Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning a SIM card - what's the story?

Options
  • 04-10-2004 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all,

I've been referred to this site by someone at www.askaboutmoney.com

I recently bought a second-hand car with an onboard computer that features a mobile phone as part of the computer console. Basically, you "simply" pop your SIM card into the computer's console when you enter the car, and hey presto the car's computer is your mobile phone, with mic already set up and calls running through the speakers etc. Neat.

Except that it accepts only a SIM card in the credit-card sized holder. I've bodged a "temporary" holder, so that I can sellotape my SIM card into a holder and use it in the car, but that's an almighty pain to do every time you get into the car.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to get a duplicate functioning SIM card for permanent use in the car, while still keeping the existing SIM in the mobile handset.

It's been variously suggested to me that cloning SIMs is (a) not possible, (b) not legal or (c) risky - if you run two SIMs simultaneously, they will be blocked or something.

Anyone got the definitive answer, or suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

You can get a sim reader/writer here but read what it says about post 2002 sims. I also think if you use the sims at the same time the network provider will block them
    http://ucables.com/ref/SIM-MASTER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Dunno if it would work, but you could try phoning your service provider (ie: Vodafone) (obviously NOT from ur mobile lol ;) ) and tell them your sim got damaged and could they send you a replacment. Might work

B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

Falkorre wrote:
    Dunno if it would work, but you could try phoning your service provider (ie: Vodafone) (obviously NOT from ur mobile lol ;) ) and tell them your sim got damaged and could they send you a replacment. Might work

B

I dont know how vodafone/02 work but if with meteor, they have an order done to assign new sim card no and then when customer receives and rings to activate the old sim is deactivated and new sim then assigned to the number. so (with meteor this is) definitly not possible to have 2 sims assigned to the one number.

I would imagine that vodafone and 02 would operate same way but not definitly sure but if they tell you no then that would be the reason I'd expect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I would imagine that vodafone and 02 would operate same way but not definitly sure but if they tell you no then that would be the reason I'd expect

Vodafone certainly wont allow you 2 SIMs assigned to the same number. If you ask for a new one, the old one is deactivated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr-X

When you clone a sim you can only use one at a time, O2 and the old Meteor Sims can be cloned havent managed to clone a Vodafone sim so I guess they are all COMP V2 Sim Cards.
    Hope this Helps. You can get a 16 in 1 Sim Pack here http://www.nowgsm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Chord of Souls

Yikes - don't want to buy this cloning gear (thanks for the links everyone) only to discover that my SIM (Vodafone - would be, wouldn't it :( ) can't be cloned. Any way of checking this before buying?

Or even better, any of you people already have this cloning stuff and want to quote me a fee?

Have a look at your vodafone sim and see what the number is on the bottom Right hand corner Should be a number like G1R3 G1R2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Chord of Souls

There's some info, which I presume refers to capacity - 20 e-mails, 75 phone numbers, then there's FDN 10, 3V - 5V and REF: 1 OR.

There's also four sets of digits on the left hand side of the SIM but I'm guessing they're not relevant.

Hope this makes sense to you...

Sounds like you’ve got a very old Sim. There is a good chance it can be copied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement