Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Request] TV (non widescreen)

• 05-10-2004 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

My Dads TV is on the blink. He switches the power on but no picture and sound. The red power light lights up but thats it. Its a big square thing (28 inch Sanyo) he got about 6 years ago. He prefers big square screens instead of widescreen for some reason.

Anyway, where would we pick up something similar these days at a good price? We are willing to spend about 500 on one. Maybe 600 at a push. Recommendations please? Power City springs to mind. pity I live in the south east.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

I'd avoid power city, they (allegedly) sell refurbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

28" beko in Lidl/Aldi cant get much better than that for €150

Avoid power city refurbs. Currys is excellent for tvs great choice and decent prices.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

When is that TV available in Aldi/Lidl - theres a Lidl near me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sounds like a "5-per store riot starter" deal for that price. I have a 28" nicam beko from power city, it is now €239 I have it 2 years and it is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭samo

I didnt know that about power city but explains alot as the majority of things I've had have packed up in the warranty period. They were the cheapier of things I bought but how or never. Saw a good deal in Homebase for a bush TV that looked pretty good 28" and approx 299.99 but dont kn ow much about bush, also noticed recently that Currys were actually a little pricier than the ESB but this was for home cinema dvd systems. You can sometimes get managers specials in the esb shops like end of range stuff and save a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If I were you, I'd avoid Bush. They're usually pretty poor build. Not many major TV manufacturers make 28/29" 4:3 TV's anymore (eg Sony, JVC). Sanyo still make 28" 4:3 TV's though not all Sanyo dealers may stock them. The Lidl TV's are usually branded SEG, and the last ones I saw were rebadged Beko TV's which are not the worst. Though I don't see any TVs mentioned on the Lidl.ie website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

six years is not long for a tv to last

was your dad ruff with the on/off button and maybe
    thats the problem and the actual set is fine apart from
    the button.

I had an old mitsubishi for 11 years that had button problem,
    by pressing the button rapidly for ages I finally got it turned
    on, after that i just turned it on/off at the socket

go for the cheap 28 beko in power city (or lidl/aldi if available)

if they cost 239 in PC ask for it to be 230 cash if they say no
    its 239, pay by credit card as theyll loose 3-7% plus have to wait
    ages for their money and process the transaction with cc company
    tell them this and they might say 230 cash

No, the TV was never messed around. This is basically what happens:

Pushes the power button.
    Red power led comes on - this is where the TV should normaly boot up. Instead, it just sits there. Would it be worth getting a TV repairshop to look at it? Or would repairing it just cost too much.

If its worth repairing I would get it repaired and keep it for my XBox etc. We will buy a TV anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

We had a fancy phillips widescreen tv there a year back, had it for about 2-3years... just gave up working one day...

brought it to shop, tube dead, not worth replacing... warranty was only one year

moral: don't buy phillips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Well I think most places charge about 20/30 deposit for estimates which they'll take of the repair cost if you decide to go that route. Seen a Toshiba and Philips in Currys for around the 299 mark. Take a walk around a few different stores and see whats on offer. Check the papers for offers although its mostly widscreens they advertise these days.

Timeout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,566 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Might be a 'stupid' suggestion, but have you tried new batteries in the remote?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Very good Esel, go to the top of the class ! You were reply 13 but I rekon you have cracked It !Same thing happened to my ma,same model,same age too.Weird !

Em, batteries have been changed. It looks like tv is in standby, but even when I manually press the channel button on TV, nothing happens. And that was working before. That brought it out of standby but not anymore.

Now my Dad turns round to me and says that he wouldnt mind a widescreen so much, so long as the screen was pretty big. So I have been looking at a few 32 inch ones, all around the 900 yoyo mark. Our budget has gone up a bit also. I saw one at the weekend:

32" 100Hz Sony with stand - €949
    In two weeks the same TV comes with a Sony DVD and a Sony VCR at the same price. What do ye think of that? Can I get something similar elsewhere.

byte

Yeah, Sony is a great set, even better with DVD and VCR to match! :) I assume it is the 32CL70 (I think that's it anyway), and most Sony agents will run the same offer, as it's a Sony promotion, not exclusive to a particular chain, so shop around Sony retailers to see if ya can save an extra few bob! :)

If you want a small one, I notice somebody has started a thread stating that Lidl will be selling 21" TV for €149. (though I'd choose the Sony :))

Heres that Lidl link...only 21", Not bad for a second set, 149 euro
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20041018.p.TV

forgot to include this link too for weekly emails on Lidl specials,Just fill in your email here http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c.o.nl.sub.index

Thanks all for info. Im sorry I called this thread Non-Widescreen now. My Dad changed his mind and wouldnt mind a 32" widescreen tv :rolleyes:

A few things he would like would include a flatscreen and a stand. I see 100Hz is pretty standard on the widescreens I saw over the weekend. I presume this makes the picture a bit clearer?

ALso, he now wants a dvd recoreder! For feck sake, lol, all he wanted at the beginning was a standard tv. I see Extravision have a Philips one at €299 with €100 worth of vouchers. I was told that paricular recorder is very good.

byte

You could check a Sony retailer to see if there are any special deals on buying the 32" Sony and DVD Recorder together as a bundle.

Advertisement