Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Conundrum

• 04-10-2004 8:56am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I think we're soon going to need an IBB forum but here goes...

As some of you may know already I have had an ethernet ripwave (3.5GHz) device for the last three weeks and have seen very little Internet Access from it. This weekend was the last straw - there was no access at all all weekend, except mysteriously during the night, according to my little script that runs and checks it. What's very interesting is that I did actually manage to get a green light but only when placed on the table in the hall - incidentally one of the only rooms in the house without double glazing. This morning when I placed it in the room directly above the hall (with a clear line of sight to the mast) there was no signal at all. Normally I would think that the signal was weak, but I can see the masts on 3-rock from my window with no obstruction, and I am also smack-bang in the middle of their Ripwave Coverage Map. I'm starting to suspect a defective modem - has anybody got any other ideas about this?

Also, should Ripwave be a disaster, I will have to install the 5.8GHz kit as I've an ISDN line which is part of another installation including an Alarm which really can't be removed. Has anyone experienced the 5.8GHz kit and had a positive one - especially after having a bad experience with Ripwave? What's the wait time like and how's the install overall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

no experience with RipWave but 5.8ghz (VL) is excellent.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That's excellent to hear, I might have to take them up on that so.

They've finally agreed to take back the ripwave unit for testing and they've said if it fails i'll get another one and if it passes i'll get a refund as there's probably just no coverage. In which case i'll use the refund money to buy the installation of the bigger kit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

5.8ghz or vl as they call it rocks :)
    I have a 1mb line here and it is good for both downloading and latency

Advertisement