Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great Dell 20th Anniversary Error!

• 05-10-2004 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Dell were offering in their Monthly Business Mag a standard Server with following specs.

2.4Ghz Celeron
    512DDR
    2 x 160GB IDE Hard drives
    S-ATA Raid 0/1 compatibility
    Windows Server ED 2003
    Etc Etc

all for €299 Ex VAT and Del

now, I rang them up earlier to confirm and the sales person i spoke to said it was all correct except there was no OS with it, as that was a printers error.

Now, after rinigng up again to order it im told the whole lot is a printing error and that it should retail at €999.

Whats the legal standing on this?
    Can someone demand that they recieve it for the price market in the mag?

Maybe the Dell spokesperson wasn't the only person buying Marie Jane :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

They can charge whatever they want for it. If you don't want to pay it, go elsewhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I think all the debacles with Kodak and Amazon etc have shown that they only have to honour that price if they actually took the money from you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

There should be a tiny print up the border or somewhere on the leaflet stating that prices can change without prior notice, and while stocks last etc. ie. if we make a mistake we are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

the price listed is only an invitation to treat they can charge a different price for the item though as its only an invitation check this out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

It's advertising atm on UK TV for £399 including VAT iirc.

Think there's ITC standards in the UK for broadcasting or advertising something that is false - ie. prices which are wrong. It's like going to McDonalds and ordering a Big Mac. If it doesn't look like what is advertised, you can get it sent back (though it doesn't matter if your DELL PC gets spat on - it's not going to affect it too badly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Can someone demand that they recieve it for the price market in the mag?

As for this, I think you can. I remember hearing about this before when DELL made a feck up before in a sales catalogue - they had to honour the price and the included details. Can't remember if it was a case of something advertised in the picture that didn't disclaim that it wasn't included in the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**'] It's like going to McDonalds and ordering a Big Mac. If it doesn't look like what is advertised, you can get it sent back.

but it never looks like the burger in the pic
    so could i go in orger loads and send them all back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

complain to www.asai.ie they will sort it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

woosaysdan wrote:
    the price listed is only an invitation to treat they can charge a different price for the item though as its only an invitation check this out
    Absolutely. Sceptre's addressed this issue on Boards several times now, a search for "offer" under his handle should turn up plenty of detail. You should complain to the ASAI though, as it's good to have this type of thing on record so Dell won't be tempted to do some intentional "printing errors" in future.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

You'll always find the little letters 'E&OE' at the bottom of these type of ads. This means 'Errors and Ommissions Expected' and means exactly what it says. You as a consumer, should be aware that they expect to make errors on this ad, so when you ring up Dell they can charge you anything they like and don't have to honour anything that's in the ad.

Robbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

robbie1876 wrote:
    You'll always find the little letters 'E&OE' at the bottom of these type of ads.
    I understand this has very little legal standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Victor wrote:
    You could be right. I'm a sad bastard so I looked up what it meant:
    E&OE is a British acronym that stands for "Errors and Omissions Excepted". E&OE is a legal disclaimer that notifies the reader that, without prejudice, that the content and/or validity of the subject data may change without notice.
    from http://www.ventureline.com/glossary_E.asp
    Even if it had little meaning standing, I wouldn't fancy taking on Dell in a legal battle over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Victor wrote:

I used to design catalogs. And I'd always have to put down the following:

"All prices corect at the time of going to print. E&OE"

And I really don't think it gives you much legal standing. And believe me.. I used to make lots of mistakes on the prices in those catalogs... ha...

I got messed around in Dixon's once though. I tried to buy a scanner and when I got it to the check out desk it was €30 more expensive than the price it was marked with on the shelf.

I looked into this and apparently once they had informed me of the error and told be the correct price then they were covered.

But, if I had bought the scanner at the higher price and then noticed that the advertised price was lower, I would have been able to do something about it. That's what the Department of Consumer Affairs told me anyway.

Advertisement