Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a reasonably priced winter / hiking jacket.

• 04-10-2004 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've taken to hill walking in the last few months and I've done a couple of overnighters in Glendalough... I'm looking for a nice warm, but not overly warm 'cos I prefer to layer clothes rather than rely on one almighty jacket. I'm looking for a jacket that I can also wear into town on a saturday afternoon or whatever as well. I need a jacket with loads and loads of pockets and it has to have a hood (preferably detachable). I live in Dublin so I have access to any of the shops in town and that.

Now, the fun part, budget: I don't really want to spend more than €150 or so if I can at all avoid it but I do want a jacket I can get couple of years out of. Thanks a lot for any recommendations or futher tips on where to go, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Check out the patagonia store and pick up something from last years range or else a jacket that is seconds. They dont always have this stuff though. Ot you could try langdons factory sales which I thing are once a month at langdons in sandyford industrial estate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I will probably get in trouble for this (as commerical spam :) ), but just before I saw this post I got a mail saying there is a Langdons Sale this weekend:
    There will be a factory sale in Langdon's in Sandyford at the end of the week:
    Thursday 7th, Friday 8th and Saturday the 9th of October. 10.00 am to 5.00 pm and Sunday the 10th October: 12pm - 5pm

*New range of 'Salewa' down jackets and gilets*
    *New range of 'Wild Roses'womens wear*
    *New range of 'Sorry'wear
    *Sorry Ski wear*
    *Karrimor goretex walking boots*
    *Extensive range of Sprayway fleece and waterproofs*

There is a map on the UCDMC website:

http://www.ucd.ie/mountain/misc/sprayway.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

The only problem I would have with langdons is that the last few times I've been out there I've not been able to get what I wanted in my size, or else it is in my size but is a horrible colour. In January this year though I got a really good Ski jacket in Pagagonia for half the usual price. They had the trousers too and I'm kicking myself now that I didn't buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I have never been to Langdons myself but I know some people that swear by them. Though come to think of it most of them are students :)

Personally I have a nice 2 layer Patagonia goretex which cost me about EUR200. And it looks good enough that I can wear it out on a Saturday night in town as well (no primary colours, its a nice tan and pale green).

The only drawback is the internal map pocket is tiny.

Advertisement