Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney nominated for World Player of the Year

• 05-10-2004 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Seems that he is being put up with the best for Fifa Player of the Year

In fairness, how many games international or domestic has he played this year?

20?

A bit kind in my opinion ... but I'm sure others will have theirs ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"Don't believe the hype," as Public Enemy once said. Sure, he's an outstanding prospect, but was he one of the best 35 players in the world this year? No chance. It would be interesting to see if he would have been nominated if he still played for Everton.

Anyway, Henry should walk it, he's been far and away the most consistently brilliant player in the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anyway, Henry should walk it, he's been far and away the most consistently brilliant player in the last year.

Agreed. But does the award take into consideration International matches? Because Terry hasn't been the best when he's played for his country.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

ya mean Henry's country hasn't been the best when he played, if a striker does not get the ball he can't show his magic.

As an arsenal fan, my vote would be for Henry, but Ronaldinho must be a contender.
    As for Rooney, 3 goals in 19 games for Everton is not what i'd call prolific :rolleyes: C Ronaldo is a much more worthy of the nomination, he performed excellently for club and country, but he's far from the finished article.
    As for Giggs's nomination that must be a joke! The guy just doesn't cut any more and only a lack of competition and the occasion flashes of brilliance keep him where he is.

</2cents>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Henrys done very little in Europe either , He would deserve it ahead of Rooney but I can't see either of them win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Shevchenko should get it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think it's WAY to early to be even considering Shrek amongst the worlds best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Also: Didier Drogba? What the hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Just like Ronaldo getting it for 6 goals in the WC last time. Its world player of the year, not world player in the spotlight. Great to perform when the pressure is on, but for FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Owens in there aswell, hes had ne of his worst years. Gerrard has to be up there after great performances, dont remember a bad one this year (not saying he hasnt, i just dont remember it). Rooneys there on hype. Beckham has been widely criticised as being part of real's downturn, and by his own admission had a dreadfull European championships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Real Madrid are the club with the most players nominated with Beckham, Owen, Luis Figo, Raul, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo and current holder Zinedine Zidane their contingent.
    If they were that good surely they'd have done better than 4th in the Spanish league. :eek: :confused:

I suppose, I'd have to think of players more deserving to be on that list and ATM I can't. Maybe a few more Porto players. Rothen too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ronaldinho did it for Barca week in week out and in freindlies for brazil.
    For what i seen of him with Barca without a doubt best player in the world atm.

Bet fergie rather pissed over not getting him.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The Muppet wrote:
    Henrys done very little in Europe either

Yes, because being the 5th Highest goal-scorer in Champions League history, with 31 goals is really doing very little :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

eirebhoy wrote:
    If they were that good surely they'd have done better than 4th in the Spanish league. :eek: :confused:

I suppose, I'd have to think of players more deserving to be on that list and ATM I can't. Maybe a few more Porto players. Rothen too.

It's a complete and utter joke. One Porto player (being Deco, who was crap in the Euro's and CL) with the rest consigned to the bin.

Something tells me this is more of a celebrity award then a competition rewarding actual talent and skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

syke wrote:
    Yes, because being the 5th Highest goal-scorer in Champions League history, with 31 goals is really doing very little :rolleyes:

Is that supposed to impress me and did he get a medal for it ? :rolleyes:

It's this years award we are talking about and both Rooney and Ruud have scored more than him in this years competition to date, Ruud is second in the all time list so maybe he should get it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Ronaldinho deserves it imo.
    No Real Madrid player should get it. Roberto Carlos is a shocking defender, I dunno how he got on this list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ronaldinho to win it. C. Ronaldo should be on that list. That is actually sick he is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

He is on it.
    Adriano (Brazil)
    Roberto Ayala (Argentina)
    Michael Ballack (Germany)
    Milan Baros (Czech Rep)
    David Beckham (England)
    Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
    Cafu (Brazil)
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
    Deco (Portugal)
    Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think Makaay or Shevshenko deserves to win .

Pires ?
    Beckham ?
    Owen ?
    Baros?(He played extrememly well in the Euros , but club wise..............)
    Rooney?
    Drogba ?
    Carlos ? , theres loads more and to be honest I would say only 10 or so from that list should make the top 35 .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Oh only five A.C. Milan players? Thought there's be a few more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rooney has done nothing to warrent it yet, I'd put Smith and Ronaldo ahead of him tbh.

I hope Ronaldo gets young player of the year award, I think hes been fantastic and has shown great great commitment.

I don't think Ruud should get it this year because he hasn't been at his best.
    Giggs I love, but world top 35? Not last year

---

Keeping that in mind, Ruud has always had incredible respect from coaches and players, much more so than fans.

I think Ronaldinho should walk away with it though, hes just magic, consistantly, and always, at whatever level.

Zidane should also get it cause hes just great :)

Schevkcheno should I think get it, I think he doesn't get enough praise cause he doesn't get to go to national events, but hes just an absolute god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Smith

?

?
    C'mon, Smith deserves it. He scored a whopping 9 goals for his club and was just behind Defoe as backup for the England squad for Euro 2004. He had a super season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rooney has done nothing to warrent it yet, I'd put Smith and Ronaldo ahead of him tbh.

Read the post please, many thanks

PHB wrote:

Read the post please, many thanks

Ok while Im not suggesting Rooney should get it. He scored more goals last year, in a team that also didnt exactly perform too well. And was one of the stars of the Euros where as Eirebhoy said, Smith was behind Defoe and possibly James Beattie in the pecking order.

Now could please explain to me how Smith would deserve it over him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

syke wrote:
    It's an anual award, you can't just bunch up the entire history of th CL and say he's deserving - perhaps a lifetime achievment award...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

I think this has turned into a celebrity fair, otherwise beckham, carlos, figo and giggs (to name but four) should be no where near it. I deffinitely think stevie gerrard has a real chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'd be great to see Gerrard get some recognition for his fantastic form for Liverpool and above average for England - don't see it happening though unfortunately.

I agree with Midget Lord in that there does seem to be a lot of players listed who are from the more glamorous clubs like Real and ManU. They have to fill the list somehow though, personally I think it should be a shorter list...

p.pete wrote:
    It's an anual award, you can't just bunch up the entire history of th CL and say he's deserving

But surely he is in with a chance based on his performances over the last year alone? The reference to him being 5th top goalscorer in CL history was just a rebuttal of the idea that he has "done little in Europe".

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

The Muppet wrote:
    Is that supposed to impress me and did he get a medal for it ? :rolleyes:

It's this years award we are talking about and both Rooney and Ruud have scored more than him in this years competition to date, Ruud is second in the all time list so maybe he should get it. ;)
    As it happens it's player of the year. Not player of the season. So Rooney and Ruud do have more goals than Thierry - even still. He has 2 this year, Roon and Ruud have 3 each. But Thierry has more assists. Other than that both Roon and Ruud were far better than Thierry for their countries during the summer, and are generally better with their countries than he is for France. But, and even as a manc there is no comparison. You can perhaps make a case for Ruud, but imho Thierry deserves it. He's been outstanding. Breathtaking. Rooney being on the list is a joke. There are many jokes in there - Owen, Beckham, Rooney, Giggs etc. And why are there no players outside Europe on the list??

• Advertisement

I think this has turned into a celebrity fair, otherwise beckham, carlos, figo and giggs (to name but four) should be no where near it. I deffinitely think stevie gerrard has a real chance.
    Gerrard hasn't a hope. Ronaldinho and Henry are the front runners. Gerrard has shown time and again he can't boss a big game. He's great against poor teams, where he gets time on the ball, but put him against top quality and where does he go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

uberwolf wrote:
    Just like Ronaldo getting it for 6 goals in the WC last time. Its world player of the year, not world player in the spotlight. Great to perform when the pressure is on, but for FFS.

Ronaldo got 8 goals in the world cup ,my vote this year would be ronaldhino he's reviorgated(sp?) Barcelona.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Henry, for consistently excellent club performances
    Shevchenko for the same
    Ronaldinho ditto
    Zagorakis for being the captain of the most overachieving team of the year
    Drogba for his goalscoring in Ligue 1 and the UEFA cup
    Kaká for the difference he's made to Milan

I haven't seen Ronaldinho play much for Brazil, likewise Kaká but they've both got to be in with a good chance.

Carvalho and Maniche should be definite candidates, they've been great for club and country.

However, my vote would go to Adriano or Tevez (who I don't think made the list - wtf??) for their excellent and consistent performances at club and international level.

As for who'll actually win it - who knows or cares.

Does anyone know what make the World player of the year different to the European player of the year? Is there anyone on that list thats not based in Europe?

eirebhoy wrote:
    Does anyone know what make the World player of the year different to the European player of the year? Is there anyone on that list thats not based in Europe?
    Well it basically ends up pretty similar. The shortlist is picked by Fifa's Football Committee and the Technical and Development Committee. The second stage however is then voted for by national teams managers and captains. Basically it's poxy fifa making a balls of it. In answer to your question there isn't one non european based player on it. what a joke.

I think Ronaldinho is a clear winner. Rooney being on that list makes me sick, and I am a Utd fan. C.Ronaldo should win young player of the year alright. He definitely deserves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

these things are a joke, sure a few years back Michael Owen won the European Player of the year award from some magazine or some such and since then the media and sections of his supporters have hyped it as the actual Uefa award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Draupnir wrote:
    these things are a joke, sure a few years back Michael Owen won the European Player of the year award from some magazine or some such and since then the media and sections of his supporters have hyped it as the actual Uefa award.

That was an UEFA award and he deserved it that year,he had a great year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Sposs wrote:
    Ronaldo got 8 goals in the world cup
    TBH I don't think that changes the point. He played well for a fortnight or a little over and gets a reward based on his year long performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think this has turned into a celebrity fair, otherwise beckham, carlos, figo and giggs

In fairness Figo has been one of Madrids shining lights during this troubled time .
    I think its a bit harsh to name him with those other 3 as ones who don't deserve to make the list .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

actually sposs, its an award given by France Football Magazine

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/European%20Footballer%20of%20the%20Year

check that out, while its a prestigious award in itself, I dont consider the FIFA awards to be much more than a marketing ploy so one given by a load of journalists is worse again.

• Advertisement

Well Auld José reckons Shevchenko should win it.

Media quote here.

"LONDON - Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho spoke in 'Gazzetta dello Sport' about the Golden Ball. He said: 'Henry did very well in England, Lampard in the Premiership and at EURO 2004. But Shevchenko did something more. He was fantastic in the most difficult league in the world for a striker. To score so many goals in Italy is an extraordinary achievement that must be rewarded, in my opinion."

Says a lot, and I agree 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

How does Giggs get in? Jesus wept :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

IMO, I think it's between Ronaldhino or Henry & C.Ronaldo will get the young player with Rooney coming in 2nd.

10er bets he will be at Stamford Bridge next season...

Seaneh wrote:
    Well Auld José reckons Shevchenko should win it.

Media quote here.

"LONDON - Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho spoke in 'Gazzetta dello Sport' about the Golden Ball. He said: 'Henry did very well in England, Lampard in the Premiership and at EURO 2004. But Shevchenko did something more. He was fantastic in the most difficult league in the world for a striker. To score so many goals in Italy is an extraordinary achievement that must be rewarded, in my opinion."

Says a lot, and I agree 100%.

cheesedude wrote:
    10er bets he will be at Stamford Bridge next season...

I'll see your tenner and raise you 50 that Sheva will never leave Milan as long as Silvio is president of the club.
    They have dinner together 3-4 times a week, they play golf together, spend holidays together, share a birthday, it's just about the closest player - owner relationship on the planet.

Advertisement