Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YahooBB! start 1Gbps service

• 04-10-2004 7:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Well it looks like Japan has done it again. YahooBB! are launching their FTTH service. A maximum of 32 people will share a 1Gbps fibre pipe to their home. Damn, that I live in the sticks here and cannot get a fibre connection (NTT aghhh). According to the site, service will be rolled out from Devember 1st. Monthly cost is between 4410 (32 euro) and 4809 yen (35 euro), depending on whether you get an IP phone with it.

Joe

link: http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles/0410/04/news021.html (in japanese)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

atleast you live in japan! we living in history here! think about how long it took us to get dsl, god that was a long wait, even now it takes ages to upgrade, not to mention those nice sales people tells you they call you in a couple of days, and you ended up having to call them back after a week and still nothing is happening! I waiting 6 months to get my line upgrade to 2MB in which I have to call them every week, coz they never call you back, I do remember everytime I call them they tell me they will call me back in 30mins but they never did not for once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

/me weeps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

Well everything is not so rosy over here either. They upgraded all the people on their 45mbps/1mbps service to 50/3 in September. This has led to some stability issues (kinda bad because my telephone is an IP phone). Got a replacement modem last week which seems to have fixed the problem. Hope it stays that way

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

mine is crap I have to turn it off and turn it back on every so often as i cant browse nothing but yet you look at the modem, it flashes like mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

So are you on a 45mbps connection joe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

I`m on their 50/3 service now. Because I'm so far from the exchange (1.8 km) I can't get max speed. When downloading from FTP sites I can get about 1.8mb/sec. P2P programes rarely give you such high numbers unless you are downloading lots of files at once. I haven't measured my upload speed since I've been upgraded. Before that however, I was getting around 105kb/sec upload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

megabytes/sec ... must be nice! :) You can do full speedtests from various websites that will max out ur upload and download. If ur in the mood of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

joerules wrote:
    I`m on their 50/3 service now. Because I'm so far from the exchange (1.8 km) I can't get max speed. When downloading from FTP sites I can get about 1.8mb/sec. P2P programes rarely give you such high numbers unless you are downloading lots of files at once. I haven't measured my upload speed since I've been upgraded. Before that however, I was getting around 105kb/sec upload.
    Scoff all you like. I'm happy with my 750Kbps. Really.

Dammit, I'm moving to Japan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

joerules wrote:
    A maximum of 32 people will share a 1Gbps fibre pipe to their home.

Well thats bril, but cant remember what singer said there are only so many leagal things you can do when you have high speed internet! it's true as well.

off-topic: what is japan ike ? is it all like lost in translation or os it more like pokemon/yu-gi-oh style. It is one country i would love to go to but as a student it is wwwwway over my budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

On some things i think Ireland is in the Before Christ (BC) years.Every other country gets the good stuff before we do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

On some things i think Ireland is in the Before Christ (BC) years.Every other country gets the good stuff before we do
    We got cheese and onion flavour crisps before anyone else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_chips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Superman wrote:
    Well thats bril, but cant remember what singer said there are only so many leagal things you can do when you have high speed internet! it's true as well.

Well, that's actually besides the point. I'm on an 8MBit service (although I can get 100MBit), and I really love it. Just ran Windows update a few days ago, and I think I was getting DL speed of around 800K/sec. If I download something, my speeds are generally around 700K.
    When I browse the web, the page loads as fast as my system can render it.
    Also, pingtimes in UT2004 rarely exceed 40, most common is 30... this ping holds even if I play on Dutch/Brittish/French servers.
    I see these things as really good benefits which I wouldn't get on a 512 connection.

Oh, also, I'm not sure I can get anything below 2MBits anyways :)

I would get the 100Mbit service if it hadn't cost me 120euros a month (8Mbit is about 45 euros a month).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is there really any need for a speed of 1gbps. I mean most servers dont even have that speed, so the maxiumum you could download at is only a mere 100mbps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Is there really any need for a speed of 1gbps. I mean most servers dont even have that speed, so the maxiumum you could download at is only a mere 100mbps!

Not really true, there are lots of servers on faster speeds than 100MBit, ftp.sunet.se is an example (and you can grab things like linuxdistros from there).

Most university networks have speeds above 100MBits. Furthermore, you can DL several things at the same time from different locations, and finally, people sharing the same connection can DL from eachother (still talking linuxdistros ofcourse ;))

Advertisement