Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange development in Bigley hostage situation...

Options
  • 05-10-2004 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Reuters and others have articles up that the Irish government have apparently just issued Ken Bigley an Irish passport on request from his family*. Apparently some hope that Irish citizenship might help persuade his kidnappers to release him (presumably as Ireland, unlike the UK, isn't an active participant in Iraq).

I can't see this working, but its an interesting development. I'm intrigued by the reason offered. My initial reaction is that this is a smart move by the Irish government on the international political scene, but I can't quite explain in words why...

jc

* His mother is Irish, apparently, and so he qualifies legally.

<edit>Just seen someone else beat me to this while I was typing. I'll close this thread</edit>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i refer u to this. Looks like you were beaten to the punch.

We can only being irish is seen as a reason not to be killed...

Yup his mum is from Dublin so he's entitled to it.
    BBC news 24 reported the passport thing aswell and said that he has been handed over to a different crew of hostage takers who are more interested in getting a ransom now than in killing him.
    The BBC's source for that was the Bigley family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement