Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD + TightVNC

Options
  • 04-10-2004 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm running a tight VNC server on my home PC and would like to be able to connect to it from ucd but i can't get the port for the viewer to work.

The viewer needs 2 ports , anyone know any good ones or a way arround it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Try it from a web browser i.e http://ip_address:5800. Chances are that it maybe locked down on UCD's side?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

try running your tight vnc server on port 80, and connect to it using a webbrowser. This might work as long block unknown ports but don't statefully inspect packets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

you could also use 8080 if you already are serving webpages from 80, and whatever port (21?) ftp runs on is also let through the UCD proxies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

rob1891 wrote:
    you could also use 8080 if you already are serving webpages from 80, and whatever port (21?) ftp runs on is also let through the UCD proxies.

Hi,

Ok the story so far is the VNC uses 2 ports usually cosecutively the first will be for the web page, but then when I connect it opens the second port, this port is blocked.

No matter what iset these ports to be it always seems that the second port is blocked :(

yeah and ftp is blocked :(

i'll be trying the netsoc proxy when it's up but i don't hold out much hope :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I remember hearing about someone in a similar situation i.e. looking to access their home network from behind a work firewall. I think he/she eventually got it going using a HTTP Tunnel through the firewall. Of course, this was contrary to his/her employer's security policies.....

Have you tried asking them to open the ports? Maybe if you can show them that it's essential for your studies.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

tomk wrote:
    Have you tried asking them to open the ports? Maybe if you can show them that it's essential for your studies.....

i'll be cheking out the tunnel thing! i'd ask but its not really essential, i'm only curious and tryingh different web stuff out

Advertisement