Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Ratoath, County Meath

Options
  • 04-10-2004 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,

I live in Rathoath and have recently discovered that the exchange my line is on is now BB capable - my neighbour in the same estate has it already installed - but when eircom tested my line they just said it "failed" with no other explaination or what could be done.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madboggar

I live out here in kilcock Co.Kildare, I have been looking to get broadband installed into my house. I contacted Eircom about getting this and they informed me that the Kilcock Exchange was enabled for Broadband. I asked him to check my Line and he did, as usual the line came back as failed. When i asked the guy when was the engineer going to come and repair the line he told me that this was not his problem and eircom in other words were not dealing with this. I informed the Guy on the line that the lines belong to eircom and that my house was only 2 years old and i just live litterly 5mins from the local Exchange. He told me that he did not have to give a reason why the line failed. And that was That.

After this call i had a look at other numbers in the Kilcock area, not one of the lines out of 20 worked.

Does this mean that Kilcock is Broadband enabled, I ask you what the F*** are we paying Line rental for if EIRCOM are going to do absolutly nothing to sort out these problems out, it is a total disgrace.

" Pissed in Kildare "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Wecome to surreal world of eircom land where making
    Romania and Albania look good is the name of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭DavidByrne1969

I hear you brother, have to tried any other services?

Wireless etc?

I got some bitch on the phone today who just would let me speak, no BB for you was all I was hearing, no reasons.
    Called back later and got someone who at least knew what the deal was. Will check my phone line again in a month and see has anything chanced, they test the lines once a month and update the database.

What gets me is the testing, with their trial they could at least set it up and then see if BB will work, I mean their test procedure could be crap..

kinda forced to look into wireless now.

Best of Luck

I have tried everything from wireless to satelite but no one will go near the place. Digiweb who are now in cork will not come past trim. I do not no why these wireless Companys can not set up masts at Exchanges and let the custmers connect this way. Just like they are doing with the mobile masts etc. It is a total disgrace...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

madboggar wrote:
    I have tried everything from wireless to satelite but no one will go near the place. Digiweb who are now in cork will not come past trim. I do not no why these wireless Companys can not set up masts at Exchanges and let the custmers connect this way. Just like they are doing with the mobile masts etc. It is a total disgrace...

The main reason is probably something like "why would eircom make their exchanges available to a competitor unless they were forced to?" (like in local loop unbundling)

Also, I suspect most exchanges don't make good high sites for broadband masts.

• Advertisement

Maybe you are right - i think i will have to get use to 28.8 for a long while yet.. ah well so much for the digital revolution...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Not to mention the massive cost of doing something like that. Just look at how much it cost the mobile operators to build out their network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

madboggar wrote:
    Maybe you are right - i think i will have to get use to 28.8 for a long while yet.. ah well so much for the digital revolution...
    If you can't get any better than 28.8 then the problem, in all likelyhood, is that your line has been "split" - even though you're paying full line rental, you're actually sharing your line with a neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 joetighe

Hi all,

I live in Rathoath and have recently discovered that the exchange my line is on is now BB capable - my neighbour in the same estate has it already installed - but when eircom tested my line they just said it "failed" with no other explaination or what could be done.

Any ideas how to proceed?

www.icecomms.net is your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Would this be the Joe Tighe regional GBS coordinator? :)

http://www.meath.ie/Broadband/index.html#regional_coordinator

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I really hope that a regional GBS co-ordinator is not pimping a particular broadband company on IrelandOffline's forum? Such blantant pimping of a company/product is usually "frowned upon" by users and is considered bad etiquette (not to mention the dragging up of old posts).

It would be disappointing to see a GBS co-ordinator pimping a particular company as the co-ordinators are supposed to be technology neutral and should not be promoting one particular service over another. Perhaps he is looking to get himself several months free as per that company's offer?

So, are you pimping this company while you are a GBS co-ordinator Joe or are you no longer a GBS co-ordinator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

viking wrote:
    I really hope that a regional GBS co-ordinator is not pimping a particular broadband company on IrelandOffline's forum? Such blantant pimping of a company/product is usually "frowned upon" by users and is considered bad etiquette (not to mention the dragging up of old posts).
    Who better than a regional GBS coordinator to know what sevices are available in Rathoath? Unless you know for a fact that other wireless services are available in Rathoath, I think you should retract your accusation and apologize.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Foxwood wrote:
    I think you should retract your accusation and apologize.

LOL , is that you Ripwave ?????

Note his use of the word "particular" BTW and check Joes other recent posts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Foxwood wrote:
    I think you should retract your accusation and apologize.

This is the Ireland Offline forum. This is not a democracy it's a forum with rules.
    One of those rules is no pimping and another is not dragging up posts from prehistory.

Get over it.

Foxwood wrote:
    Who better than a regional GBS coordinator to know what sevices are available in Rathoath? Unless you know for a fact that other wireless services are available in Rathoath, I think you should retract your accusation and apologize.

If it was a single post by Joe to let someone know what was available in a particular area then fair enough. However, I would expect a government appointed GBS co-ordinator (who actually didn't identify himself as a government appointed GBS co-ordinator, thanks JWT) to give more than a one line answer that could be construed as pimping and I would also expect a government appointed GBS co-ordinator not to be pimping a particular company in other threads with one line posts.

I'm going to assume joetighe's account was hijacked as he hadn't posted since September '05 until the 5 posts that appeared last night which all contained the same line.

TBH I had assumed it was an honest post in the thread I queried. I hadn't spotted the OP date :(

In that instance the operator mentioned is a valid service provider for the location.

But after seeing similar posts both in IOFFL and broadband I can only assume that, as Viking says, his account has been hijacked or it is not the same Joe Tighe.

If it is the same Joe Tighe then the question becomes why didn't he resurrect other threads asking for broadband where the answer would have been digiweb, lastmile, fastnet etc etc.

Or there may well be a completely innocent explanation and although one doesn't spring to mind you never know.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

viking wrote:
    If it was a single post by Joe to let someone know what was available in a particular area then fair enough. However, I would expect a government appointed GBS co-ordinator (who actually didn't identify himself as a government appointed GBS co-ordinator, thanks JWT) to give more than a one line answer that could be construed as pimping and I would also expect a government appointed GBS co-ordinator not to be pimping a particular company in other threads with one line posts.
    According to www.broadband.gov.ie, the only fixed wireless provider that serves Dunboyne and Rathoath is Ice Comms. It seems pretty reasonable to me that a GBS coordinator would search Boards for threads that cover his area (threads with Rathoath, Dunboyne or Co Meath in them), and provide the answer that he's most familiar with. If he was pimping, I'd expect to see answers to questions about coverage in west Dublin too, as IceComms coveragemap says they have service there too. So a Regional GBS coordinator answered questions about service in the region he's responsible for. Nobody has provided any information to suggest that other wireless providers service the areas specificaly mentioned, so it's not exactly surprising that IceComm was the only answer provided.

The question still stands - does anyone know for a fact that there are other wireless providers servicing Dunboyne, Rathoath and South County Meath?
    I'm going to assume joetighe's account was hijacked as he hadn't posted since September '05 until the 5 posts that appeared last night which all contained the same line.
    I'm going to assume that he has far better things to be doing with his time than spend it on boards, and that, as an inexperienced user, he didn't realize that some of the posts he replied to were (very) old. But then that's just me - I don't have the sort of persecution complex that seems to be common on this board.

The only dog that I have in this fight is that I used to work with someone who lived in Rathoath, and they were stuck on ISDN. (They couldn't get IceComms at the time because of line of sight issues, and I don't know if their situation has changed in the last 6 months or so, but given their location, DSL probaby isn't ever going to be an option). So I find it helpful when people answer questions (even old questions) and find wasters who have nothing better to do with their time than accuse others of being "pimps" to be less than useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Foxwood wrote:
    According to www.broadband.gov.ie, the only fixed wireless provider that serves Dunboyne and Rathoath is Ice Comms.
    That site is complete crap.

The co-ordinator (were it he) is the co-ordinator for all of Kildare Meath Wicklow .

So Why only answer

a) queries that are months old and
    b) recommend one carrier to all of them and
    c) benefit one small area in the three counties .

I have seen scads of queries about Kildare and Wickila over the past while on Boards....all unanswered and all in areas not covered by that carrier either.

OTOH were any Co-ordinator to make it their business to inform everyone in their catchment area of what their options are or might be then I can think of nowhere better than Boards to provide such a service .

and find wasters who have nothing better to do with their time than accuse others of being "pimps" to be less than useless.

I think perhaps you should do a little bit of research on Viking, try searching for his previous posts, before accusing him of being a waster. HINT: try searching broadband4kinnegad, ioffl commitee, etc.

Given his level of contribution to IOFFL and broadband in Ireland, calling him a waster is doing nothing for your argument.

I stand by my question
    If it is the same Joe Tighe then the question becomes why didn't he resurrect other threads asking for broadband where the answer would have been digiweb, lastmile, fastnet etc etc.

For example Clonard, longwood, enfield etc all have questions here going back in time, all have alternative suppliers other than icecomms :)

John

EDIT: I'll email Joe tonight re this thread and ask for his comment.

And I'm feeling particularly proud of not actually denying that Viking is a waster either :)

I haven't read your response in full Foxwood, so rather than us argue between whether Joe's post was pimping or not I think they only thing left to say is:

Perhaps Joe himself could clarify the situation?

• Advertisement
Advertisement