Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can students get credit cards ?

Options
  • 04-10-2004 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

If a student wants to get a Visa or Mastercard can they ? Do they have to have a minimum amount in their account ? Wats the story with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

yes.

go into any boi/aib and they're gagging to give you a credit card.

you fill out a form, etc. and you should be able to get one. I know BoI have a specific brochure for a student mastercard. They usually start you off with €250 credit limit.

I think they'll only give you one if there's sufficient activity in your account, as in you have to have held the account for a while/have a certain number of transactions etc. Doubt you'd get one if you only opened the account today.

Think wisely about it though, and only use it for essential purchases. It's far too easy to get raped by cc bills.

Heres the boi info page on student cards:

http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws/students/third_level/manage_finances/credit_card.html

You can download the application form there.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭clearz

Im with AIB and had to apply three times before I got a one. When I finally did get one they gave me a 400 euro limit. Then every 6 months you can get it put up. I got mine raised to 700 in September. My advice is dont apply for one in March like I did. The government scams 40 euro of you in tax on the 1st of April so I only had mine a week or 2 and had to pay the tax.

Advertisement