Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[ENN] BT cracks down on auto-dialler blight

Options
  • 05-10-2004 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭

ENN reports how BT are cracking down .. the difference in the approach seems to be somewhat different to eircom.
    • Firstly, they don't appear to have created an extra (more expensive) band.
    • They have blocked access to numbers, without regulator intervention.
    • They use black lists, not our white list.
    • They are donating some of their revenue on these calls (I know, that's not saintly, but its a damn sight better than eircom)
    • They intend to email customers again, to reiterate the consequences.

Wasn't sure of its relevance to IoffL, but it is relevant, isn't it? If not, sorry!

.cg

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

That seems like eircons ad in Wednesdays (6 oct) apper in which they state they will alert you if it looks like you're victimised by the scam numbers that they have finally blocked and also that they will refund you even thought they are not liable...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Yesterday I caught a repeat of Saturday's "On Your Behalf" an Ulster Radio programme which had a lengthy feature on autodiallers problem in the North but claiming that the South has taken 'more decisive action', including an interview with Tom Butler from ComReg.

The programme is available until tomorrow at http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/realmedia/oyb.ram, don't worry about the gardening stuff at the start, OYB starts about one minute in and autodiallers is the first feature, Comreg interview about 7 mins in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

BT are cracking down more on UK Premium Number Related scams than on International Country type scams. This started a few months back in June/July IIRC .

Its actually quite a different form of crackdown but the broad intent is the same as the Comreg crackdown ...namely to deny the fraudsters who create the diallers their revenue streams and to deny the telcos their ill gotten consequential gains and thereby to protect the consumer from both .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

DonegalMan wrote:
    Yesterday I caught a repeat of Saturday's "On Your Behalf" an Ulster Radio programme which had a lengthy feature on autodiallers problem in the North but claiming that the South has taken 'more decisive action', including an interview with Tom Butler from ComReg.
    I was flicking through the stations last night, and I came across "Nolan Live" on BBC Northern Ireland. H had a piece on auto-dialler scams at the end of the program, with a spokesperson from the Consumer Association and from BT. Unfortunately, it was at the end of the program, and they didn't really have time to delve into it before the program finished.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the BBC Website about it (Nolan has a radio program as well, apparently, and the website seems to refer only to the radio program).

Advertisement