Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A mad idea I need feedback on...

Options
  • 04-10-2004 5:17pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hyzepher and I were talking about how much the little extra silly things we do at SA make it worthwhile sometimes.

We were also talking about how gambling with other peoples is itself a unique delight ...

Which led to this rather loony idea.

We take 100-200 (10% of the pool) out of the prize pool just before we all sit down to play. We take that money and we ALL go to the roulette table as a group. We put said money on Red or Black (decided by which colour is shouted for the loudest of course :) ) and we let the ball ride...

If we win we put the original money AND the winnings back into the pool, if we lose we lose and the pool is trimmed a little.

The fact is that each individual prize would be trimmed by 10% if we lost (though we'd probably keep the "get your money back" prizes the same and take a little more off the profitable prizes"). If we win we'd give each a little more (or maybe extend the prize list a little).

Ok, this idea just occured to us last month and beyond "haha that sounds like a hoot" I havent thought it through yet.

Since noone knows who's going to win and 4/5's of us wont notice anyway I cant see an objection to a bit of fun. If the amount is kept low so that if we lose it doesnt seriously impact the pool (5-10% I think). Might be a bit of gas...

What do you think? Feedback welcomed...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Interesting idea.. Of course you're not even getting 50/50 odds... So, as a long term plan it is unprofitable.. Could be interesting for a once-off though..

I'd suggest it as a concept for next month's game, cos if you try and include it in this evening's game, you'll get alot of shouts of 'I didn't know the prize-money was going to be gambled by the Suited Aces crowd on the BlackJack table' kind of thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I think you're stark raving mad. Just kidding. Good idea, run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I disagree, I'm going to play poker not roulette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

I curse the gambling monster that has enslaved Marge..I call him Gamblor..

good idea though, you could get a vote while people are registering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Sound's like fun, Would be better to take a smaller amount and whack it on some thing with better odds. take 50 and put it on one number and increase prize fund by 1750! or 4 numbers still adds 500 to pot. No-one will miss it!
    Then we could put it all on trap 4 in the next race
    Then put all the winnings on black
    Then get a blackjack on the high limit table
    Then put it all into the Lotto and we'll be playing for a couple of mill! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

DeVore wrote:

We take 100-200 (10% of the pool) out of the prize pool just before we all sit down to play. We take that money and we ALL go to the roulette table as a group. We put said money on Red or Black (decided by which colour is shouted for the loudest of course :) ) and we let the ball ride...

All you are doing is giving away 1.35% of whatever you stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Idea doesn't really appeal to me. To quote the Devil
    I'm going to play poker not roulette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

All your doing is delaying the start of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Personally I'd rather see it invested in either best hand or worst bad beat of the night. With best hand you could have it for quads or beter, with bad beat it could be a house of Aces or better....

if nobody wins it you could carry it over to the next month and do the same again. That way you're guaranteed that one of us rather than the house gets it, and if somebody either gets the best hand and doesn't finish in the money, or goes out on the worst bad beat, then they get a break!!

Anybody got positive or negative feedback on this idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

hey it's kinda like a classic holdem situation.......2 over cards and a pair.......psychology out the window......50-50.......put the rule book away......

eh no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Iago wrote:
    Personally I'd rather see it invested in either best hand or worst bad beat of the night. With best hand you could have it for quads or beter, with bad beat it could be a house of Aces or better....

if nobody wins it you could carry it over to the next month and do the same again. That way you're guaranteed that one of us rather than the house gets it, and if somebody either gets the best hand and doesn't finish in the money, or goes out on the worst bad beat, then they get a break!!

Anybody got positive or negative feedback on this idea?

I fully endorse this idea! I think you'd have to raise the standards a little though.. Last night there was at least a straight flush and a poker of Jacks (that i'm aware of)... So a roll-over Jackpot with:

50% of the jackpot for a bad beat of at least quads
    50% of the jackpot for the best hand (higher than quads)..

Of course you'd see a lot more people drawing to straight flushes..
    A2 suited anyone?

Administration wouldn't be too great, other than holding on to the money.. If there's a couple of hundred quid involved, you can guarantee that players will be very (even more than usual!) vocal about their bad beats.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 elpaulo

i agree with Iago's plan for a progressive bad beat pool. Gives the other 4/5 a chance of winning something as well :cool:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bad beats are too difficult to quantify, we found that out the last time we ran with them.

I'm not suggesting we do this every time, it would be a once off thing for a bit of a giggle. (you know... fun!)

How did people feel the team event went last night too? Seemed a bit of a laugh alright.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

DeVore wrote:
    Bad beats are too difficult to quantify, we found that out the last time we ran with them.

DeV.

Just give the money to Davey and be done with it ;)

High hand jackpot would make sense, that straight flush dapper fell afoul of would have been the best hand last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It takes a straight flush to knock the dapper out.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

DeVore wrote:
    How did people feel the team event went last night too? Seemed a bit of a laugh alright.

Team event was a good laugh. I think you should stick with it. Adds a little extra to the tourney for those in the teams and doesn't take anything away from the others. Admittedly it's probably a waste of money for the other teams what with the dream team being unbeatable. Any count on the final team scores? Last I saw we were 7 places ahead or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Final Team Scores: You won, another team came second. All the others teams came third or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

DeVore wrote:

I'm not suggesting we do this every time, it would be a once off thing for a bit of a giggle. (you know... fun!)

DeV.

ok, so what about a "best hand to be beaten" then, easily quantifiable, who had the highest hand that didn't win a pot?

I just like the idea of best hand and best hand beaten..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I think we finished 8 places up on the next team. Might have been nine, I'm not sure if I outlasted the other team player at the final table (ah, I probably did).

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

1/2 hundred extra or less wont really add or take from the tourney as i play it

what you do is place the cash on green zero (or have a poll and pick the most popular number among the entrants, joint favourites usual rules apply pick the lowest munber horse (ball))

and then you have another 4/8ish grand to the pool depending on the stake if it wins

that'll be one better game imo (esp if 1st prize is alotted most of the winnings)

of course this could of course run for years and years and years before a winner comes in

mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement