Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputation System Update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Who is taking the piss out of whom exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah yes, non-anymous negative rep pertaining to thread, without dragging the thread off topic. Feels good...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i havent said anything in a few hours.
    thought i would just add my 2p.

2p.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

2p.

it's 2c now wwm
    2c! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Beruthiel wrote:
    it's 2c now wwm
    2c! :rolleyes:

Not if he's still living in Godless heathen England its not... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

merc wrote:
    God

Cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

Having a good long think about all this overnight and realising, once again, that however many genuine people there scattered around here (and there are), scratch the surface on "boards" and your are suddenly caught up in an online game of "Lord of the Flies".

Where most of the "powers that be" are little more than children high on having some power over someone else.

Where everything is upside down, and it is "good" to bait and bully others and "bad" or "weak" to show compassion.

Where it would be completely stupid to show any vulnerability at all, because so many are waiting ready to claw into it like vultures and see how much distress they can inflict, not least to try and insure against anyone noticing their own vulnerabilities and doing likewise.

A dread the thought that a whole generation may be this way, and hope to heaven that it is not.

Constantly re-writing it's cruelties as "fun"...kidding themselves that simple bullying is some kind of virtue.

Well it isn't fun for the victims, I know, not from personal experience, there has to be something you respect about someone before they can hurt you, but from the real victims, the little people who do not want to enable,, or often, even have anything to do with the online thugs who make up too much of the boards heirarchy.

It isn't considered "fun" to bully and hurt others in the real world, only in the virtual world of "boards", where this sick dynamic of a few people reinforcing each others cruelty goes on growing.

I have had to muster far more respect than I truly feel here just to believe something could be changed for the better for a few other people, let alone to try and change it.

But I give up...

...it's your virtual world, your game of lord of the flies, not mine...

It disgusts me and I want no part of it.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mechanima wrote:
    Having a good long think about all this overnight and realising ........................................................................................................I

But I give up...

G

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Bye Now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

mechanima wrote:
    Having a good long think about all this overnight and realising, once again, that however many genuine people there scattered around here (and there are), scratch the surface on "boards" and your are suddenly caught up in an online game of "Lord of the Flies".

Where most of the "powers that be" are little more than children high on having some power over someone else.

Where everything is upside down, and it is "good" to bait and bully others and "bad" or "weak" to show compassion.

Where it would be completely stupid to show any vulnerability at all, because so many are waiting ready to claw into it like vultures and see how much distress they can inflict, not least to try and insure against anyone noticing their own vulnerabilities and doing likewise.

A dread the thought that a whole generation may be this way, and hope to heaven that it is not.

Constantly re-writing it's cruelties as "fun"...kidding themselves that simple bullying is some kind of virtue.

Well it isn't fun for the victims, I know, not from personal experience, there has to be something you respect about someone before they can hurt you, but from the real victims, the little people who do not want to enable,, or often, even have anything to do with the online thugs who make up too much of the boards heirarchy.

It isn't considered "fun" to bully and hurt others in the real world, only in the virtual world of "boards", where this sick dynamic of a few people reinforcing each others cruelty goes on growing.

I have had to muster far more respect than I truly feel here just to believe something could be changed for the better for a few other people, let alone to try and change it.

But I give up...

G
    Bit of a generalisation tbh.
    Which section of boards are you talking about exactly? The admins? The mods? The high post counts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

mechanima wrote:
    Having a good long think ............................................................--->

G
    I perviously thought you were taking the yellow stuff. Now I see that I was mistaken. Holy f**King bannana's your serious are'nt you???? This is the weirdest situation since weirdy the weirdo got into a sticky situation with stickty the stick insect.

**boggle**

And once more:

****BOGGLE****

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

mechanima wrote:

G

This thread should be left as a sticky to show what innocent newbies are letting themselves in for. Its a good snapshot of characters (nice and not so nice) that they can well expect to interact with on a daily basis. Not that its a bad thing, but it would stop the old rose tinted newbie effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

delly wrote:
    This thread should be left as a sticky to show what innocent newbies are letting themselves in for. Its a good snapshot of characters (nice and not so nice) that they can well expect to interact with on a daily basis. Not that its a bad thing, but it would stop the old rose tinted newbie effect.

SHUT UP YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

delly wrote:

I'll second that my friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

mechanima wrote:

But I give up...

G
    i dont get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Dude, when they make a film of this, I hope Cuba Gooding Junior plays you, because his face can show how keenly he feels the injustice of the world.

Personally, I see a lot of sense in many of the points you make, but after your last post I am compelled to agree with the people who say you are taking it too seriously.

This may be 'just the internet' but it's like any arbitrarily formed group of social (or semi-social at least) organisms, hierarchys will form, alliances will be made and those alliances will bring their influences to bear in ways that benefit their members. You must be used to all this by now, as you are too articulate to be a 4 year old kid, leaving mammy's shelter for the first time. Sure, the rules are a little warped here, in that the pecking order can be almost the inverse of what it is when the electricity's out, and the individuals that occupy a higher position than that to which they are used to can throw their weight around with an exuberance which reflects this fact. However, it's very easy to adapt to these rules, especially when your only identifier is a string and an instantly changeable avatar. Do what you must to adapt, but don't presume that a strong sense of social justice undermines the whole thing, and then try to appeal to it, because you'll find that very many here have learned not to believe in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mechanima wrote:

But I give up...

G

Headache? Gone.

Impulse to scoop my eyes out of their sockets with a grapefruit spoon? Gone.

Missing you already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

very good thread and even more so - very good idea to remove anonymous rep'ing.

looks like my thoughts on reputation weighting has been proved correct - boards.ie member who is a mod with high positive reputation who gave me negative reputation made more of an impact than 2 normal users giving positive reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

impr0v wrote:
    Sure, the rules are a little warped here, in that the pecking order can be almost the inverse of what it is when the electricity's out
    LMFAO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

naitkris wrote:
    very good thread and even more so - very good idea to remove anonymous rep'ing.

looks like my thoughts on reputation weighting has been proved correct - boards.ie member who is a mod with high positive reputation who gave me negative reputation made more of an impact than 2 normal users giving positive reputation.

Yeah it's a strange one alright. Basically once you reach a certain threshold, you start getting grey points from poster with less karma than you. So basically you need posters with much higher karma to keep accumulating....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

delirium.jpg

tbh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

merc wrote:
    ItAnyways....make it your "lord of the flies" is what I am saying...though fuk knows what your whole lord of the flies anology is about!

well merc (if that is your real name :eek: )
    having read the book, I believe what he means is that half of us are trying to keep it together while the other half have just lost the plot....
    which is in fact why I love this place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

mechanima wrote:
    But I give up...

G
    No!

(Don La Fontaine voice)

In a sinister cyberunderworld ruled by fear, where corruption reigns and justice, truth and honour are as popular as a fart in a lift, where powerdrunk mod squads roam forums dragging simple innocent posters out of threads and assassinating their posts at will, only one man has the courage to stand up, sit down again, adjust his swivel chair height and type and fight for what's right.

His name...

(Some extremely loud bangs.)

...is Mechanima.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Beruthiel wrote:
    well merc (if that is your real name :eek: )
    having read the book, I believe what he means is that half of us are trying to keep it together while the other half have just lost the plot....
    which is in fact why I love this place!

Speak for yourself I'm just trying to find fatty's glasses to let me start a fire to cook the pig.*

*By pig I mean Amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

mycroft wrote:
    Speak for yourself I'm just trying to find fatty's glasses to let me start a fire to cook the pig.*

*By pig I mean Amp.

... and who's Fatty then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

mechanima wrote:

Yes so you have never given anyone negative rep as part of a bullying campaign? Perhaps to a certain mod you dislike? If so you're a hypocrite.
    mechanima wrote:
    Whiiiiiiinge
    Borrowed a cross from your friend there have you?
    mechanima wrote:
    But I give up...

G
    "If you won't play my game I'm going home"

This is the second time at least you have promised to stop using boards and I suspect that once again we'll be very disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

theres a plot?

if this is lord of the flies, who is piggy, and who is ralph?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement