Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs/Socs

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Also friendly? That's not what I heard.. Of the people I know that would be eligible to join, they ain't members as they consider it "militant". I'm not exactly sure what was meant by that but they aren't my words..
    Heard similiar, along with that it's cliquey as hell and full of people full of there own bloated sense of self importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

When galavanting around Front Square tomorrow (or more accurately later today) drop by the DURNS stand and join. It's only €2 and you get a very very snazzy membership card, a chance to meet me and of course membership to the coolest society on campus.*[/soapbox]

*As quoted by various members of the SU. Go up and ask them, they'll tell you it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

yeah,

do the exact same for the judo club. but u wont get snazzy member ship cards. unfortunetly.

banner.GIF

scroll.GIF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

stop making more threads to re-hash the same crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

renew'd me subs to netsoc, i is chuffed. lots of headless first years running around today....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Also friendly? That's not what I heard.. Of the people I know that would be eligible to join, they ain't members as they consider it "militant". I'm not exactly sure what was meant by that but they aren't my words..
    Heard similiar, along with that it's cliquey as hell and full of people full of there own bloated sense of self importance.

Ok, first of all there are one or two militant people in the society but I would totally disagree that it is Cliquey and full of people with their own self importance, I'm not even in the college and I found the soc to be very welcoming and friendly

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Had three euro to spare today so I joined Judo under the name "Guy Incognito" i now have sweets and that weird little slip thing.Dont even go to trinity anymore tbh-left last year.Cant believe Guy Incognito wasnt copped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EgoEgo

Boston wrote:

Hearsay hearsay; there's not really much militancy - at most a slight bit of hackishness(but even then only off-hours and only with a minority of them) - they're lovely, each and every one of them.

Not everyone's cup of tea of course, but for a lot of people (including me) the society is very very cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

It is hearsay, but its just admissable as anything else on the internet in fairness.

How about ye's all agree to disagree and if anyones actually interested let em find out foremselves .

• Advertisement

orangerooster or should i call you Guy Incognito, thanks for donating your three euro. are you a member of luce? if u are you can still go training if you want. the weird little slip thing was a product of my mastery.

did anyone else join any sports clubs for the first time? intending on going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

kinda interested in joining this 'ultimate frisbee' team, anyone know what time/where the sessions are on? how much is it to join etc? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

From their introductory email (trinityultimate@yahoogroups.com):

To everyone cool enough to play Ultimate--welcome to the Force Kings' magical
    folds.

I want to give a shout out to all y'all new players who've come out and jammed
    that gym these past two weeks. This Bud's for you. So's this email.

I'm going to cut the introductory paragraphs short because I'm in a cybercafe,
    wet as hell from this country's incontinent weather, and I have dinner waiting
    at home. Plus I got a job today and I want to go home and celebrate. So let's
    get down to business.

You have all taken the first step toward becoming world-class ultimate players:
    you gave us money. Now it's time to get something back for that money. The
    best thing about Ultimate is going to tournaments, and we
    have a well-packed schedule this month. By now, most of you have been to the
    Wednesday 4pm session in Luce Hall. At least, enough of you have. That
    practice is the staple of Trinity ultimate; at present, it's the only actual
    practice we have as a team. There are a number of pickup games every week,
    which most of us attend religiously, but this year, we're trying to forge a
    stronger identity as a team. Last year, we had the TCD pitches up in Santry,
    which is easier to get to than you think, reserved every monday from 9:30 to
    10:30pm. Getting Trinity players out there, however, proved futile. This
    year, we are making a concerted effort to get out there and have a real team
    practice.

We also now have a chance to play competitively as a team with some regularity:
    this Sunday sees the birth of the first Dublin Ultimate league, and Trinity is
    fielding a team. Hitherto, Sunday was a sacred pickup day, with all the
    players from across the city coming out. This year, we've turned every other
    sunday into league day. Our first game is this Sunday at 2 against DCU in
    Phoenix Park. The Trinity contingent are leaving from front arch at 1pm. This
    is serious play, a life-or-death matter, and anyone who wants to cut their teeth
    on some more hardcore flatball should come out. All are welcome.

Next, we have the two beginners' tournaments. A beginners' tournament means
    that only one experienced player is allowed on the pitch at any time. It's
    indoor, and it's excellent. First comes Whacking Day at DCU.
    It's a one-day tournament on Saturday, October 30. It's terrific fun, with all
    the local colleges, as well as some more remote ones (Galway and Belfast),
    fielding teams. This year there will even be some high schools, like Malahide,
    putting out teams. The party that night is also the stuff of legend. More
    information will be given about this next wednesday.

Then comes the finest beginners' tourney in Europe, the one no one forgets (or,
    conversely, has trouble remembering), Edinburgh. We're sending a team or two
    this year. That will be from November 6-7, leaving the night of the 5th. For
    more information on that, contact Cian at comorain@tcd.ie.

Then, just a week after that, comes Cork Intervarsities (is it still
    intervarsities, or is it open?). Last year, we sent two teams to that, and
    each made it to its group final. They both got crushed, but hey. This year,
    we win. It's that simple.

So that's the rundown of the coming month. Basically, the important thing for
    beginners right now is to throw. A lot. We recommend the small sprawl of
    grass in front of Physio for throwing. Go and throw there. And anyone who
    happens by, ask to join in. It would be lovely to have people throwing
    constantly there. Bored? Go to Physio with a disc. Throw with strangers who
    happen by. Chances are you'll be playing together in Edinburgh. Also, if you
    think you're up for it, start coming to pickup. It's high-octane, high-quality
    disc, and it's a great place to learn.

But throw? With what, you ask? The answer is absolutely nothing you buy at
    Elvery's. Do not go to Elvery's. They sell ****e discs at €30 a pop. The
    only disc you can throw is a Discraft. The only store that sells them is
    Urban, on Drury st. They sponsored the Irish Beach Ultimate team at worlds
    this year, so go and give them your money. Alternately, you can get them at
    tournaments, where most teams have them to sell. Most people own a number of
    discs; I myself own three.

I think that's enough information for now. I recommend that you all check out
    the website: http://www.tcd.ie/clubs/ultimate. If you have any questions, feel
    free to email myself or any of the other committee members listed on the site.

Congratulations. You're all Force Kings. Kiitos.
    --Sam Ashworth (secretary)

p.s. rule 1: it's not a "frisbee." It's a disc.

Advertisement