Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student friendly recipes??

• 05-10-2004 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

just wondering if any of you know any good student friendly recipes?
    by student friendly i mean any of the following: cheap, quick, easy, suitable when cooking for one person, not requiring things like fancy herbs or blenders etc....

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Cheap.......
    1) Spag Bol:
    Mince. Tinned tomatos (or Ragu/Dolmeia sauce). Peppers/Mushrooms/onions. Pasta.

Cook the mince. Dice/chop up veg. When mince is brown, add veg. Cook for 5/10/15mins (depending on how you like your veg [crunchy/soft/softer]) Pour in the tomatoes. Cook the pasta. Mix together. Done.

2) Savoury Mince:
    Mince. Oxtail/Beef soup (powder packet). Peppers/Mushrooms/onions. Potatoes.

Mix up the soup powder with cold water. Cook the mince.When mince is brown, add veg. Cook for 5/10/15mins. Pour the soup into the mince and return to boil. Simmer for 10 mins. Cook the potatoes. Done.

3) Chilli
    Mince. Peppers/Mushrooms/onions. Chilli sauce. Rice/Potatoes.

See Spag Bol.

....these will keep you alive, and keep money in your pocket for more important studient adventures, as in drinking. (If you have a better budget, get back to me and I'll give you more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

cheers zulu, if you do have more i'd appreciate them. quite fond of the ol' cookin' me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Fajitas.

Ingredients: cooked chicken (leftovers are good), sliced pepper, sliced red onion, salsa, sour cream, fajitas/wraps.

Fry the peppers and onions together, then add the chicken to the pan to warm it through. Put the whole lot on the fajita, spoon some sour cream and salsa over it, and fold the fajita over. Easy peasy. Obviously you can add more ingredients if you want, like chilis, or make them beef fajitas or whatever.

Omelettes are great and so easy. 2/3 eggs beaten lightly with a bit of milk, pour in to pan, swill around, add ingredients (cheese, ham, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms.. list is endless really).

Pasta. This is a no brainer. cook pasta, heat tomato sauce, add together. To make it more interesting you could throw some cooked chicken into the pan with the sauce and heat it through. Add mushrooms, ham, bacon bits, peppers etc etc. OR leave out the tomato sauce and stir in a spoonful of pesto sauce when the pasta is cooked and drained, and sprinkle with white cheddar.

Beans on toast, Garlic mushrooms on toast, Eggs on toast are all cheap and easy, not to mention delicious, and provided you don't fry them in loads of oil and butter, they're nutritious too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'm really bad at remebering recipes - if it's not in front of my eyes written down, i can't cook so I'm afraid I have no recipes for you.

I'd recommend that you get a student cookbook - there should be some available in any good bookstore. I got one today for 10 euro, can't remember the title but most are pretty similar. The writers understand that you won't be spending lots of money on food and that you might not be able to get fancy ingredients but it's amazing how many cool recipes they come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Just thought of a few more:

Baked potatoes. Stick a fork in your potato a couple of times, cover said potato in tin foil, stick it in a preheated oven (220 degrees) for around an hour/hour and a half, maybe more. Top with whatever you fancy, beans, cheese, ham&cheese.. you get the idea.

French bread pizza : preheat oven to about 180, slice a half-baguette lengthways. cover generously with dolmio/tomato puree, cheese, ham etc etc. Put in oven for 10-15 mins, or however long it needs.

Steak sandwich : ok, not a cheap option per se, but a great meal.
    Prepare your ingredients, butter your bread (hopefully something posh, like ciabatta, or a pitta or something), get your lettuce washed, onions fried, any veg you're gonna put in prepared/sliced/fried. Then do your steak, fry for 4 mins either side if you want a well done steak (or a dried up piece of old boot). Fry for 2 mins either side if you want it rarer and more bloody (and more delicious). slice it up whatever old way you want, chuck all your ingredients onto the bread, spread some sauce of choice (brown sauce? mayo? horseradish? mustard? all of the?), and you're done.

You could obviously substitute chicken for the beef, but the its just a chicken sambo, and just isn't as special, lol.

I'm hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Beans on toast with melted cheese and a bit of chef brown sauce hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Bangers and mash. Add beans and/or cheese.

Lasagne, easy enuff you can buy kits to make it. Just need cheese and Mince.

Pasta with mince or chicken. Add sauce, tomato based is best. Add chillis, garlic, mushrooms and/or other Veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

http://books.reviewindex.co.uk/reviews_uk/1899791833.html

Take a look at this link, I saw the author on UK food yesterday and the book looks like it has lots of easy recipes.

Hope this helps

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Ok here are some quick and easy ones with pasta.

Garlic, olive oil and parmesan on Pasta.
    Ok this can be done pretty much roughly and is not set in stone.
    You need:
    Pasta, linguine is traditional with this although any will do really.
    Some good fresh bread.
    Olive oil, about half a cup
    As much garlic as you want.
    As much fresh parmesan as you can afford, the powdered stuff will not be that good for this, you can use other cheese but parmesan should be used.
    For the variant a few red chilis depending on hotness required.

Put your chopped garlic in the pan, add in the oil and fry for a bit until the garlic is soft, tip the boiled and drained pasta into this then fry it for about 30 seconds in this mix.
    Put it on the plate and cover it in Parmesan, eaten with bread to mop up the olive oil.
    You can do a variant on this with chili added when the garlic is added, it is simple and delicious.

Advertisement