Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stalkers and mobile phones

Options
  • 04-10-2004 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hey,
    my girlfriend is having a few issues with an unknown number (actually its 4 nos but the same person) txting her with obscene messages. It wasn't too bad, just annoying, up until before the weekend. Now the messages are getting very threatening (rape/i know where you live etc etc) and I'm gettin pretty p1ssed off. We reckon its someone she knows as they have used her full name once or twice.

We've already been in touch with the Gardai but they are moving so slow its getting annoying.

she doesn't want to change her number because 1) she's had it for ages and she's rather attached to it 2)We'd prefer to know whats been txting than not knowing (if that makes sense?!?)

Does anyone know how to find out who owns mobile numbers or any way to track them?

any other tips/tricks to find out who its is
    Just looking for advice from people who've been thru it so I can re-assure her.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Make a note of the exact time and minute of the next one, phone your service provider (Ie:Vodafone) and ask for their assistance in recieving abusive / threatening phone calls, they *can* trace the number if they have your number and the exact time of the call.

How do you know its 4 diff nos if they are witheld?
    If you do have the numbers then report them to your service provider and insist on immediate action.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Have you tried calling the num?! I was going to suggest ring the service provider eg 02 but maybe the cops would have to do that? The service provider would be able to get a lists of all the txts sent to and from your gfs num in a few mins and they would be able to get the persons name too. I can't see what the delay would be cos it takes like 5 mins to do sms/call traces - we do them where I work when people say they are getting multiple txts...or one time when a guy was getting sexy txts from a girl - lol it turned out to be a guy who was sending them!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Marko161

We have the Nos as they are sending txts, not calls (but he did leave a voicemail message once). We tried ringing the numbers back but he doesn't pick up and there is no voicemail set up.he also only turns the phones on at nite.

The Gardai, to be fair, have contacted O2 and have got some info - two of the Nos are registered to a fake name and address (123 fake street) and the third no was only bought during the week and isn't registered.

So i'm really looking for any other options

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Falkorre wrote:

How do you know its 4 diff nos if they are witheld?

B
    Numbers aren't witheld on txts!! Sorry Falkorre I couldn't resist!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Marko161 wrote:
    the third no was only bought during the week and isn't registered.

That sounds like a scary amount of premeditation - sounds like they could be a real sicko. Chances are its some she knows unfortunately.

Once suggestion give the number a ring from a private switchboard like a company landline - and see if you can trick their name or address out of them. You know the sort of thing...is Rob there....No...who's that then. Im sure if you put a bit of thought into it beforehand you could come up with something more plausible. Like this is O2 customer services - we're giving 100 extra texts to people who register thier mobiles. Will prolly only work once tho.
    Hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement

That sounds like a scary amount of premeditation - sounds like they could be a real sicko.

there is a chance that he's txting a number of girls. My GF received a threatening txt and then recieved the exact same msg 2 seconds later but with a different girls name in it.

It seems my hands are tied

I thought of that option, secret squirrel but the fone ain't on during the day. Don't think he'd fall for it at 2.30 in the morning!!

I may try something like that on the weekend as he may be a bit pissed and let something slip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

I don't know if this is the best thing to do, but its wat i would do if i was getting that much ****. Post the 4 numbers on as many sites as you can let them get a taste of their own medicine, i saw a post last week about a guy who followed a link on a AIB ATM turned out to be a dodgy prostitute advertisment site im sure if you left them in places like that they would get alot of calls.. knowing them sick basterds they proberly make more friends then enemies. Anyway just a suggestion, like i said probably not the best thing to.

*prepares for mass's of bad rep* ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

O2 should cancel the speak-easy numbers that are contacting you as it is against the T&C's

"6.1. The speak easy service which is made available to you on the basis that you and any other party using the speak easy service does so with your express or implied consent and on your behalf:
    1. will comply with all regulations and legislation relevant to the use of this network and service;
    2. will not use the services for any improper, immoral or unlawful purpose,
    nor cause any nuisance by your use of the service, or allow others to do so;"

Get in touch with O2 again and let them know that you know this ....See what they say

I'll suggest that to her sharkman. I'd be interested to see how many incidents it take before they cancel it.

I'd really like a name tho coz if it was someone she knows then theres nothing like the threat of getting the cold shoulder from everyone you know to stop that sort of behaviour.(i'd also like to see the f**ker face to face)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

tk123 wrote:
    Numbers aren't witheld on txts!! Sorry Falkorre I couldn't resist!! :D

:p lol gotme! ;)

Two things just occured to me,

1- O2 can block the phones. [edit] lol beat me to it sharky [/edit] :)

2- Post the numbers EVERYWHERE (as allready said) and the f€cker will get so many texts lined up when he *does* turn on his fone, he wont have time to be sending nothing ;) *evilgrin*

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭eoin_f

had that problem last year, got well pi**ed after the first few weeks so got good revenge, get an orienteering whistle and give a good blast when you get a response, make sure to call with id witheld. Is a drastic solution but worked like magic.

E.

Falkorre wrote:
    :p lol gotme! ;)

Two things just occured to me,

1- O2 can block the phones. [edit] lol beat me to it sharky [/edit] :)

2- Post the numbers EVERYWHERE (as allready said) and the f€cker will get so many texts lined up when he *does* turn on his fone, he wont have time to be sending nothing ;) *evilgrin*

B

I agree..

I'd like the the numbers Pm'd to me if ya don't to post them .. im sure i could get a name using a bit of social engineering.. plus if i rung them from work i think they would fall for it.

if you really want them and you think you could do something with them i'll post them up. Will have to get all 4 of them off her but I have one to start with if your interested.

what exactly is "social engineering"??

Social engineering as far as i know the term was first used by hackers and phone pheakers in the days when security wasn't that tight, for instanstace if had hacked into a big companys server but couldn't get past admin passwords or whatever they could just ring phreaking the line so it looked like the call was coming from inside the building say another department, tell the sweet young receptionist on the front desk that they were trying to fix the intranet and have lost the passwords and asked her if she could get them, which she would with out battering a eye lid cos she believed they were tech support and the number being displayed was from inside the building. Its basically jus blagging people, and theres hundreds of different examples form getting free pizza to getting people to give you there details over the phone.

I see.
    I'm slightly reluctant to post it just in case the nutter happens to be a member (i'm sure he's not but you never can be sure....) or if he googles it and this thread comes up.
    any suggestions on spreading it without these obvious pitfalls? (i'm a complete novice at this, as you can probably tell!!)

Marko161 wrote:
    I see.
    I'm slightly reluctant to post it just in case the nutter happens to be a member (i'm sure he's not but you never can be sure....) or if he googles it and this thread comes up.
    any suggestions on spreading it without these obvious pitfalls? (i'm a complete novice at this, as you can probably tell!!)

Like i said Pm it to a select few so hes not getting inundated with calls and figures whats going on.. i like to have and any info i find out about him i'll let you know asap via Pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭samo

being honest about it the gards wont do much for you at all, it takes an eternity as has to go from local garda station as a report to Garda communications dept in the Pheonix park who then go to security dept of network so all very time consuming. wont get any kind of quick resolution there, I would ask for supervisor from network that you know numbers are with and quote the abuse of contract clause.

but then again they can just get a new sim so as optikus says you need to find out who it is. Hope it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just change her number. If it is someone she knows, she will start recieving messages to that number too.. Just leave the other number off or discard it and he will eventually get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm going to PM you a good sollution for this. It may work. I don't wan't to post it public because it could influence more stalker carry on.

• Advertisement

Just change her number. If it is someone she knows, she will start recieving messages to that number too.. Just leave the other number off or discard it and he will eventually get bored.

Yeah, she will change it soon but there is still the element of not knowing who it was/is. She's already freaking out, checking out every person who is hanging around and all that. think she'd prefer a name and a face so she'd know as opposed to guessing.

I think shes more pissed about the time its taking up in her life - talking to the cops, thinking about it, telling her mates/family about it.

cheers cormie. i'll check it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

samo is right, the Gar*a wont do much I dont think, they did nothing for me anyway, had to pick up the sh*te myself and finish off the story, have to say i did enjoy the action tho, even if the gar*a do get him, whats the worst could happen to him really?? i left him a broken arm!

Good idea.. but what is the world coming to when YOU have to change your number, and all that comes with changing your number like telling friends family work and whatever, all because of some sick basterd. These people need to be stopped, the gards and the phone networks need to do a hell of alot more to combat this, you would think by now they would have something in place tbh it cant be that hard for them to trace a call, surely they are all logged even if they just gave the offender a polite call saying they know whats going on and if they dont stop then action will be taken.
    :(

besides that, if this guy knows her I'm sure he'll get her number again, track him down n take him down, teach him a lesson :mad:

its an issue i didn't think about till recently. you can just walk into a shop and get a phone without any ID or proof or residence. It should be an alteration in the process of purchasing a ready to go phone (i'm sure the drug dealers of ireland I'll hate me for saying this!!) but when we asked the Gar*ai whether there were any other complaints against the numbers they said the get 1000's of complaints a month and its diffy to keep track etc.
    since its such a large problem things need to change. the mobile fone operators should be on the side of their legitimate customers, not the perverts.

mobile fone company? tbh, what do they care once they are making money??

Marko161 wrote:
    its an issue i didn't think about till recently. you can just walk into a shop and get a phone without any ID or proof or residence. It should be an alteration in the process of purchasing a ready to go phone (i'm sure the drug dealers of ireland I'll hate me for saying this!!) but when we asked the Gar*ai whether there were any other complaints against the numbers they said the get 1000's of complaints a month and its diffy to keep track etc.
    since its such a large problem things need to change. the mobile fone operators should be on the side of their legitimate customers, not the perverts.

AGREED

StRiKeR wrote:
    mobile fone company? tbh, what do they care once they are making money??
    good point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The last thing I would do is disgard that sim. If this guy/girl knows your girlfriend, they will get their new number anyway, but it is best to get to the bottom of these things. If he/she is dangerous it is better to find out who they are and sort it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement