Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JCert

Options
  • 04-10-2004 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of getting some of the certification that Java offers. I was looking at the Sun website and they offer courses and then exams. Is there anyway I could get information on what to learn/improve in order to pass the exam without having to pay for a course. I know I'll have to pay for the exam but am trying to get Certified on a budget!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PhilH

There is no requirement to do the course before the exams, so you should be able to get through it *much* cheaper than attending a course. I took (and passed) the Java Programmers Exam and the Java Developers Exam with the aid of a single book which is aimed at doing exactly that...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782128254/qid=1096910615/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/202-8198016-7493417

Look about. That's a link to the hardback version. Presumably the paper back is cheaper. Plenty of other books are targetting exactly what you want to do as well.

Also make sure that the copy you're getting is for the right cert - I'm sure you could pick up an old copy for Java 1.0 on eBay for next to nothing, but then it wouldn't be a lot of use to you, would it?

PHiL

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

You are sitting in front of the biggest library of information in the world. I have done java for four years at college and have learned more from the Internet than any lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://jchq.net

After that, get the whizlabs mock exams program. It is pretty close to the actual exams. My pass mark was 2% off of my average score in the mocks (higher).

Also if you fail they refund your money.

I should point out the exam (1.4 I took) requires studying even if you have been using java for a long time. They ask you questions which you would not normally ever have to answer.

Also the answers require that you read through and don't just accept the first answer you think is right, as the question may not be about what you think it is.

Eg.

int x = 081

What is the value of x?

a) 81
    b) 65
    c) NaN
    d) Code will not compile.
    This was in the middle of code when I got it and had x being added to other ints of different initalisations. The correct answer is D though.

The 0 at the start of the number means that number is an octal value, however there can never be an 8 in octal numbers. If you were to forget this, then you would pick b as the answer (8*8)+1.

The first thought is to take C as it is not a number, however the code will not compile (and ints can't have NaN afair). Nasty trick question, lots like this.

I also don't recommend PhilH's book as Sybex has numerous errors in it. The mock exams in it are crap too.

This one is much better (ignore the two negative feedback, the reviewers are talking out their backside) ...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072226846/ref=pd_sim_b_dp_3/026-0760270-7954032

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PhilH

Hobbes wrote:
    I also don't recommend PhilH's book

Well, in fairness its not my book. If I had written one, it would be great.

I thought it was okay, not fantastic. I haven't used others, so I'm no in a position to make comparisons. It just happens to be the one that I used. Like I said, look about.

PHiL

Advertisement