Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSID Problem

• 05-10-2004 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

I bought a D-Link DSL-604+ wireless adsl router lately, and I can't seem to change the SSID from 'default'. When I go to the configuration menu, it won't let me type into the SSID field. I've been logging into the box via one of the ethernet connections, but I can't seem to change the wireless settings. The manual doesn't seem to say much, just wondering if anyone had any experience (or whether it's possible to disable the wireless connection so it can be changed).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I've a Belkin but I asume its pretty much the same. I asume you are connecting to the router from a web interface ie: http:\\192.168.0.1:80 or something simular? If so there should be some user authentication so you can edit your router config. I can view some of my config but need to logon to view firewall settings and change ssid etc. If you can logon it could be something to do with your internet browser settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I can log in fine and make other changes - the only problematic one is the SSID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Perhaps you have transmit SSID turned off?

Try turning it on, changing the SSID and turning it off again.

Pure guesswork, as I'm not familiar with that router at all at all.

I guess something like that would work - but as I said at the start, the manual doesn't really go into that kind of detail. I'll play around a bit more this evening and see if I can make any headway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I've the DSL-G604T and that let's me change the SSID quite easily - just have to remember to "Save All" and "Restart AP" in the Tools -> System Commands menu.

Maybe you need to enable the Wireless AP first?

RikD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Restarting the AP is the most important, the netopia ones need to restarted if you change any major setting , SSID is one of them.

Thanks for all the help guys - I've figured out the problem. It's a browser issue. I've been using Firefox, which was fine for the drop down configuration and setting up the broadband dial-up settings. The SSID couldn't be set with Firefox, but works fine with IE. So there you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Should have thought of that - I had the same problems when it came to setting up WPA and setting a new admin username and password. But for some reason I could set the SSID with Firefox 1.0PR

I'm using 1.0PR too, but I've the 'b' not the 'g' router so maybe there's also a difference in the firmware.

Advertisement