Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win2003 server, exchange 2003 veritas backupexec 9.1

Options
  • 05-10-2004 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,

something a bit weird has popped up recently (in the last week) on my server..

The nightly backup is failing with an error of "resource errors". the log file shows that 4 users emails (not all of them, only some) are reporting "access denied".

Now, no changes have been made to permissions or the accounts.
    No accounts have been added or removed.
    Groupshield has been installed (and is causing no end of grief.. it has since been removed)
    Exchange uses the admin account to access files for backup.
    Exchange Agent is installed and working fine.
    The permissions on the affected accounts are identical to those on the unaffected accounts.
    Not all emails in the affected accounts are reporting an error.
    The exchange server is sitting on the win2003 server.
    Backupexec is sitting on a win2000 server
    Remote agent is installed and working fine.
    Nothing else on the network is scheduled to run at the same time as the backup (OnDemand backup, Exchange maintenance etc).

anyone come across anything similar? I found a site in russian with the issue but cannot find an equivalent english site. (online translators didnt help much).

any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Right, I've pinpointed the cause of the problem and know what to do, just not entirely sure how to go about doing it.

Only the spamkiller package of groupshield was uninstalled. Not the whole thing...

Groupshield is scanning the emails and getting stuck on large attachments. This is leaving the emails open and not allowing backupexec to verify.

So, I need to run a pre/post job command to stop and start the services for groupshield. Fair enough , net stop "McAfee Groupshield" would be lovely however... the backup is being run off one server and the mail is stored on another (Mail1).

Anyone know the command line to stop the service on Mail1 from the backup server? Both use the same Admin account for access. The backup server (win2k server) doesnt have the resource kit installed so SC.exe wont do it.

I'm off to google it but someone here might already have a way worked out.

thanks.

Advertisement