Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favorite comic shop and why

Options
  • 04-10-2004 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Well I worked hard for it and now I want to spend it ...... what shop deserves the cash... or do I just stick to fobidden planet????

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Velcrow wrote:
    Well I worked hard for it and now I want to spend it ...... what shop deserves the cash... or do I just stick to fobidden planet????

There's also Sub City and The Third Place:

"Well, There is Sub-City on Exchequer Street (My local Comic shop), there is Forbidden planet on the Quays (Up Past virgin megastores ;)).. Those are the two main ones.. there is also The Third Space (or is it place.. can't remember) It is in Templebar on crow street..

What kinda stuff you lookin for?"

Don't blame me if this is wrong or out of date; I've just lifted it from this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Emmett

If you're looking for any back issues, feel free to drop me a line. I run a mail order service and have 25,000 comics in stock starting from 50 cents. I also organise the Dublin Comic and Toy Marts. There's another one coming up shortly so keep an eye out for the flyers in your local comic shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Don't advertise here. If you want to tell him that you can send him a PM. But it's in the charter - personal collections are per instance, but services shops and companies etc, we can't have advertised.

I'd rather see people not associated with these places giving their opinions of them, as if I see people advertising their own places, i'll bin the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Yeah I'm looking for independent recommendations.... stock, price, service etc

Maybe I shold change the title to - Your favorite comic shop and why ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Sub City, although I usually go to FP for my monthlies that's purely because they're just off O'Connell Bridge. But Sub City is by far and away the superior store. They have all the regulars, and a catalogue of back issues I'd murder my own grandmother for

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Sub City for me too - despite the one in Galway being smaller than Other Realms, they've got a better range and carry Irish-made comics regularly (as opposed to Other Realms' more random stocking). I haven't yet tried Forbidden Planet or The Third Place, so I may yet switch allegiances...doubt it though.

Sorry about the plug,guys. ( I couldn't resist!). More on the subject at hand though, has anyone checked out the new Forbidden Planet in Belfast? It was my favorite comic shop back when it was called Talisman in Winetavern Street. Now they're in a massive new shop right in the city centre. The manager there,Mal sold me my first comics when I was around 10 years old. He's the same guy who took over the Darkness comic after Garth Ennis stopped writing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 lucius fox

Hey everyone, I check out all 3 comic shops in Dublin every week, and they all offer different stuff, Sub-City has a real good selection of back issues & trades but there really pricey & the atmosphere is kind of weird if your not in their click.The 3rd Place on crow st has a really good vibe going on. It has the least space of all 3 shops but they cram a lot of stuff in.It covers the exact same products as the others & there a lot cheaper (when they decide to actually open the store).The Forbidden planet on the quays has a lot of stuff. But I find that there is no real atmosphere in the shop. It's really expensive on toys and comics. But if you can't find certain items anywhere else their is a good chance they have it. All 3 shops offer a pull list service so your comics are waiting for you when you go in. And 3rd Place e-mail there customers a full list of what comes in once a week. They also give discounts to there customers they have pull lists for. Which is handy as some comics work out up to a Euro cheaperthan he Planet or Sub I don't think the other shops do this. I know i'v never gotten a discount in Sub or the Planet.And there prices keep me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Darrk

I usually go to Forbidden Planet for my comics, but I love the Third Place... They're really friendly there...

--Darrk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I'm new to this whole thing, but I suppose the Third Place is probably my fave, even though I've only been in once and ddn't buy anything! You see, both Forbidden Planet and Sub City have given me terrible graphic nivel recommendations. A guy in Sub City told me that the Dark Knight Strikes Again is better than Returns. A guy in Forbidden Panet recommended Tales of The Demon to me, which I disliked so much that I didn't finish it.
    The Third Place is yet to do wrong. Although, for each piece of bad advice I've received, I've received lots of good advice, so I can't really complain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Darrk

The third place is the cheapest too. Just so ya know...

--Darrk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kazuko

can anyone tell me when is the next comic mart coming up. I know that sub city has one coming up in december but are there any others? I got a living dead doll at one and am interested in getting a few more.

Hi there,
    Yes, it was probably myself that sold you that doll (i love those things!). I'm having the next convention on Saturday the 18th of December from 9am-5pm in Wynn's hotel,Dublin. Living Dead Dolls flew out the door last time and now I have in a nice new 2-pack of some very limited edition Living Dead Dolls. Hope you can make it along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ziggy-Stardust

Forbidden Planet will always be the best comic shop in Dublin...I mean c'mon, how could you outdo a shop whose name is from a song from Rocky Horror Picture Show?!

But there are other good ones around, I think they've already all been mentioned.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Forbidden Planet will always be the best comic shop in Dublin...I mean c'mon, how could you outdo a shop whose name is from a song from Rocky Horror Picture Show?!.
    Huh?
    Forbidden Planet is a classic movie from 1956, featuring the famous Robby the Robot. That's where the movie got its name from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Lydesia

A reccomandation is just that. So dont be giving out about it if you didnt like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

the third place..hands down...good staff, friendly, approachable,knowledgable, cheaper comics and merch..good games shop downstairs if you're into it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Are there any Subcity's or Forbidden Planets (or anything along those lines) in Cork? If yes, where are they?

Other realms, in Paul Street Shopping Centre in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

Well I live in Limerick where we are starved for decent comics suppliers. There was a "Forbidden Planet" here a number of years ago but it has long since closed down. Great shop on Thomas St selling figures, trading cards, movie memorabilia etc called "Hollywood Empire" but no comics alas. I think the comics place beside "The Gathering" in Lower Gerald Griffin St has closed down. Anyone have any news on this one?

My favourite comic book shop anywhere would be "Mega City Comics" in Camden. Always one of the highlights of a trip to London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Fysh wrote:
    Other realms, in Paul Street Shopping Centre in the city centre.
    Staff know their stuff (most of them) and not a bit snotty.Great coffee bar to hang out in and nice and central. In a word: the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jahl

Mainly would go to Subcity myself, have a nicer atmosphere and always something to catch my eye just as I'm about to leave . . . showers of bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

the manga selection in forbidden planet is excellent EXCEPT that they don't restock it very often (even though they claim they do.)

subcity is too "super hero" for me.

galactus wrote:
    Staff know their stuff (most of them) and not a bit snotty.Great coffee bar to hang out in and nice and central. In a word: the dogs.

Really? This could be just me, but I've found some of the staff to be a bit arsey in the past (had one guy look pissed off at me for interrupting his conversation with his mate so that I could pay for my 50 quid's worth of comics, which doesn't exactly endear me to the place). Although those I have talked to are generally pretty reliable - there seems to be a strange tendency, however, for staff to become less willing to talk to you the longer they've worked in the store. Unless they know you. And since I'm not a Larper/gamer/etc, they don't know me.

I still think Galway's Sub City is the best store I've been to, even if their stock is generally a bit more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

Just to answer my own question, and in case anyone else is interested (!), the comic book shop beside "The Gathering" in Lower Gerald Griffin St, Limerick has not closed down. It's actually been given a serious makeover and is now much better laid out, with a much better stock. This is good news indeed for we comic fans who dwell on the banks of the Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 julius wendigee

:)
    hairball wrote:
    the third place..hands down...good staff, friendly, approachable,knowledgable, cheaper comics and merch..good games shop downstairs if you're into it

Hairball,was'nt that the nick name of the guy who worked in the Thrid place.The guy with the long hair who was a fan of Akira.Have these people no shame.Some body does need a hair cut,you pete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 lucius fox

:)

Hairball,was'nt that the nick name of the guy who worked in the Thrid place.The guy with the long hair who was a fan of Akira.Have these people no shame.Some body does need a hair cut,you pete.

The guy who your talking about has'nt worked there in donkeys. And last I heard he went to Asia, got a haircut and got married.

hairball wrote:

Isn't Hairball the nickname of the guy who worked in the Third Place.He had long hair and liked Akira.Have they no shame?.Somebody does need a hair cut you Pete.

lucius fox wrote:
    The guy who your talking about has'nt worked there in donkeys. And last I heard he went to Asia, got a haircut and got married.

Thats the guy alright.Worked for the Thrid Place was also an artist"I draw pitchers" as it says in his profile.Same Birthday as well June 19,1971.His full name was Pete Marrey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Hailtothechimp: Where is Lower Gerald Griffin St. would be good to know of a limerick shop when I go west!

Advertisement