Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to set up wireless - What do I do?

• 04-10-2004 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi,
    I need to set up a wireless assembly point for a downstairs application. I really dont know where to start. I have a broadband connection with IOL and the router is attached to the computer via USB upsatirs. How do I replace this or intergrate it with a wireless application. I waant to use an xbox in a downstairs room, but havent the foggiest as to what equipment to buy and how to set it up. Can I use the existing router or is that a silly question.

My original question is also below

I have an xbox and a broadband connection which runs on my computer in an upsatirs room. My xbox is downstairs. I was wondering about a few things.
    Once I get the Xbox Live starter kit can I,
    1) Just disconnect the modemn and attach it to the xbox dowstairs. Will it work this way.
    2) How do I get a wireless application onto my existion set up which is a broadband router connected to my computer via a usb hub. Do i just get a wireless assembley point and bobs your Uncle.

I would appreciate any help with this matter. I am etching to get onto live A.S.A.P.

Cheers,

Ice

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

To make the x-box wireless you will need something like the Linksys Game Adapter which is basically a jobbie that plugs into the xbox and can then communicate wirelessly with whatever access point you have.

To share your connection (especially seeing as you are using a USB modem) you should get a combo wirelss accesspoint/router/adsl modem - the Linksys WAG54g is one such - DLink and Netgear make similar items.

Of course somebody who is actually using the xbox may have a more suitable solution !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

yeah I saw the Linksys Game Adapter and that seems to be the boy alright. However when you say the Linksys WAG54g does this device run through your existing Usb connected router , or do you replace the router IOL/Esat have given me.

Also whats this router like , should you replace it anyway , does it make a difference to your speed or connectivity as free items are alsway mass produced and low quality.

Thanks again

The WAG54g would replace the modem given to you by esat - really its one box that does it all - 1 cable goes to your phone port, 1 to your power and you're off...

If you just have a USB modem it makes sharing messier and the PC it is plugged in to would have to be always on etc...

Excuse my ignorance , but how does the router connect to the computer. Does my computer have to have special specifications or something, and will the router enable me to hook up other devices that are in different rooms, ie laptops etc.

Thanks again!!

The clients (pcs or xbox) can connect wirelessly if they have wireless cards or can also be hardwired if they have ethernet ports - the linksys unit has four ethernet ports for wired connections..

in my setup the phone line termiates inside the hall door. The WAG54g is connected to it and sits on a shelf. My PC and laptop and media server all conenct to it via wireless cards - this means full portability etc and no wires hanging around..

when you setup the combo unit you need to conenct to it using a lpatop or whatever (the instructions will tell you all) and put in your own specific details eg username/password for BroadBand, relevant settings for your type of connection etc.

• Advertisement

So let me get this right.

So maybe what I can do is:

Set up the WAG54g where my primary phone line in the hall is (just plug it into the hall socket , then plug the phone into it)

Then get a wireless card for my pc and a Linksys adapter for the xbox.

Is that a possibility?

Your patients is noted!!thanks for helping a dumbass like myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Not to confuse you more but for gaming a direct cable connection is best, wireless connections can sometimes fluctuate which has an effect on gaming performance.....

So now so.

Yip thats more or less it:

Put a splitter microfilter in your hall socket (you prob got this at the beginning),
    Plug your phone into the splitter port marked phone and the DSL lead into the socket marked DSL,
    Plug your DSL lead into the WAG54g .

Now.. you have to configure the WAG - you will have to connect to it using the ethernet port - your PC should pick up an automatic address and you just point your browser to 192.168.1.1 and login to the WAG - there are just a few settings needed to get you up and running - these will be things like:
    - username/password for broadband,
    - type of encaspulation , VLC LLC - these will be on your providers homepage somewhere and where to put ithem in will be obvious (first screen),
    - after this you should be able to connect to broadband.
    - you can then browse the web from your connected PC

-You will need to setup the wireless side of things eg WEP (security) SSID ("name" of your access point etc - this is all done through the same interface _or_ you could leave it as is and just let the devices connect openly without security. This means your neighbour could too !

When you're finished and happy and relaxed you can go back in to the WAG (wired or wirelessly) and change the admin password just for safety...

What I suggest is - get it working using a wired connection first and see how that goes, then go do the wireless bells 'n' whistles...

Had thought about that allright velcrow.

Now one final thing that somebody might shed light on.

If I had a standerd router to phone line connection upsatirs wich is connected to my computer via Usb. I then have the X box online connected through another router downstairs. Can you go online at the same time with both applications.

Cheers

When you say router do you actually mean the modem supplied by IOL or UTV or whoever ? If so then that won't work ( I think only one modem can dial up at a time) However if you have one central router which is directly connected to the DSL line (combo) or one upstream modem then all the devices on your network side of the router would be able to share the conenction seamlessly...eg I can have internet radio upstairs and herself can be browsing the web downstairs..

• Advertisement

Thanks Parsi,

Really grateful for the help you have given, I will probably go down the wireless road immediately with your advice there allright. The reason is that I have limited connections and ones that are there are in awkward parts of the rooms etc and I just do not have the appetite to start running cables all over the place, boring holes and so on, plus Im crap at it and would make a mess of it im sure.

Thanks again

You're welcome - I can't comment on the gaming side of it but for normal use wireless is the way to go - no cabling no messing - its more sociable to be downstairs surfing than locked away upstairs. I laso have a linksys Wireless Media Adapter which is plugged into the Tv/surround SOund and can takes the MP3s from the host pc and plays them. Also does images which means we get to look at holiday pictures that might otherwise never be looked at

Yeah its the standard netopia IOL router! Hey I ment to ask you about the media centre a while ago , please shed some light on that number. I also have to keep 'herself happy', when I connected the xbox downstairs I had wires from one end of the room to the other, then she wanted to browse the web and there was major nagging in to follow. That is one of the resons I need to get this sorted big style, otherwise,eithier the wife or the xbox goes , and I would really love to hang onto both of em. At 29 Im feeling guily about the xbox as it is.

Cheers

The unit is a Linksys Wireless Media Adapter WMA11b - it lugs into an S-video (or plain video) port in TV and has normal analog audio putputs - I put them into my surround sound but they could go into the TV as well (you may need scart adapters deepnding on what inputs the TV has). You load media centre software on the host PC, tell it where the files are and off it goes. Turn on the WMA (set it up using a wired connection if possible - its easier, you can go wireless afterwards) - it connects and gives a menu for what music you want etc - you can watch images (no video) with your music playing away in the background.

Its good, keeps people happy, doesn't do internet radio and means the kids can look at the pictures easier than if they were huddled around the PC...

Food for thought on that one, you really are a wealth of information, and I thought I knew a bit about gadgets etc, Im only a novice!!

Without going off on another tangent completely , ever know of a dedicated MP player for the car. I know that there available for something like 999Euros or something, or a docking system , but can you just throw a shock resistant harddrive and hook it up to speakers or soemthing. It would be good to seamlessy tranfer MP3 song to your car without having to burn onto a cd and then play in a CD compatible player. Know of any alternatives without using a standard MP3 player and then the cassette option which is crap.

So much things to get and so much money for them , its a killer blow!!

Cheers

Here is where I bow out gracefully....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Get an Ipod with a griffen technology itrip - I have used it for a year no complaints and did not cost 999 - devilishly expensive

Advertisement