Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputation System Update

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Dataisgod wrote:
    gmail is struggling with this thread alone

lol...i think my college account has been closed due to this thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

mechanima wrote:
    Amp,

Let's get this straight, are you bullying me?

G

Yes, in the same way people in a debate bully each other. In the same way a garda bullies someone by pulling them over for speeding.

I AM BULLYING YOU EXACTLY THE SAME WAY THAT RAIN BULLIES FARMERS BY RAINING TOO MUCH AND MAKING ALL THE WHEAT WET!

In your happy lalalala land were everybody is nice and nobody says bad things and the little bunnies hop along and the sun always shines of course I'm going to be the bully.

Because that's exactly what you seem so desperate to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

amp wrote:

P.s If you want never to be slagged, criticised or be the the recipient of negative energy in any shape or form I suggest you become a hermit. This way you can be almost guaranteed never to be bullied. Alternatively you could develop a sense of humour.

That should be posted on the front page or made a sticky at the top of each Forum at least.

Great move Cloud any chance of having a page where you can see all rep given it makes interesting reading . Why are some peeps so upset at being identified? It will not prevent me from giving neg rep but then I usually sign it when i do anyway,

BTW
    ---- sorry to hear I really ****in Bug You. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

amp wrote:
    In your happy lalalala land were everybody is nice and nobody says bad things and the little bunnies hop along and the sun always shines of course I'm going to be the bully.
    whoa.
    Neo.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

mechanima wrote:
    Something occurs to me, I am beginning to wonder if any of the "boards bullies" actually realise that their little schemes and strategies are not just an impersonal alternative to chess, but can cause other people sustained emotional trauma?

Sustained. Emotional. Trauma.

:eek:

From a little red dot awared to you by an anonymous peer group on the internet, who you most probably will never meet.

Jesus just how fragile is that pale little ego and sense of self worth?

I could go on, but this kind of post just makes me think "Shut your bloody whinging hole, before I give you a real reason to whinge, you whingy whinging muppet. "

Whinge. Y'know if you type it enough the word loses all meaning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

mechanima wrote:
    "boards bullies"
    It'd really help me if I had a definition of "boards bully" that I could work with.

amp wrote:
    In your happy lalalala land were everybody is nice and nobody says bad things and the little bunnies hop along and the sun always shines of course

Amp the doctor said only take three of the little blue pills a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

(amp, I'm going to ignore you for a while, it's not personal, I just think you need a little time to settle down and stop contradicting yourself here)
    sceptre wrote:
    It'd really help me if I had a definition of "boards bully" that I could work with.

Well here's mine.

By "boards bully" I mean people who use boards and it's various heirarchy's try and force people to give them an illusion of the respect and attention they are incapable of earning on merit by more usual means.

mycroft wrote:
    Amp the doctor said only take three of the little blue pills a day

Are you bullying me? You are, aren't you? You're making a parody of my parody and thus bullying me.

(No point mentioning these bats. I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.)

• Advertisement

mycroft wrote:
    Jesus just how fragile is that pale little ego and sense of self worth?

Mycroft, fragile self esteem is usually an injury that occurred outside the control or volition of the injured one. An injury that can go on causing great pain and distress for many years, leaving the injured exceptionally vulnerable.

Do you believe it is right, or healthy, to kick people when they are down just because they suffer from fragile self esteem?

Or are you rather afraid that if you show compassion you will be kicked too?

G

Mycroft, fragile self esteem is usually an injury that occurred outside the control or volition of the injured one. An injury that can go on causing great pain and distress for many years, leaving the injured exceptionally vulnerable.

Yes the post traumatic stress disorder of getting neg rep has meant I've been unable to break a red light for weeks now.

Look, I'm aware what fragile self esteem is, I'm just saying if your self esteem is so fragile that you refer to negative rep as "Sustained emotional trauma" then I have a suggestion for you.

Stick your fingers in your ears, shut your eyes and go LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL for the next sixty years, that'll keep you from hearing and seeing things that damage your self worth.
    (No point mentioning these bats. I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.)

I'd pos rep you you fat samoan ba*tard but the good people at sports illustrated have cancelled my line of credit here as the Dunes hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Y'know...

I'm reading all of this, and it suddenly occurred to me....

We've transitioned from a situation where we got positive and negative karma from people we didn't know.

Now, instead, we'll get positive and negative karma from people we don't know, but who's nicknames we're familiar with.

God...such a change. I can see why its worth getting in such a flap over.

And I couldn't help but smile at :
    By "boards bully" I mean people who use boards and it's various heirarchy's try and force people to give them an illusion of the respect and attention they are incapable of earning on merit by more usual means.

So what you're saying is that we should respect you for standing up to the big bullies and refusing to see the humour?

OK. I'm convinced.

jc

mycroft wrote:
    Look, I'm aware what fragile self esteem is, I'm just saying if your self esteem is so fragile that you refer to negative rep as "Sustained emotional trauma" then I have a suggestion for you.

Stick your fingers in your ears, shut your eyes and go LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL for the next sixty years, that'll keep you from hearing and seeing things that damage your self worth.

I'm sorry Mycroft, we seem to have a couple of misunderstandings in tandem there...

Firstly, I was not referring to my personal self esteem. I wasn't, I was referring to the potential for damage in some of the, remarkably complex, strategies of bullying and abuse I regularly see acted out on boards and the fact that you seemed to be defending that on the grounds that "it would only work if the victim had low self esteem".

Secondly, you seem to believe that I meant my self esteem was so low that you could cause me pain easily, and went on to (mistakenly) try and do so.

Misunderstanding all round I think?

g

mechanima wrote:

Do you believe it is right, or healthy, to kick people when they are down just because they suffer from fragile self esteem?

Or are you rather afraid that if you show compassion you will be kicked too?

Ok, I give up. The message, despite many people trying various different ways to say "Getting reputation is not equal to being bullied" is not getting through. Instead one of our many lovely threads about reputation is being hijacked and turned into a thread about bullying.

You're one messed up kid. I hope you get better.

bonkey wrote:
    So what you're saying is that we should respect you for standing up to the big bullies and refusing to see the humour?

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it's an idea! :D

Still wouldn't it be a lot safer and less ambiguous if I just called round yer 'ouse and bashed yer 'eads in till I got respect?

;)

Nah, seriously, I just get a bee in my bonnet sometimes when people just take it for granted that the whole world, including me, will just sit back and enable their nastiness du jour without a word...

G

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Would you ever stop whinging.

mechanima wrote:
    ah, seriously, I just get a bee in my bonnet sometimes when people just take it for granted that the whole world, including me, will just sit back and enable their nastiness du jour without a word...
    but the whole world also knows that

[1] this is just the internet.
    [2] most of the people 'bullying' you are doing it in jest, because you made a point of it.
    [3] you should stop your one man crusade and get the joke.
    [4] this is just the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If they realised the truth, would they try to behave better?

Waaaa? Boards Bullies? thats a new one.

1. If you have an issue with a person you can put them on ignore or report them to an Admin who even moderators answer to.

2. Community? I doubt it would devalue the community.. have you even seen the size of the community? There are people and boards who I never meet in posting to the board. Likewise with communities, there are communities that I never knew existed long after they were created (examples.. CTYI and Mustard board).

Except that most of the high reppers I know like myself are treating it like a game. The number of green/red dots, if you are a moderator or have high post count mean dick when it comes to posting, and if a person is so worked up on the score of the day then there is something seriously wrong.

I think it is inherent for most people to treat things as a scoreboard when others are taking it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nice one cloud.

/me awaits my red rep with baited typing fingers.

• Advertisement

ecksor wrote:
    Would you ever stop whinging.

I wish they would too ecksor, but what can I do *spreading hands*

It is beyond my control.

g

PS Hey, after all these months I finally overcame my disillusionment enough to take your advice and formally complain to the person you suggested I should, about the thing you suggested I should...thanks...I never forgot it was you who encouraged me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

[size=10]
    /--------------------\
    | IT'S THE BEGINNING |
    | OF THE END!!!!!!!!!|
    \---------||---------/
              ||            ___
              ||           /0 0\
              ||           | o |
             /--\          \   /
             \--------------/  \
               \-----
    [/size]

See all the in-fighting, will it stop or kill us all

REPENT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

sceptre wrote:

np sceptre its a girl or guy who walks around with a piece of wood dimensions of the order 1 foot X 3 and bounces it off someones head.

Giblet wrote:
    [size=10]
    /--------------------\
    | IT'S THE BEGINNING |
    | OF THE END!!!!!!!!!|
    \---------||---------/
              ||            ___
              ||           /0 0\
              ||           | o |
             /--\          \   /
             \--------------/  \
               \-----
    [/size]

See all the in-fighting, will it stop or kill us all

REPENT.

I LOVE THIS!!! (whoops, sorry Dr Loon I got carried away there, PLEASE don't hurt too much...)

Can I call round your 'ouse and bash yer 'ead in till you respect me and acknowledge me as the one true authority on all things, first?

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Damn, I'm good...

Dataisgod wrote:
    np sceptre its a girl or guy who walks around with a piece of wood dimensions of the order 1 foot X 3 and bounces it off someones head.

Funny thing, that definition works for me too...in fact, I have to say, it kinda sells me on the idea...

G

Hobbes wrote:
    Community? I doubt it would devalue the community.. have you even seen the size of the community?

Well it certainly has the effect of devaluing the entire community in my eyes anyway...and I can't be the only one...

I cannot muster respect for any community where bullying and cronyism is encouraged and respected...never could...

Maybe you are right, maybe it's just me...

G

but the whole world also knows that

[1] this is just the internet.
    [2] most of the people 'bullying' you are doing it in jest, because you made a point of it.
    [3] you should stop your one man crusade and get the joke.
    [4] this is just the internet.

Are you not a real person sweetie?

Because I am...maybe if you prayed to the blue fairy???? No???

And nobody has really DONE much bullying where I could see it since I "made a point of it"...I saw MUCH more of it before...

This may be "just the internet" the Luas is "just the Luas", the M50 is "just the M50", but we are still all real people...

...and we have the capacity to harm each other, and a choice about whether we do or not...

G

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

mechanima wrote:
    I LOVE THIS!!! (whoops, sorry Dr Loon I got carried away there, PLEASE don't hurt too much...)

Can I call round your 'ouse and bash yer 'ead in till you respect me and acknowledge me as the one true authority on all things, first?

G

Who? What?

• Advertisement

mechanima wrote:
    Are you not a real person sweetie?

Because I am...maybe if you prayed to the blue fairy???? No???

And nobody has really DONE much bullying where I could see it since I "made a point of it"...I saw MUCH more of it before...

This may be "just the internet" the Luas is "just the Luas", the M50 is "just the M50", but we are still all real people...

...and we have the capacity to harm each other, and a choice about whether we do or not...

G
    oh ffs! people you dont know on the net giving you a hard time? and your upset? christ, how do you survive in the real world?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement