Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mysql vs access

Options
  • 05-10-2004 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

currently learning asp using access, seems ok, however the hosting company i am using only uses mysql databases. i really like the company i use so i want to stay with them. could anybody tell me how difficult it is to get accustomed mysql and php. need to learn them fast as i want to get started on my project soon.

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You can access (pardon the pun) MySQL databases from ASP using ODBC if you wish. You'll find the official "Connector" here; I think there may be alternative unoffical drivers, but MySQL software is generally pretty solid because of dual licencing.

If not, MySQL and PHP are generally pretty simple to get the hang of. PHP is just a scripting language like VB, and MySQL is a relatively simple RDBMS. The only difference is that you don't get the GUI. (Although in MySQL's case phpMyAdmin ain't that far off at this stage.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Does the hosting company offer ASP?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Well access isnt really an option for web based apps. I sucks when you have anything more than two users on at once. Hence why hosts tend to provide support for mysql instead. If you really need to go the MS route then get a hosting account with SQL Server access although you will need a copy at home (costs quite a bit) or you'll need to Terminal Service into the hosting companys DB machine. I'd advise going the PHP/mySQL route to be honest, I've worked with all the major scripting languages and I find PHP handles all of my needs and has decent C style syntax. Interestingly, a mate of mine ported a JSP project he was building for his employers to PHP and has found a real benefit in speed and flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

thanks guys, yeah im going to go with php, are there any tools i need to start using php?

anthonymcg wrote:
    Hence why hosts tend to provide support for mysql instead.
    Not true. A lot of hosts don't offer Windows hosting, so they can't offer Access.
    anthonymcg wrote:
    you'll need to Terminal Service into the hosting companys DB machine.
    If a host is offering TS access to their MS SQL server then they obviously don't take security seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

need a web server too,will apache run on xp home edition?

need a web server too,will apache run on xp home edition?
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

currently learning asp using access, seems ok, however the hosting company i am using only uses mysql databases. i really like the company i use so i want to stay with them...

Usually people pick the most suitable language and database for their project first and then the hosting company second.

But for any web project Access is not suitable.

Advertisement