Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap beer on tap

• 04-10-2004 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

I read recently enough that certain members of the VFI were considering introducting cheap beer on tap in a bite-back against the high prices diageo is charging for their beers. Bavaria was the beer mentioned.

Now I want to see if any of you people know any fine institutions in dublin who've gone the way of introducing some low cost beers and if so, how much?

To start the ball rolling, as I've said a few times, I was quite surprised to see a the rebranded Handle's pub near christchurch selling pints of Guinness for 3euro and most lagers 3.50...

Oh and another pub, Bodkins I think, a DIT hangout, they sell cheap fosters I believe, not sure how much...

So, anyone know any cheap boozers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I noticed that the globe on georges st were selling bavaria on tap for €3 i think it was as a promotion.... dont know if they are keeping it or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

My local "The Traders" on St.James Road, Walkinstown sells that Bavaria beer. Seen it there at the weekend on tap for €2.90 a pint.

Does anyone know what it's like ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

its kind of like dutch gold....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

i've seen bums on the street drinking it and students drinking it... that says it all for me really ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Fosters has been introduced in tons of places for 3euro a pint and bavaria is along the same lines of dutch but id say it tastes that bit nicer on tap, for 2.90 I wouldnt refuse drinking it anyway.

• Advertisement

ferdi wrote:

Sorry mate , haven't tasted that either.

I've been sort of put off buying Bavaria beer. The major reason is the name, it's just stupid. The stuff is Dutch !!! and why is it named after a region in Germany ??

This doesn't instill alot of confidence, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Fosters is usually pretty cheap everywhere, isn't it?

I'd say this Baveria thing will take off everywhere now. The DCU student bar are gonna be selling it for €3. I thought it would have been more expensive in normal pubs, but perhaps not.

It's not too bad, but I'd prefer Dutch Gold...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

You should find what you are looking for here.....

http://www.drinkfeckgirls.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

ferdi wrote:
    Only in price. It gives a rotten hangover and has a very rough after taste. Despite it's bad reputation, Dutch Gold is a far better beer than most of the other cheap cans.

agreed, bavaria is rough, much worse than dutch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

TBH I think it's all to do with personal taste or whatever you got used to drinking first...

I'd say the opposite to the above for myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Lodgepole wrote:
    Only in price. It gives a rotten hangover and has a very rough after taste. Despite it's bad reputation, Dutch Gold is a far better beer than most of the other cheap cans.

dutch gold i always thought was alright... could easily killa few cans of that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

uggghhh..... dutch gold is mankalicious

Anyways the outback do fosters on tap, get a pitcher (3 1/2 pints) for 10 Euros.

Thats 2.85 Euros per pint if your interested, buy in bulk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

the gingerman on fenian street does pitchers of craft brew. ale for 12 euro and lager for 11 euro. tis from the franciscan wel in cork. great stuff so it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭BabyEater

The Malt House in Dundalk does Labattes for €3 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Verdammt wrote:
    My local "The Traders" on St.James Road, Walkinstown sells that Bavaria beer. Seen it there at the weekend on tap for €2.90 a pint.

Does anyone know what it's like ??

Speaking as someone who, until recently, lived in the Netherlands quite close to the place where Bavaria is brewed, I think it's got a bad rap here in Ireland. It's a very old and established brewery in the area, and has quite a hold in the various pubs around there. For anyone that's interested , it's made in a place called Lieshout in Brabant in the south of the Netherlands.

Fo some reason they can sell it quite cheaply here, and that doesn't give it the necessary cachet or snob value to be considered worth drinking here. A bit like people who look down their noses at Skoda cars ....

Verdammt wrote:
    I've been sort of put off buying Bavaria beer. The major reason is the name, it's just stupid. The stuff is Dutch !!! and why is it named after a region in Germany ??

No idea why it's called what it is, but the brewery itself dates back to 1719, making it one of the oldest breweries in the Netherlands ... and it was called Bavaria back then too.

Take a look at http://www.bavariahollandbeer.us/history.html

Alun wrote:
    No idea why it's called what it is, but the brewery itself dates back to 1719, making it one of the oldest breweries in the Netherlands ... and it was called Bavaria back then too.

Take a look at http://www.bavariahollandbeer.us/history.html

Thanks for that, I will view it in a different light from now on. :p:):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Alun wrote:

Maybe it's called that to commemorate the campaign in Bavaria during the War of Spanish Sucession where Dutch troops formed a large part of the army of John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough?

This campaign culminated in the Battle of Blenheim, August 13, 1704, where Marlborough's British-Dutch-Danish-Prussian-Hessian-Hanoverian army and Prince Eugene of Savoy's Austrian army defeated a French and Bavarian army, under Count Camille de Tallard and the Elector of Bavaria (Maximilian II Emmanuel). It was fought in Bavaria but it saved Holland from a French invasion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blenheim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I have to say as a former dutch gold drinker that moved onto bavaria, I would never go back, once you get the taste for bavaria, dutch gold tastes watered down and just plain cheap, kind of like budweiser. Even the can is cheaper feeling, its made of much lighter aluminium. I used to work in an offy and you can really feel the difference in the weight of a case of one against the other.

• Advertisement

bud is disgusting, i had a lovely few dutch there the other night, i was in a field so that made them taste even better. although my drink of choice is smithwicks, i love that stuff (and i drank it before it started to get trendy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What about Murphy's? That's still pretty damn cheap. Cheaper than Guinness even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Bavaria actually isnt a half bad beer. was drinking it all today and true enough i do have a bit of a headache from the stuff but its damn well drinkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Callan

My local sells pints of labatt for €3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The Aberly (spl?) Court in Tallaght has pints of Amstel for €3, I've seen Fosters somewhere for €3 also, can't remember where though, possibly the Bell in Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

most draught beer here is piss. if bavaria charged €6 a pint and had ads on tv with horses kicking footballs around or lads who lived in football stadiums with a rake of supermodels people would suddenly think it tasted great, "oh it costs €6 a pint and its on the telly, it must be good"

Drink some decent budvar, pilsner urquell or staropramen and then hit the boozer when your taste buds are suitably numb so you can cope with the taste of the dire shlte they serve.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Alun wrote:
    Speaking as someone who, until recently, lived in the Netherlands quite close to the place where Bavaria is brewed, I think it's got a bad rap here in Ireland. It's a very old and established brewery in the area, and has quite a hold in the various pubs around there. For anyone that's interested , it's made in a place called Lieshout in Brabant in the south of the Netherlands.

Fo some reason they can sell it quite cheaply here, and that doesn't give it the necessary cachet or snob value to be considered worth drinking here. A bit like people who look down their noses at Skoda cars ....

While it tastes different here (sweeter for a start, and with huge froth capacities), it's still piss in comparison to most local beers. Now if youse could get Hertog Jan on tap you'd be laughing.

While it tastes different here (sweeter for a start, and with huge froth capacities), it's still piss in comparison to most local beers. Now if youse could get Hertog Jan on tap you'd be laughing.

I've never tried the draught Bavaria they sell here (here = Ireland) so I can't comment, but the canned stuff, especially for the price isn't bad, and certainly can't be classed as "piss". I'll reserve that description for pretty much anything mainstream American such as Coors, Budweiser (not the real one), Miller etc.

Anyhow, if you're used to a certain beer, whatever it's pedigree, then anything new always tastes a bit "unusual" for a while, but your tastebuds become accustomed to it after a while.

Advertisement