Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duel - Speilberg the master of suspense.

• 04-10-2004 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Anyone catch this gem last night. It was on really late. I usually check what films were on in the pick of the day on the ireland on sunday. no mention tho.

One man head to head against a faceless enemy. It had me gripped thyroughout. Im surprised they havent tried to remake it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Yeah it's a classic. One of the best "crank up the dread" films i've seen. Love the school bus bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Did not see "Duel" last night, but I do consider it one of Spielberg's greatest and earliest example's of his masterful talent as a Director.

A great - edge of the seat - thriller from beginning to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Paddy20 wrote:
    one of Spielberg's greatest and earliest example's of his masterful talent as a Director.
    Absolutely. It's about 90 minutes long and Spielberg manages to keep the focus on one character for that long, which is quite some achievement. Shame he followed it up with so much sentimental pap later mixed in with the good stuff (ET covered both) but that's another discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Duel what can you say, its not as good the second/third/fourth(!) time round
    but the first time its a killer flick. And thats the 90 min version I'm talking about. It was first shown on ABC (I think) as a "movie of the week" running at just 73 mins and by all accounts thats the best version. It got fleshed out so it could sustain a European cinema release. Ironicly it was later given a limited US release! Its got all Spielbergs strengths and suggests he should go back to low-budget tv shooting schedules.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

First time I saw this movie I was about 9 yrs old. It was part UTV's "Murder, Mystery & Suspense" series of "made for TV" and low budget cinema movies.
    I was glued to my seat then... couldn't take my eyes away from the screen.
    Everytime I see this movie I'm so impressed by how so much was achieved from so little. There's practically no dialogue, few special effects and very little story... yet it's immensely gripping and holds your interest from start to finish.
    Definately el Speilbergo's finest work... pity he had to get greedy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

First time I saw this movie I was about 9 yrs old. It was part UTV's "Murder, Mystery & Suspense" series of "made for TV" and low budget cinema movies.
    I was glued to my seat then... couldn't take my eyes away from the screen.
    Everytime I see this movie I'm so impressed by how so much was achieved from so little. There's practically no dialogue, few special effects and very little story... yet it's immensely gripping and holds your interest from start to finish.
    Definately el Speilbergo's finest work... pity he had to get greedy!

Wow, i have'nt heard "Murder, Mystery and Suspense" metioned in a long time, i used to love it , right up there with Tales of the Unexpected and Alfred Hitchcock presents

I too seen Duel at an early age, have it on VHS ( Tried to get it on DVD but only seen US ormat on Amazon )

One of the best road movies ever made and as good a debut as you could hope fo considering SS had'nt got two cents to rub together to make it.

One of the things i used to wonder when i first seen it as a kid , was there maybe a supernatrol suggustion that there was no driver , the truck was driving itself ala Christine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

D-FENS wrote:
    One of the things i used to wonder when i first seen it as a kid , was there maybe a supernatrol suggustion that there was no driver , the truck was driving itself ala Christine?
    Don't forget he waves his hand out the window a few times. And just before the truck goes off the cliff the guy puts the truck up a gear and you can see his hand there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

D-FENS wrote:
    septre wrote:
    Don't forget he waves his hand out the window a few times. And just before the truck goes off the cliff the guy puts the truck up a gear and you can see his hand there as well.

You also get to see the side of the truck driver's head, (sort of a back of the head and to the side view), and you see his sunglasses in the reflection of his own rear-view mirror. You never get a full view of his face, just a snatch glimpse at little areas.
    It's definately some random truck-driving maniac guy type dude!! :eek:
    I must "aquire" a copy of it and watch again... I'm really annoyed at myself that I missed on the tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

mike65 wrote:
    Its got all Spielbergs strengths and suggests he should go back to low-budget tv shooting schedules.

Especially given The Terminal.

Dennis Weaver's daughter in law was one of those killed a few years ago when a car ploughed into some people in California killing 8. Not particularly good trivia, agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Just did a quick search on Denis Weaver. Must be short on cash, he's selling his gaf. http://www.dennisweaver.com/earthshipforsale.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement