Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Grand Prix *Spoilers*

Options
  • 04-10-2004 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd open a thread on this. Doherty bt Anthony Davies 5-1 and plays Wattana tomorrow. The big suprise was Michael Judge beating Mark Williams 5-2 this afternoon and has a decent draw up to the Quarter's. I should have put a few quid on Judge, had a feeling he'd do it.

Round 2.
    Judge -v- Q.Hann/M.Campbell

winner plays in Round 3:
    Marco Fu or Pinches/Hawkins

winner of that plays in the Q Finals:
    David Gray/Joe Perry or Neil Roberston

Doherty's end of the draw is a lot tougher.

Also, Swail beat Mike Dunne 5-3 and plays Ronnie tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Congratulations Mick Judge great performance, thought he was going to bottle it in the 7th frame but both of them missed easy balls and Judge got in leaving Williams needing snookers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Congrats to Michael, great start to the season for him, his clearance from 60+ down to go 3-2 ahead was superb. I was thinking of putting a couple of quid on him too. :D

Pity about Fergal getting knocked out yesterday though. :(

What does everyone think of the new format of 64 players in the TV stages instead of 32? It's already brought a couple of shocks with the top seeds having to play an extra match than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Judge beat Campbell 5-4 and plays Fu tomorrow.

I just looked at Aertel and to my suprise found another Irish rep, Leo Fernandez. He's been around a while but I've never noticed him, I suppose with that name I wouldn't. :D He beat Drew Henry 5-4 in the first round and plays Mark Selby this evening.

Yeah, I like the 64 players in the TV stage, the more the merrier TBH. :D It also means that if you're following a player you won't go more than 2 days without seeing him (unlike the WC when they can get a week break between rounds 1 and 2).

eirebhoy wrote:
    I just looked at Aertel and to my suprise found another Irish rep, Leo Fernandez. He's been around a while but I've never noticed him, I suppose with that name I wouldn't. :D He beat Drew Henry 5-4 in the first round and plays Mark Selby this evening.

Yea, Leo's been on the main tour a couple of years now i think, best of luck to him tonight.

Oh & well played to Michael :) , it should be a good match tomorrow, Marco Fu is in good form.

'Twas a shame to see Ken & Joe getting kocked out yesterday though. :(

celticfc wrote:
    Pity about Fergal getting knocked out yesterday though.
    celticfc wrote:
    'Twas a shame to see Ken & Joe getting kocked out yesterday though. :(
    It looks like my memory doesn't last for over 24 hours. ;)

Yeah its a shame, Doherty went out on a fluke which makes it worse. He never has good starts to seasons anyway.

I can't see anyone beating Ronnie for a while to come TBH.

• Advertisement

Leo has played well in recent seasons especially last year his brother Joe plays on the irish aateur circuit, both great players. Unfortunately Joe Swail picked up theworst draw ever against Ronnie, Ken is a plonker for losing that match, was talking to someone who was over there and they said he was acting like a tosser..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Leo Fernandez made the Crucible about 3 years ago when he was ranked 763rd (or thereabouts :D ). It was the first time he'd ever made the last 32 of a ranking event. Since then he's climbed the rankings slowly but steadily, but has rarely made any TV appearances (could well be only no.2, but I wouldnt swear to it). So it was good to see him get as far as he had - albeit disappointing to lose a winnable match v Selby.

I thought he was English who qualified for Ireland via the grandparent rule of something. But if his bro is playing on the Irish circuit then I could well be wrong.

Anyone hear Michael Judge talking about the unofficial All Ireland snooker championship that is organised every year somewhere in Dublin? The players put up the prizefund themselves and the winner takes all! Sounds like good fun. He said Joe Swail won it this year, which is about the 3rd time in a row he's done it - he didnt mention who the other finalist and semifinalists were, but he said all the Irish lads play in it.

Judge - Fu result:
    Judge 5-1 Fu. Absolutely fantastic result for Judge to add to his 5-2 win over Willams and 5-4 win over Campbell. He now plays Joe Perry in the quarter's at 1.00 tomorrow. Perry beat Robertson and Gray on his way to the quarter's. Judge has never gotten further than the Quarter's in a ranking tournament. He can't get an easier draw than this, if he beats Perry he plays McCulloch/Maguire in the semi's.

\o/ Well done Michael

Not a bad scalp in whipping Marco Fu :D

Joe perry will be a tough nut to crack though, he was brilliant against Neil Robertson today.
    Stephen hendry out too to a very good Ian McCulloch 5-3

Current scores:

R O'Sullivan Eng 0-1 G Dott Sco
    J Wattana Tha 0-1 S Lee Eng

Anyone hear Michael Judge talking about the unofficial All Ireland snooker championship that is organised every year somewhere in Dublin? The players put up the prizefund themselves and the winner takes all! Sounds like good fun. He said Joe Swail won it this year, which is about the 3rd time in a row he's done it - he didnt mention who the other finalist and semifinalists were, but he said all the Irish lads play in it.

Nah they started it last year in Spawell organised by Garry Hardiman, They had 6 of them throughout the season last year but have had 4 already this year, Its usually run on a tuesday and is obviously free to go and watch + you can have a pint as you watch, top level stuff and a great way to waste/pass an afternoon

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind popping down to see that, I've yet to even ever play in the Spawell. :)

From BBC just now

Live: Grand Prix

The Grand Prix, Preston

Quarter-finals scores:
    (Best of nine frames)

Latest:
    I McCullough Eng 4-1 S Maguire Sco
    M Judge Ire 4-1 J Perry Eng

Its looking good

Results:
    M Judge Ire 5-1 J Perry Eng
    I McCullough Eng 5-2 S Maguire Sco

Judges first semi final and he's got the luck of the draw again. He has avoided the side of the draw with Ronnie and Hunter. The final is definitely acheivable.

G'wan Michael, another great win. :D

I was watching most of the McCulloch v Maguire match & Ian played great. It should be a good match tomorrow. :)
    Latest:
    R O'Sullivan Eng 3-0 M Selby Eng (Including 2 135 breaks)
    P Hunter Eng 2-0 J Wattana Tha

Advertisement