Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rap/hip hop/rnb albums everyone should have

• 05-10-2004 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭

tryin to expand my collection some suggestions would be great, really like kanyes album, love most things with nate dogg, like chingy aswell

50 is alright,

Just like good tunes, nothing too deep down and dirty tho!

what albums should i get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

If you like Chingy I suggest suicide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

*lol*

Grandmaster Flash - The Message.
    Start from there, work your way up and you might learn some **** on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

*lol*

Yes that tune is the lick!! Have a look at Wu-Tang clans stuff to if ya want to listen to real hip hop, all the the hardcore NYC rappers are the best, Mobb Deep, Nas and you can get some excellant complimation mixed by Funk Master Flex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Jay-Z has some classics. Check out life and times vol. 2, the dynasty, blueprint 1, reasonable doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Hooky

2 PAC all eyes on me is deadly and greatest hits i love that song Unconditional Love

• Advertisement

Operation Doomsday by Mf Doom is one of the best hip-hop albums of all time, get that :D

otherwise, like I said, suicide is always a safe option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Dr Dre - 2001
    Beastie Boys - Anthology
    Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill

Prob the best 3 of all time..

oh yeah you really need Dr. Dre 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

De La Soul - 3 Feet and high and rising
    Public Enemy - It takes a nation of millions....
    Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5

And for an all round flava

Hip Hop Dont Stop Vol 1. (class compliation)

yeah J5

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Anything by the following.

Nas, Jurassic 5, De La Soul, Gang Star, Jungle Brothers, Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, Dilated Peoples, Eric B and Rakim, Rakim's solo stuff, Wu Tang, Jay Z, Swolen Members, Lexicon... The List goes on, just stay away from "fiddy" and the whole "Shady" family (with the exception of Obie Trice) and you should be ok...

He said he doesn't want anything "too deep down and dirty". He obviously likes commercial rap. Get dre 2001, jay-z blueprint 1 and an eminem album. All these are quite commercial but are still very good. Also get 2pacs greatest hits or else all eyez on me as someone suggested because you just have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Chingy?

Anyway.

Biggie - Ready To Die
    Snoop Dogg - Doggstyle
    Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
    GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords
    NaS - Illmatic
    Outkast - Aquemini

Six solid albums that aren't too "deep down and dirty", unless you dislike profanity.
    Maybe Liquid Swords isn't commercial enough for your tastes.

Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent By Design
    Blackalicious - Nia
    Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
    Dj Shadow - Endtroducing
    Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
    A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
    The Roots - Things Fall Apart

Albums anyone into hip-hop should have in their record collection imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

*lol*

First of all thats not appreciated, i think some of you took me up wrong ive been listening to rap for about 8 yrs now but havent bought music in a while was just wondering what new albums to get

I own Doggystyle, the chronic, most of cypress hills earlier stuff, few wu tang albums (dont actually like them that much tbh) also have lots of the original bad boys stuff with biggy and mace etc

by down and dirty i mean i dont like the heavier wu tang stuff and that type, if that means my taste is more commercial then i spose thats right but surely thats my own preference? also no probs with profanity

anywho thanks to those of you who made suggestions any more?

Oh and has anyone here listened to the first da luniz album (they had a track i got five on it) its quality

Cyrus wrote:
    First of all thats not appreciated, i think some of you took me up wrong ive been listening to rap for about 8 yrs now but havent bought music in a while was just wondering what new albums to get

I own Doggystyle, the chronic, most of cypress hills earlier stuff, few wu tang albums (dont actually like them that much tbh) also have lots of the original bad boys stuff with biggy and mace etc

by down and dirty i mean i dont like the heavier wu tang stuff and that type, if that means my taste is more commercial then i spose thats right but surely thats my own preference? also no probs with profanity

anywho thanks to those of you who made suggestions any more?

Oh and has anyone here listened to the first da luniz album (they had a track i got five on it) its quality

In that case Jay-z, ludicris, tupac, ja rule, tbh i won't go near any of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭johnnymc

A good start if ya want to hear the best of the 90's cali sound
    deathrowsgreatest.gif
    Check the death row site http://www.deathrowrecords.net
    Everything else everyone recommened is a good start aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I would suggest:

Missy Elliott - This Is Not A Test If u like her ;) Its a brilliant album!
    Tupac - All eyes on me My fav! ;)
    Obie Trice - Cheers
    Snoop Dogg - Doggy Style

and Hip Hop Dont Stop.

Check em out!

Fair enough, apologies but when people people say they like Chingy, they tend not to have been on this earth for more then 8 years let alone listening to rap for 8 years.
    I was serious with my suggestion of Grandmaster Flash though, he's got some great music.
    Makaveli made some good suggestions, I don't think you'd like Cannibal Ox if you don't like Wu Tang but the Roots, Jurassic 5 & A Tribe Called Quest would probably suit you down too the ground. Little more indie then stuff like Dre but they are very good.

Other people that spring too mind:
    Gang Starr
    Goodie Mob
    High & Mighty - Home Field Advantage
    KRS One
    Pharoahe Monch
    Organized Konfusion (Pharoahe's old band)
    Talib Kweli
    Del the Funky Homosapien

All relatively light enough, I'd definitley suggest listening to Pharoahe & Gang Starr if you haven't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Aaliyah's eponymous last album, "Aaliyah", is a must have for any RnB fan. One in a million is class too.

Go into HMV during the big sale they are having and you'll get "Full Clip- A Decade of Gang Star" for 9.99, well worth the money, some classic songs on that album.

*listens to some gang star "Big L rest in pace...."*

• Advertisement

On the old skool vibe try Slick Rick he is the master of storytelling.. such a good style. his albums are; The great adventures of slickrick and the art of storytelling.. AFAIK.

Don't forget about Digital Underground if you like slick Rick, group that launched 2pac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

2pac-All Eyez On Me, best album ever along with all his other albums, greatest rapper ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

"R U still down" by 2pac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Lil Johns album isnt bad and if you like Xzibit, get his new one, Weapons of Mass Destruction. Someone else mentioned Suicide for Chingy, if you like him, listen to that.Obie Trices Cheers is a pretty good album, as is Twistas Kamikaze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Hasnt been too many good albums out latly.

Lil jon and the eastside boys kings of crunk is really good, I love play no games just sounds cool but its been out a while.

Supprised noone has mentioned Games Documentary it album of the year so far.

Common - Be, might be a bit much for your taste but if you like kanye you should like this.

Young Buck - Welcome to cashville, best g unit album since get rich.

The newest snoop album is good better than most of his last ones although still not a patch on his first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Kristok wrote:
    Hasnt been too many good albums out latly.

Lil jon and the eastside boys kings of crunk is really good, I love play no games just sounds cool but its been out a while.

Supprised noone has mentioned Games Documentary it album of the year so far.

Common - Be, might be a bit much for your taste but if you like kanye you should like this.

Young Buck - Welcome to cashville, best g unit album since get rich.

The newest snoop album is good better than most of his last ones although still not a patch on his first one.
    i agree. havent heard all of commons album, well i only heard like 2or 3songs, but from what ive heard, its good. I love Crunk Juice and The Documentary, if your only to buy one or two, get those 2 i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

Tech N9ne - Advantage Tech, I just can't stop listening to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jive Turkey

Atmosphere- Lucy Ford
    Aesop Rock Labor Days
    Sage Francis- Personal Journals
    Blackalicious- Nia
    Dialated Peoples- The Platform
    Sole- Bottle of Humans
    Them(Doseone and JEL)- Them
    Deep Puddle Dynamics(Slug and ANT of Atmos, Sole, Doseone, JEL, and Alias of Anticon

The cream of independent hip-hop IMO.

• Advertisement

He says he likes chingy and your recommendation of something he would like is Sage Francis ? Seriously do you think he is going to want to listen to any of your suggestions or are you just showing off how great your taste is.

The thread title is albums everyone should have.
    It's an old post and long since evolved passed recommendations for the op.
    All Jive Turkey has done is list the albums he thinks everyone should have, why you need to add a little snide remark is beyond me.

Ha your the king of snide remarks but that aside none of the suggestions are in anyway inline with someone whos taste would be chingy 50 and nate dogg thats all im saying.

And incase i came across abit harsh i in no way am saying there is anything wrong with the suggestions you made but they dont match up with the orignal posts question no matter how old it was.

I am hardly the king of snide remarks.

You're right though this thread hadn't really gotten passed recommendations for the op. I was thinking of another thread and after having a look back over this one I see it was moneyman bumping another old thread.

Yes its all very confusing i only realised after my first reply how old the orignal post was cant imagine why he would want to bother revisiting the past theres simular threads done recently that have pretty much the same content, some people just have a weird sense of humour i guess.

yeh you f uckin wish :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Lil Johns album isnt bad and if you like Xzibit, get his new one, Weapons of Mass Destruction. Someone else mentioned Suicide for Chingy, if you like him, listen to that.Obie Trices Cheers is a pretty good album, as is Twistas Kamikaze

I'm not a fan of Chingy, nor am I the know-it-all of everything hip hop and rap; but that just shows how much you know. However at least you likin' x to tha z's wmd CD. His best one however has to be '40 Days and 40 Nights'.I'm really fellin xzibit right now (no homo). I would recommend an album that everyone should have : Outkast - Aquemini. Truly a classic

Someone else mentioned Suicide for Chingy, if you like him, listen to that
    lol
    :D

Xzibit's not bad, but his quality has deffinitley gone down in the last two albums imho.
    Been listening to the Slim Shady LP again, it's pretty fuçking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

John Cena-You Can't See Me.

Anything by 2Pac and Jay Z

Makaveli wrote:

You're right though this thread hadn't really gotten passed recommendations for the op. I was thinking of another thread and after having a look back over this one I see it was moneyman bumping another old thread.

Listen lads, im not tryin to piss any1 off, i just didnt look to see how old the thread was, yous dont have to make posts just coz i am anyways, so why make posts just coz i did, and then complain that im bringin up old stuff, im not forcin yous to make any posts or to read my posts. Sorry anyways.

In fairness this thread was not the problem it wasnt that old to be bringing up but the other one was fairly old and you did sorta go at someone with your post as far as i recall it just looked like you where flaming or something.

• Advertisement

listen krispcock, i wasn't apologising to u alone, so dont reply to my message as if your more important than everyone else, i apologise to everyone except u krispcock, now leave it at that.

Homo.

im not tryin to piss any1 off
    listen krispcock
    Homo.

:D

Advertisement