Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputation System Update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cloud wrote:
    LOL - so I should have made it a Subscriber feature! Doh...
    Leave it on for two weeks, then make it a subscriber feature. If that's not effective marketing I dunno what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

seamus wrote:
    Leave it on for two weeks, then make it a subscriber feature. If that's not effective marketing I dunno what is.
    You have the soul of a jackal.

I approve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

Praetorian wrote:
    Okay, so far I've given Karma based on what people have said in a thread. If I strongly disagree I give some bad karma, if I strongly agree or the person has made me laugh etc, I give some good Karma.

I can see myself only giving good Karma now with the new system...I'm not complaining just mentioning how the change will affect me!

Will this change affect how you give karma?

i think it will affect me. i hardly used to bother giving rep at all, never negative. i think i would have given negative points if i saw a really brutal post, i dunno, racism or something like that...never if i just "didn't like" a person...or wanted to bully a person.

now i think i may be inclined to use what points i have to give far more often, but always positive points, and only on posts that impress me...

g

(in case you are wondering about the lower case, there is a poor little soul reading this thread who is desperately irritated by capitals, yet was too shy to say so openly :o i cannot believe how much distress i may have caused this person and will not risk causing any more)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Morons reading this should note the [1] type notation beside certain paragraphs. Morons should then go to the bottom of the post to see what that paragraph means.
    mechanima wrote:
    Sorry...I thought it was rather that you had proved my point amp? THere seems to be a lot of that about.
    :)

My mistake, apologies, so, you are saying that you used your MIGHTY MODERATOR points to knock humble little me (who cannot hope to retalirate in kind) down, just to see if I would post it openly?

Would that be correct?

Yes. Also I have a camera in your bathroom and a fully featured counter-mechanima Headquarters with a very large monitors and graphs. Often people come up to me with PocketPc's and I sign them.[1]

Also, I am not only a Mighty Moderator but I also currently have the 4th best reputation on this entire site, so please, when you're setting me up to be the evil baddie please use more hype.[2]
    Incidentally, I don't actually agree with you that people who highlight the flaws in and abuses of the "reputation" system are "morons", I think they are just assertive. However, I think the people who use it as a tool to abuse others are, at best, "morons", but that's just my personal thinking...

G

Look how "excited" you are about "reputation". "Please" read the "above" if you "are" "in" any "doubt" about how "seriously" you're taking "this".[3]

HELLO MORONS AND WELCOME TO YOUR SECTION OF THIS POST:
    [1] I don't care about you.
    [2] I don't care about my reputation points.
    [3] You're taking this too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

mechanima wrote:
    (in case you are wondering about the lower case, there is a poor little soul reading this thread who is desperately irritated by capitals, yet was too shy to say so openly :o i cannot believe how much distress i may have caused this person and will not risk causing any more)

That was me everyone. Too shy my áss. I'm surprised you haven't received more by now... but thank you for not using caps. Now I'm not sure if the bold is more irritating. Thank you for your care and kindness. When I can give you rep again, I'll make it good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

And so anger, war and pestilence spreads ever further under the guise of reputation points...this system would be so cool on Fark or /.

Their mega-flame wars would be so more interesting and lengthy - 'you gave me a red, you republitard', 'well, u deserved it, ya red dumbocrat'

Ha. I'm laughing already...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

seamus wrote:
    If that's not effective marketing I dunno what is.

effective marketing is if it works, and people buy it.

sadly, i think it would not work here.

maybe in another weird and strange dimension where all girls have short curly hair, and liked to be called rita-sue. or binky.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

:rolleyes:

See that i don't get. How can you feel BULLIED by a "little red icon" in your USER CP. Why do people let it get to them so much?

Giving out only positive isn't good. There has to be a balance, that's why the pictures are of ying/yang and scales. This isn't magical hippie fairy land, people make stupid posts and they should get red points for it, just like they should get green points for good posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

mechanima wrote:
    i think it will affect me. i hardly used to bother giving rep at all, never negative. i think i would have given negative points if i saw a really brutal post, i dunno, racism or something like that...never if i just "didn't like" a person...or wanted to bully a person.

now i think i may be inclined to use what points i have to give far more often, but always positive points, and only on posts that impress me...

g

communist!

ionapaul wrote:
    And so anger, war and pestilence spreads ever further under the guise of reputation points...
    The end is nigh.

Already two of the four GRAMMATICAL ERRORS OF THE APOCALYPSE have reared their fiendish heads.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

/me attempts to pull pants back up.

Well, all I've to say so far is that I'm surprised at some of the people who gave me neg rep, and apparently I misbombed a couple of people who I thought had given me negative rep.

The annoying ones are from the people who didn't even post in the thread containing the comment I got the neg rep for :/ .

amp wrote:
    see above, there's a ton of it ;)

amp dear, i supect that you and i are just going to have to agree to disagree on this?

though i will always believe that you can never be too rich, too thin, or take bullying too seriously.

i suspect this may be the strongest argument i have ever seen for not taking the rep situation too seriously though:
    amp wrote:
    I also currently have the 4th best reputation on this entire site,

g

koneko wrote:
    Giving out only positive isn't good. There has to be a balance, that's why the pictures are of ying/yang and scales. This isn't magical hippie fairy land, people make stupid posts and they should get red points for it, just like they should get green points for good posts.

i get your point koneko, but that's not how i work.

with me, either i approve, i tolerate or you don't exist.

...incidentally, the bullying is not in the little red icon, it is in the intent, isn't it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Is there anyway I can view all my rep points insted of the last 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Lenny wrote:

looking for blood!!!? ;)

Lenny wrote:

i don't know, but i suspect offering to polish cloud's car might be a good beginning...

g

mechanima wrote:
    amp dear, i supect that you and i are just going to have to agree to disagree on this?

though i will always believe that you can never be too rich, too thin, or take bullying too seriously.

By saying "please stop posting" and giving you negative rep, I was bullying you? You know what I take seriously? People crying wolf. People like you who must whinge and moan and cry "Bully" and thus devaluing the problems real bullied people have.

You make me sick. Shut the **** up.

i suspect this may be the strongest argument i have ever seen for not taking the rep situation too seriously though:

Can't argue with ya there! The only thing I can think happened is that I might have accidently contributed some things that made people laugh and they accidentally hit the positive rep button. What a crazy world we live in :D

amp wrote:
    real
    It's spelt REAL.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yup, wana see my previous karma as when it was put in I was getting negative for posts in the forsale etc. when was buying things and other posts which were genuine and not talking about people and i see someone in the ones I can see seems to be giving me neg for nothing so wana something
    RuggieBear wrote:
    looking for blood!!!? ;)

amp wrote:
    By saying "please stop posting" and giving you negative rep, I was bullying you?

...i don't know, were you?

g

• Advertisement

Well I gave you negative rep. You seem to think that getting negative rep is the equivilant of bullying.

By using my brain I tied these two basic facts together to come to the conclusion that you were saying I had bullied you. I then used this conclusion and added it to the above redundant question which resulted in the following equation:

mechanima = moron

QED.

...incidentally, the bullying is not in the little red icon, it is in the intent, isn't it?

Actually, no. Personally I think it's in your head. Most people treat this like a game, or ignore it. You seem to think negative rep=bullying.

If it makes you feel better though you can keep playing the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Twould be interesting to have a karma page where you can see your Karma history. Say who you have given to and who gave it to you aswell.

I recieved my first slagging of the sig today aswell. 'Someone' called my karma sig "lame". First time ever in the month or so ive been doing it.

if i had some neagtive rep to give, i would give to him right now, because i dont like him and i want to show him that i dont like him and i think statements of dislike in that manner are good because then he understands that i dont like him and im not prepared to put up with this sort of nonsense from such a dislikable character.

unfortunately, i have spread around too much luuuurve today, coz im a huggy luvee kinda guy...

amp wrote:
    Well I gave you negative rep. You seem to think that getting negative rep is the equivilant of bullying.

By using my brain I tied these two basic facts together to come to the conclusion that you were saying I had bullied you. I then used this conclusion and added it to the above redundant question which resulted in the following equation:

mechanima = moron

QED.

if you insist amp dear, all right, have it your way.

according to you, you were bullying me, i remarked it and this means, in terms of your stated belief system, that i am a moron (though i would have thought not noticing would indicate more overall moronicity? in the long run and the big picture?).

of course, in terms of my belief system, that would mean something rather different, but i doubt if my belief system is really the topic of this thread...

g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

i could bully you if it makes you feel any better?

amp and i could take turns at not liking you, and calling you horrid names!

perhaps we could throw red apples at you occassionaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

mechanima wrote:
    according to you, you were bullying me, i remarked it and this means, in terms of your stated belief system, that i am a moron (though i would have thought not noticing would indicate more overall moronicity? in the long run and the big picture?).
    why do you care? its the internet.

why do you care? its the internet.

haha four eyes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

koneko wrote:
    haha four eyes!
    I'm gonna tell the mods and admins on j00....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement