Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Temple Bar Assaults

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just one thing.

It wasn't this site she took it from. I put it on another site too. That is where she got it. She told me that.

(Checking for a copyright notice there).....

There isn't one.

*/Edit

Sorry for the double post on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Copyright is a complex legal minefield but as far as I know as it applies to websites, reproduction of statements of fact as in the eye witness account of the incident given here does not infringe the law,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

ionapaul wrote:
    Incorrect. If I had a method to eliminate (with extreme prejudice!) the perps without placing myself at risk, I would have done so gladly. As that is not possible in our state, I would gladly and enthuisiasticly back / vote in any measure granting the gardai more personnel, greater funding, heavier weapons, etc, to tackle this sort of behaviour.

I am correct though. You wouldn't have done anything unless you had protection.As in shield/weaponry therefore unless you're james bond you will not encounter such a situation and therefore you would wimp out.
    Tbh I dont expect you to do anything, I myself would have saved my ass before the guys.I know it sounds bad but as a race, humans are fairly big cowards, without training/experience in combat etc.
    Theres no point trying to convince yourselves that you would have done something to help the guy because you wouldnt have been able to do fúck all, in a situation like that only trained professionals like the gardai would have been able to take control of the knackers/scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The Muppet wrote:
    You have published your account here so you have put it in the public domain . The journo can quote your account with impunity without your permission.
    Er, no. He's published his account here in public. Public domain only applies if he's formally relinquished all rights to his words or if copyright has expired.

Which begs the question: did she use quotes from your post or just repeat the facts? If she just repeated the facts and used your account as a guide it's not even a derivative work as you're descibing a factual incident. And you can't copyright facts (even in the US the early Feist case put paid to that idea)
    IANAL, but I think that everything here is copyright boards.ie ltd - something to do with the website being considered a form of publishing under Irish law. That and the "© boards.ie Ltd. (Ireland)" on the bottom of each page.

Publishers don't own copyright unless the author gives them the copyright. Seansouth owns his own words (and I realise Dev uses that phrase in a double meaning) unless and until he gives that right away or his right expires .
    seansouth wrote:
    (Checking for a copyright notice there).....
    Don't need one. It's a convention (more to the point, it isn't required in countries that have acceded to the Berne Convention) and makes things easier. You don't give it away unless you give it away. Despite a former Daily Mirror editor making a comment that "you can't copyright anything on the Internet". He got hammered for that one but I don't remember the name of the case.

Depends what she used. Direct quotes of what you've posted here or on the other site without your permission and they've breached your copyright. If this is the case, feel free to fling **** with righteous indignation at whoever edits the Herald, assuming they've actually got a ringmaster in that zoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Exactly what I meant but try explaining it to the kneejerks. I'd say plenty of people here have witnessed enough fights to realise how confusing things quickly become and how the situation is not always what it first appears to be.
    Best let them at it in that case, I suppose...we'll sort it out later...(when the poor lad is in hospital / the ground)...terribly confusing, to be sure to be sure.

Sorry, I'm being a bit of a prick again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Shes a young jurno with a "wonderful story" what with "Battlefield Dublin" she was always going to run with it once she had the basic elements of the story, you are kidding yourself if you thought otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

ionapaul wrote:
    Best let them at it in that case, I suppose...we'll sort it out later...(when the poor lad is in hospital / the ground)...terribly confusing, to be sure to be sure.

Sorry, I'm being a bit of a prick again!
    You said "If I had a method to eliminate (with extreme prejudice!) the perps without placing myself at risk, I would have done so gladly" which would at best be a foolish course of action and which at worst looks like a load of wannabe vigilante bluster nonsense which is no help to anyone. Sometimes when I or people I know have been attacked or have witnessed attacks, I've found the gardai to be brilliant and helpful, sometimes they've been useless, sometimes they're nowhere to be seen, sometimes a vanful of them appears immediately. I'm not convinced giving them guns would help matters. By all means, put an armed to the teeth cop on every corner 24 hours a day, but mister and mrs taxpayer ain't going to pay for the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't like dragging up old threads, and I know this was on the second page. It's probably the last time I'll post to it anyway.

I headed in to Pearse St Garda Station at 11.30, and started give my statement at 11.45. I was with the detective for an hour and a half. The statement is nine pages long, and I included every detail.

They asked me about the Herald too, said it was no problem what was printed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Redleslie2 wrote:
    By all means, put an armed to the teeth cop on every corner 24 hours a day, but mister and mrs taxpayer ain't going to pay for the cost.

Actually Mr Bertie and Mrs Mary arent prepared to risk finding out whether or not we taxpayers want safer streets.

Until a tourist is seriously injured or killed of course. Even then they would probably only move closing time back to 8pm.

Where are all the Gardai these days - there were hundreds in evidence when we had the EU presidency - are we paying for it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Actually Mr Bertie and Mrs Mary arent prepared to risk finding out whether or not we taxpayers want safer streets.

?

that fact we whinge about every "stealth" tax and increase in the price of drink means you can gurantee we would not be happy with an increase in income tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Jesus*********
    Those guys should be punished the way so that they can't even think of anything about things like this. I say atleast 10 years behind bars in harsh cnodition.
    Thank you very much for posting it!
    Garda are becoming lazy and lazy each day, they should actually be prompt in these incidents.

I suggest we should have a new room name either "Crime Report" or " mishappenings" as these info will certainly help everyone to be more vigilent

Any way, thanks SEANSOUTH for fulfilling a citizen's duties.

AC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

This happens alll too often and the gardai and goverment dont even do enough to stop it. instead there dealing with unimportan stuff like trying to sop all the underagers from drinking, if they want to drink they can. spend your recorces on the real criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Cindy Love

im am deeply disturbed ,saddened and disappointed that out country for which we are all proud of could harbour such scum.Our thoughts should be with those injured (physically) in the attacks but also those who unfortunaltey witnessed somethng so horrifying.I hope that those in the courts make an example of this idiots.
    On a personal level i completly empathise with the original post-'er'.Ive been a witness to some crazy **** in the USA and have been truly impressed by how seriuos the cops ARE taken and how serious they take THEMSELVES.This is a good thing.After all it is they who ultimately serve us and maintain the piece.
    Secondly on the topic of stepping in to the fight.I have done this in the past on Oconnell street(to be specific) a friend was getting(theres no easy way of saying this) the crap knocked out of him.I stepped in and i must stress this point was LUCKILY able to handle myself well enough and took on 2 lads.They,the scum, quickly scarpered while yours truly was arrested by the cops!(ironic eh?)
    My friend spent the night in casualty got a broken nose and couple of stitches.
    Moral of the story-I wouldnt let my gf ,sister, walk around town on their own regardless of time and if i can avoid walkin around town on my own at night i do.
    Its a bit ****ed up that we have this problem in Ireland.I mean ive travelld a bit and ive never come across this **** elsewhere-ive even stayed in Harlem and brooklyn!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

that fact we whinge about every "stealth" tax and increase in the price of drink means you can gurantee we would not be happy with an increase in income tax.

in all fairness there's a slight difference. People will obviously react differently to "we're charging 5c on chewing gum to clean up after you" than "we're raising taxes slightly to keep the streets safely policed at night in an effort to avoid ultra-violent beatings"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Cindy Love wrote:
    im am deeply disturbed ,saddened and disappointed that out country for which we are all proud of could harbour such scum.
    Huh? With the possible exception of the Vatican this is something that you can and will see in any country in the world.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

How many scumbags were there?

Sounds alot like what happened in Cavan town not so long ago, scumbags hanging around the square fighting with people coming out of nite club's around the town. There was 30 or 40 of them (alot of them just finished their terms in jail), going around with broken bottles etc. Absolutely no Garda presence at all. They only came when a number of people were injured.

The Gardai should have a little bit of common sense and police these areas at this time in the morning when people are just leaving the nite clubs. It is a peak time for street violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Gardai should be every where especially around the boarding streets of Temple bar.This kind of stuff dosent just happen when a boards member is there to witness it, it happens basically every Friday and Saturday night.
    I have seen and heard about what happens to some people, and sometimes the Gardai are to blame but mainly its the scumbags...It is an awful thing to live with in Dublin especially if you live in problem areas such as Ballymun, Finglas and Cabra and other places but we'll just have to accept it because its the scumbags/travellers that rule in Dublin and its just something we'll have to deal with and live with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 algorithim

I live in Terenure and very rarley see trouble. When I go out the odd time that I do there is never much trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Dathai wrote:
    Gardai should be every where especially around the boarding streets of Temple bar.This kind of stuff dosent just happen when a boards member is there to witness it, it happens basically every Friday and Saturday night.
    I have seen and heard about what happens to some people, and sometimes the Gardai are to blame but mainly its the scumbags...It is an awful thing to live with in Dublin especially if you live in problem areas such as Ballymun, Finglas and Cabra and other places but we'll just have to accept it because its the scumbags/travellers that rule in Dublin and its just something we'll have to deal with and live with.
    we dont have to deal with it we can fix it there is more of us than them just most ppl are scared to fight for there right to walk along the streets with no fear

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you're as quick to react to a fight as you are to a post, there won't be much left of yer man you're trying to save.

vigilante.jpg

Advertisement