Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Broadband USB problems

• 04-10-2004 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I've recently got DSL from Esat (after 2 month wait). They've supplied a Zyxel 623R - T1 dual link router, which has both an Ethernet and USB port allowing 2 PCs to connect. I'm finding the USB is unreliable and I have to power down the PC or the Router every so often to pick up a connection.

Has anyone else had this problem?

If there's any good router guys there --- Could I just put a hub on the Xyxel Ethernet output and connect my 2 PCS that way. I.E. would the DHCP allocate two separate addresses automatically to the PCS or do I need a second router?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

I have experienced this a few times, i just reset the modem, it really annoying would appreciate if anyone has any advice on this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Sounds like something I had with my old Zyxel modem, it turned out to be my PC putting the modem to sleep.

This MAY help:

First go into your Device Manager and open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers string. Right click on the USB Root Hub(s) you see and select Properties, the last tab you will see ‘should’ say ‘Power Management’. Now UN check the box that says ‘allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’ and repeat on all the root hubs you have on your system and restart your PC.

I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Cheers.. i'll give that a try now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Thanks GT I'd never have figured that one and indeed the PC on the USB port is configured to switch off USB ports to save power. I'll change it and see what happens!

I'd have thought though, that the PC would be able to bring the modem up again once you started using it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I did too but in my case it didn’t so that worked for me, don’t know if your(s) are the same probs as mine but it’s worth a shot eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Reyman wrote:
    If there's any good router guys there --- Could I just put a hub on the Xyxel Ethernet output and connect my 2 PCS that way. I.E. would the DHCP allocate two separate addresses automatically to the PCS or do I need a second router?
    Yes, that will work just fine.

Advertisement