Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bike broke :/ - need advise

Options
  • 05-10-2004 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

hi,
    i need help :/
    my bike wont start at all, does anyone know a cheap and quick that will collect my bike on the northside and fix it in one day?
    i dont think its anything too serious , just that im retarded at engines and such things. ;)
    i have to get it done tomorrow as my job have advised me to get it sorted or get a job that i can get to.

any advise will be appeciated
    chalky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Phone Leo O'Reillys in Drumcondra - they'll recommend someone to collect it and they'll fix it properly. But they will slag you if it wouldn't start for a silly reason!!!!

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

heheh, im sure its something very silly,
    do you have a number for them ?
    and by recommend do you mean theyll tell me a company to call or will they organise it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Sorry, me in Galway and no 01 phone book to hand - check Golden pages, I remember several bike recovery companies there. O'Reillys would give you the number of a recovery company and then fix your steed. Is there petrol in it?......

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

What are the symptoms? Have your tried push starting it to at least see if you can get it going? Stick it in second and get a push from someone, downhill preferably. Let out the clutch and it should turn over.

It is even trying to turn over when you try and start it? How long since your plugs were changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

i have to get it done tomorrow as my job have advised me to get it sorted or get a job that i can get to.

Nice employers you have there :rolleyes:

Do your lights come on? Is there any tick or sign of life from your starter when you try to start the bike.
    Could be a knackered battery, If thats all it is a bump start and a good drive should recharge it, but you might want to look at getting a new one if its losing charge by itself (unless you left your lights on, in which case you'll get laughed at. I know i did :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I got an awful shock last week when my bike wouldn't start. I was at my parents' house, 35 miles from home, it was 7pm and I had work the next day.

Turned out I'd left her in gear. That was a worried 25 seconds though. :)
    There's no feeling like the worry when you press the starter and nothing happens. No ticking over, nothing.

As echo says. Sit on the bike in first gear, clutch in. Get some mates to push you along (or run down a hill), get up a bit of speed, release the clutch slowly, while pressing the starter and (extremely gently) opening the throttle. You don't want it to start and take off on you. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

seamus wrote:
    As echo says. Sit on the bike in first gear, clutch in. Get some mates to push you along (or run down a hill), get up a bit of speed, release the clutch slowly, while pressing the starter and (extremely gently) opening the throttle. You don't want it to start and take off on you. :D

Ummm, do NOT press your starter in while doing this ;)

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

spockety wrote:
    Ummm, do NOT press your starter in while doing this ;)

J.
    Just open the throttle?

Worked for me before.. :) *shrug*

Advertisement