's the intervarsity competitions here in Ireland.

And Chick, anyone can join any society, just ones like DUBES and ChemSoc don't appeal to most people.

LOL ok just wondering, thanks john :D

ever since ive heard of this frisbee (im not calling it ultimate until i see it)i have been intrigued- i mean, how is it played? do they bring in coaches?

im more intriuged by fencing ;)

• Advertisement

No, the committee are all veteran players. Basically the game involves two teams trying to throw the frisbee to a member of their team in the opposition's end zone. It really is great fun but as I said earlier it just got too serious for my liking.

anything with the word "ultimate" in it always makes me think of something from Jackass :eek:

Wait a few years and you'll probably see Ultimate Jackass. Although you don't get hurt in Ultimate Frisbee (much) so that's a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

you guys seem to be one of the only colleges not to have an archery club. DCU,DIT,UCD,UCC,GMIT,Carlow IT, Maynooth, Limerick and some others all have one and we compete regularly.. why not form one and join in the intervarsty fun! check out the archery board(in the sports section) if your interested. they'll give advice if you need cause they've all set up clubs already.... come on you know you want too!!!! :D

http://www.tcd.ie/Clubs/DUCAC/Sports_clubs.php

There's a sports club noted called "Knights" - anyone have a clue what it is?

The Knights of the Campanile? It's more a society of sports clubs' captains really.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ok,

Just my own thoughts on clubs/socs in Trinity; I am not a Trinity student but know quite a few in one society in particular which I am going to highly reccomend:

Trinity LGBT society is really good, It is friendly, (even if you do not define as LGB or T or Q) fun, enlightening, helpful, an excellent resource, support and so much more

www.trinitylgb.org

also Trinitys new Access society looks good to me:

http://www.geocities.com/trinity_access/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

LGBT.. It's not exactly open to everybody though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Also friendly? That's not what I heard.. Of the people I know that would be eligible to join, they ain't members as they consider it "militant". I'm not exactly sure what was meant by that but they aren't my words..

Advertisement