Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BitTorrent in College

Options
  • 05-10-2004 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I'm in college at the moment and I know that File sharing is against the rules but... If I decided to download a couple of episodes of Scrubs from the net over bittorrent, firstly, would it be considered against college policy and secondly how hard would it be for them to catch me doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

daveyjoe wrote:
    I'm in college at the moment and I know that File sharing is against the rules but... If I decided to download a couple of episodes of Scrubs from the net over bittorrent, firstly, would it be considered against college policy and secondly how hard would it be for them to catch me doing it.

Depends on the college and there IT services but usually wasting college resouces on non college stuff is frowned upon and against college policy. I was caught in an eng uni as i was using up 60% of their bandwidth at times using bearshare. I think if the IT admins are on the ball tis very easy.

Oh yeah and another thing....many colleges make sure that all the ports you might need for filesharing are closed.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

daveyjoe wrote:
    firstly, would it be considered against college policy and secondly how hard would it be for them to catch me doing it.

Firstly, yes. Even if you have a very easygoing sysadmin, you can be sure there's a "responsible computing" policy somewhere they can nail you with.

And secondly — not hard at all. In fact, a piece of piss. Every time you log on, someone, somewhere can see everything you're doing — if they choose to.

You can probably chance your arm until you get pulled up and get a verbal warning. But stay away from warez. After the first verbal warning, they usually have to give you a written warning, then they can f*ck you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Downloading illegal files on a college network and you're asking for trouble.

Not really worth the risk, unless you plug up your own laptop to their network... that way you have some way of concealing it.

Advertisement