Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulletin Board using JSP?

Options
  • 04-10-2004 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

I am doing a third year Java project in college on a bulletin board system.
    I want to use Java Server Pages to implement it but I don't know if this is what JSP is used for?
    I don't want any code examples or anything, just a simple "you don't know what you're talking about you idiot!" or "yeah,you can do that,no problem" will suffice.
    Sorry if I appear like a novice, it's because I am.
    Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

yeah,you can do that,no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Cool, I hope you are being serious, so that I can now go and find out all about this JSP stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

this is what you want
    http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/index.html

you'll need j2sdk1.4.2 or jdk1.5
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/index.jsp

also database to store posts mysql
    http://www.mysql.com/

Cheers biy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

((Never mind my mind isn't working well now...))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can use JSP for a bulletin board, but most seem to be written in PHP or Perl
    I'm not sure why :)

blacknight wrote:
    You can use JSP for a bulletin board, but most seem to be written in PHP or Perl
    I'm not sure why :)
    The reason why most are done in PHP/Perl is that most webspace supports these scripting languages as standard with JSP space been a bit more expensive and far less widely available. JSP/servlets are way more powerful than PHP or perl so you should have no hastle creating a BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I suggest using Eclipse and the Tomcat plugin for this as your IDE, it's quite handy having it all nicely integrated.

Yeah, I have eclipse thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

clearz wrote:
    The reason why most are done in PHP/Perl is that most webspace supports these scripting languages as standard with JSP space been a bit more expensive and far less widely available. JSP/servlets are way more powerful than PHP or perl so you should have no hastle creating a BB.
    JSP also still suffers from the same stigmatism that Java does. Many people still think it's a big slow memory hog. That used to be true, but with machine specs ever increasing, and Java itself becoming more refined, it's becoming a much more respected language for "proper" applications. The best Bittorrent client is written in Java, for example.

I wouldn't go so far as saying JSP is more powerful than PHP and Perl. Each language has its own merits. PHP is much easier to "pick up and code" and Perl is a very powerful text manipulator - the very thing the Internet consists of - which is why they have become so popular.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    The best Bittorrent client is written in Java, for example.
    I know Azureus its brilliant.
    seamus wrote:
    I wouldn't go so far as saying JSP is more powerful than PHP and Perl. Each language has its own merits. PHP is much easier to "pick up and code" and Perl is a very powerful text manipulator - the very thing the Internet consists of - which is why they have become so popular.
    Servlets give you straight access to the entire java API. You can open sockets use RMI ect. This is extreamly powerful stuff. Also it makes creating dynamic Images very easy.

Advertisement