Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Redknapp's tackle

• 04-10-2004 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/3711202.stm

Redknapp claims he didn't mean to hurt Cahill!!! As a Sours fan, even I had to say it was a disgraceful challenge, and I doubt there was many watching the highlights (or the match live) who needed ana ction replay to know that. I couldn't believe the only booked him, TBH Poll had a 'mare of a game with his dubiuos non-peno decisions (and in the Bent vs. Edman one, it was either a peno or a dive cos Edman didn't get near the ball, so why no booking for Bent?), and he let Defoe off with the two-footed tackle (only a yellow :confused: )

Toffees fans have every reason to be p*ssed off with the match.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

The recklessone! I think ur name says it all! haha!

Wat happened in the tunnel at half time? why do feckin BBC always mention something like that but not show it! same wit Fulham game when there was a brawl! just mentioned they wudnt show it! talk about being PR right all of a sudden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Big Nelly wrote:
    The recklessone! I think ur name says it all! haha!

:D Not guilty your honour!

Not sure about the brawl, I had to make do with the memory man on RTE2 and hasn't a clue whats going on these days.

It was Atouba vs Weir anyway, thats all I do know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

granted it was a disgracefull tackle. but in Redknapps defence i dont think he meant it the way it turned out. He's not that type of player and never has been. Generally anyone can commit a very bad tackle not in their nature once or twice .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Bad tackle by the most injury prone Premiership player since Anderton ! I think his approach was his normal one - try to shield the ball with his body before playing it. Mind you, he has to be blind not to see Cahill and unbelievably slow in his attempt to try what he was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

cynical stuff. I think he did it on purpose :(

• Advertisement

jolly wrote:
    Mind you, he has to be blind not to see Cahill and unbelievably slow in his attempt to try what he was doing.

Considering the excuse he gave for the tackle, it would have to be both...

He's been charged with violent conduct after Poll agreed he should have given him a red card. I believe Poll said he didn't have a clear view of the tackle, but IIRC he was standing right in front of it when it happened! (please correct me if I'm wrong, I was b*lloxed tried when I watched the highlights on Sunday afternoon, just got home from the UK)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

as i spurs fan i hope he gets a lengthy ban...he is a useless leader and far too slow to run our midfield. doesnt matter cos davis and carrick are back for portsmouth so it wil lbe a full strength midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I thought it was quite a cynical tackle as well....perhaps he didn't mean to put Cahill off with an injury but he defo wanted to hurt him IMO. Saw the highlights on rte, so maybe it was just edited this way, but there appeared to be alot of niggle devloping in the lead up to the challenge and there were some cracy cheap shots going in from both sides. I don't think Poll refed it well....

Ruggie, do you recall if Poll had a good view of the incident? I think he was stood right in front of the two players, with nobody in his line of sight, but I can't be sure.

Ruggie, do you recall if Poll had a good view of the incident? I think he was stood right in front of the two players, with nobody in his line of sight, but I can't be sure.

Afraid i can't....i was just amazed he didn't give him a straight red but then maybe he was so amazed at what he witnessed his mind went into shock and he thought to himself "NAH....i didn't just see that"!!!

Remember a rugby match i was playing in a few years back, where my captain kicked a guy lying on the ground in the face and knocked his two front teeth out (blood everywhere) right in front of the ref....and nothing happened, ref was just so shocked he didn't even register what he had seen till after the game...the brain is a strange thing :eek:

• Advertisement

Ta anyway, think I have the video from the weekend with me, I'll have a look see myself.

Had another look at the footage.

The ref could not have been closer, nobody in his way and more than a couple of feet away. I'm amazed he only gave a yellow.

As for Reddknapp trying to step over the ball to shield it...he caught Cahill on the knee, and the ball was well clear of his left leg at that stage.

Either he meant it (and I agree its out of character for him, but maybe he's getting frustrated with his own lack of fitness and pace?) or his spatial awareness is atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

it will be good to get sean davies back in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Am with you on the ban ... would help us enormously ... JR is as bad as Vinnie Sideways. Davis and Carrick will be undoubted improvements. He couldn't get 8 month ban :D could he ?

jolly wrote:
    Am with you on the ban ... would help us enormously ... JR is as bad as Vinnie Sideways. Davis and Carrick will be undoubted improvements. He couldn't get 8 month ban :D could he ?

Hey, no dissing the V man!!! Great footballer he was. No Steve Sedgely or David Howells? Diss away... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Only saw this today. The was blatant and he should have walked. The refs in the Premiership are all over the place this year. Not normal for Rednapp that kind of tackle thought, Louise mustn't be putting out eh ;)

gandalf wrote:
    Only saw this today. The was blatant and he should have walked. The refs in the Premiership are all over the place this year. Not normal for Rednapp that kind of tackle thought, Louise mustn't be putting out eh ;)

Either that or he had a row with Pamarot on the team coach the match before... ;)

• Either that or he had a row with Pamarot on the team coach the match before... ;)

Dont get it...anyway as a Spurs fan I can say that it was a terrible tackle....poor Cahill......bad fortune seems to follow him.

I have never liked Redknapp.....what's his role? He's not a Roy Keane type hard man but that seems to be the job given to him by Santini.

In my opinion he's another burn out cast off from Liverpool

*cough* John Scales *cough* Michael Owen

In my opinion he's another burn out cast off from Liverpool

*cough* John Scales *cough* Michael Owen
    Actually that's something i've noticed over the years....the number of good players who go to Liverpool and then become crap......babb, mcateer, staunton, dean saunders, kewell, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I did believe him when he said he didn't mean it and that he couldn't do that to someone after the amount of time he spent on the injuries table but having said that, I didn't watch the footage again after seeing the interview. On seeing the tackle the first time, it did strike me as being an atrocious one, and warranting a straight red.

• Advertisement
Advertisement