Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romeo Must Die!

• 24-10-2000 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Dont listen to stu_69, the film was pretty classy and only used the Bullet Time method from The Matrix twice, i think.There was plenty of kung fu and **** kickin goin on to keep ne-one happy,except stu_69 obviously. It also introduced the x-ray thingy, which was nicely done and deserves an applause. At several points Jet Li reminded me of Jackie Chans slickness.
    Its not gonna beat The Matrix, and it didnt try to either.The only thing that could maybe knock The Matrix off its pedestal is The Matrix II.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

i'm not going to knock someone else's opinion - but you have got to be kiddin' this was the biggest load of sh1te and anyone i have talked to who has seen the film has the same opinion. there was no story, plot. ok i'll give you the special effects were alright- but the reason the "bullet time" as you called worked in the matrix was because the matrix was not the real world therefore they could do that kind of stuff. this film is supposed to be *real life* so it just looks stoopid. sorry i'm waffling now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I found the movie to be complete KACK.

Jet Li is an excellent fighter, but it couldn't save this film.

The whole thing seemed like a 2 hour MTV gang rap video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Saw this one last night and was quite disappointed by it. D minus - must do better in future. I don't recall them using the 'bullet time' effect, and if they did use it, the mustn't have used it properly or to full affect because it, along with the useless 'X-Ray shot for the killer blow' sequences added nothing to what Hobbes has rightly labelled as a jumped up 2 hour gangsta rap video. Jet Li IS an excellent fighter, but no- he couldn't save that movie, no matter how hard he tried.

bard.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Consider it as a Hong Kong action movie rather than as a US style movie, and it starts to work a lot better. Jet Li rocks. The dude who played his opposite number (with the sunglasses) rocks. It's got some superb fight sequences (you gotta love the american football bit), and plot... bleh, who cares? It doesn't "ape" the Matrix, it apes the Hong Kong action films that Jet Li has always done, so fair enough.

Essentially it rocks. Get a gang of lads together, have a few beers and watch it on DVD in someones living room. Top stuff.

(Not quite up to the standards of the Black Mask for pure style and kitsch dialogue, but close...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Is it actually out on DVD in the States already? Is that how far behind we are???

bard.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

yep. Sure just got Patriot, American Beauty and U571. Xmen is out soon too on DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

dunno about ireland but american beauty is out on dvd over here for again.
    but then again u-lie7won isn't even out yet
    and i can hardly wait wink.gif

dogbert.gif
    It’s so easy to criticise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

jet li is a good action star, i just read that he is to be in the new luc beson film, the matrix 2 and 3 and also in a remake of the old bruce lee tv series the green hornet. so we'll be seeing a lot of him in the next while.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The thing about Jet Li is that he does his own stunts 9or at least tries) and whatnot. When was the last time you saw someone run up a wall in a pub brawl smile.gif

By altering his stuff with CGI, you are ruining what Jet Li is actually good at.

Regards,
    Robbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Jet Li is an excellent fighter, but it couldn't save this film.

I disagree. Jet Lee isn't that good a fighter compared to the blokes in those really old kung foo films or Bruce Lee.
    Even so, the film is excelent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement