Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What wil happen if i do this

Options
  • 05-10-2004 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Hi
    I have an analogue line from eircom at home, But i was given an isdn wall box tingy and an isdn t.a, what will happen if i connect it all up to the analogue line will i get faster internet access at single channel isdn speed ie 64k a second OR will i blow up the eircom exchange in town...Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The ports are different so you just won't be able to connect them, unless you try to snip both cables and hack them together (the odds that this has been done before are pretty high). If you did connect them up, nothing would happen, apart from a tiny chance of damage to the TA. The exchange'll have a good laugh to itself if that happens.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

digiking wrote:
    OR will i blow up the eircom exchange in town
    Every single kid would be doing that if it was a remote possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

The connectors will fit in, I've tried them all, i just havent wired the phone wire into it

Ie, The Rj45 cable from the t.a fits perfectly into the digital input on the wall box tingy

I'f i ring eircom and tell them i want to sign up for isdn can i use this gear or will the insist that they install a second isdn Wall box thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'd imagine they'll have to come over and install ISDN on-site regardless... afaik the voltage going through an ISDN line is higher than a POTS line, I'm not sure of the exact details but I'd say there's some tinkering to be done with your nearest telegraph poll before anything is going to work.
    You can definitly use your own TA no problems, but I dunno about your own wall-box... depends on their regulations I suppose... although if the ISDN wall-box you were given was taken from a previous eircom ISDN installation maybe they'd go for it.

I had my ISDN taken out there a few years back and the engineers tried to take the wall-box with them, but I was like - "eh hang on, I paid for that*", so I kept it... as I recall they said they could use that one if I wanted to get it reinstalled.
    (*I purchased the wall-box as part of my installation, cheeky bastards)

I suppose the only way to find out is give them a call eh?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can't put an ISDN TA on an analog line.
    The equipment at the exchnge end is probably different.
    Also the live voltages are different (ISDN up to 90V ? nearly double the POTS voltage - if the TA generates it rather than the exchange it might affect the analog line )

If you had an ISDN box on an ISDN line and it had an analog port then you shoud get 56K all the time if connecting into an ISP's Digital line wiht a compatible 56K modem - but don't quote me on that..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

If you had an ISDN box on an ISDN line and it had an analog port then you shoud get 56K all the time if connecting into an ISP's Digital line wiht a compatible 56K modem
    Any time I used a 56k modem to dial out through the POTS port on my isdn wallbox, I just got the same speeds as I'd get normally. (~45Kbps)
    When I first had it installed, I thought there might be some improvement in the POTS line quality as a result, that maybe the analog line piggy-backed the digital line to the exchange and bypassed a few kilometers of line noise, but the end result showed no such luck.
    It's completely different technology anyway, a 56k modem would fry if you tried to attach it to an isdn line, and a TA would sit there dumb-struck if you attached it to an analog line.
    It's best not to think about it really, just hand over the money ;)
    - but don't quote me on that..
    Sorry, but I'm bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Eircom wont let you supply the wallbox and certainly wont apply a discount - something along the lines of they must install a new box to minimise support\technical problems

Advertisement