Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Test Fail *for the best reason EVAR

Options
  • 05-10-2004 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Well, my car failed the NCT test... why, because it didn't have the name of the county in Irish above the numbers. Everything else fine the size font, EU stars or whatever, but it fails because it doesn't have the name in irish in tiny ille letters above the reg. The guy said I can buy a sticker that i can stick them on.

"Yes guard i saw a car mow down four kids yesterday, it was a red toyota starlet, 90 D 12345** something something, with some crazy kid in it, it all happened so fast i couldn't get the last two numbers"

"yes that is a tragedy happens all the time I'm afraid sir, crazy kids mowing each other down... I'm afraid I couldn't possibly find them tho with your details do you have anything else?"

"mmmmm yes, i seem to recall a 2 pixel high sticker on the reg plate it said baile atha cliath"

"oh well sir that makes allllllllllllll the difference, we know exactly who it is now and we'll get em for sure!... in fact I'm going to go out right now and get them. Still even tho there are crazy bastards that mowed down these kids in there cheapo car, at least they had the common sense to buy a sticker with that name on it, with out it, it could have been much...much worse, sleep well tonight good citizen."

What pisses me off is I probably read this before or heard it and just forgot about it. The car was a 91', rest made up of course :)

The rest of the car was perfect, it did scarily well in all the tests considering how old it is.

Such bull****. This is all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

pey also heard of this beforehand on some radio show, apparantly there was a case where the gards gave some bloke a ticket for the same reason whilst he was parked up eating his lunch and minding his own business. Tis madness...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Well, I must be living under a rock....wtf?
    Is this for real?
    What the hell is this country coming to? it's beyond a joke at this stage.
    Thanks for the heads up though, mine's due this month.

/me goes off to check number plate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Amazing is'nt it? NCT - language police.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

thats an absolute joke, its just a scam by the nct crowd to get your money (i.e the re-check fee)....it is absolutely sick you have my condolences buddy you just got robbed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This and 'indicators not orange enough' are the reason the NCT are a bunch of useless monkeys.

You have to be a real spod to fail people for this but I have heard of it happening many times.

I have one of those label printers in work and am going to put pretend Irish words on my plate 'if' I ever do an NCT again (Bailme Outa Chokey) and see if the knuckle-dragger who tests the car spots it...

Thats it - a prize for the best pretend Irish sweary words for your county and I'll print 'em and post 'em to you...

The prize? Oh probably the '88 Uno at the bottom of my garden.....

'c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

I don't think i'll be charged for the 'retest' i.e. they look at the plates. You get charged 28 ish euro if it has to use any of the equipment (like lights alignment).

It means I'm waiting another few days till I find the stickers, I have one, got it off an uncle who works in a garage, get the other one when I've a chance and bring the car back into them to see it.

So I'll be driving the next few days in a perfectly fine car cept for those stickers, in the very very rare chance I meet an 'asshole garda'/'garda' I'll be fined 1500euro or so :S (touches wood) and runs away from Murphy's Law. This on a sheet they gave me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Madness,

Have heard of this happening before . I thought the NCT was to get unroadworthy cars off the road, How does this make the car dangerous?

Only In Ireland.

BTW a mate of mine is A DOE tester and he reckons that the NCT Centres need a certain amount of retests at €27 a go to make them financially viable. I had never thought of it before but his theory is that if you compare the number of tests they can physically carry out in a hour against the number of bodies carrying out these tests they need a certain number of shorter bay retests to make a profit.

This fail does not fall into that catagory as I assume this is a visual retest which will be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It is a ****in' scam by one of the most corrupt governments in the world.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Well it does state here -> http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##12 that they check reg plates and the law is that the county be on them. So they are enforcing what the law is and that's what they are supposed to do. they don't make the rules up - Mini Brennan was the one who added items to the checklist. FranklyI hope they also stop the plates that have regs in script or strange colours - butthen again I suppose they are put back on again after the test.

Unfortunately we can't pick and choose the bits of laws that we want applied to us - the best we can hope for is that we don't get caught...

(re the person whose buddy is a DOE tester - how does he/she feel about the constant allegations that they are on a quota system / don't like things on wet Tuesdays and other baseless allegations - does it p*** them off (it would me) ?)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unfortunatley, they are just enforcing the law, crazy as it may be (www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/vehicle_registration_numbers.html). If your car was a year older you could write your own name on it and I don't think they could say boo!
    However, I still agree that the NCTS are corrupt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah, this was posted here before (a few months ago?)

I was furious about it at the time, but it was pointed out to me that the NCT organisation itself doesn't make the rules...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hang on this is in the week when we became aware of a problem that people are getting away with offenses because of dodgy plates.

Like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Both times my car went through the nct the testers were Romanian, so basically you could put anything you want as gaeilge above the numbers, dont think they would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

My Dad's car failed because one of the bulbs over the number plate was blown. Deathtrap! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Isn't it funny how the NCT was introduced to make cars safer and more environmentally friendly, but now, their power has seemingly grown. They're 'enforcing the law' in other areas. Do they check your tax and insurance aswell, and maybe a body search while you're in the waiting room?...or maybe they'll check your driving license for any outstanding warrants :rolleyes:
    Is this the government's pathetic answer to a dedicated traffic corps....we can't stop people smashing into eachother on our roads but at least their number plates will be patriotic when they do.

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i can't beleive this argument i came from england several years ago and when reregistered my car the guy asked what font i wanted and what i wanted written on the number plate i told i wnated a legal one so he made me up the proper plate. if your stupid enough to have illegal number plates then it serves you right - no sympathy whatsoever. just cos the law hasn't been enforced doesn't mean it isn't there. i also reckon garages that sell new cars with dodgy number plates should be nicked and given hefty fines. in england (not NI) you just never bothered cos you'd fail the mot and the traffic cops would have you within 10 mins, saw a guy pulled for haveing the plate on the dash cos it had fallen off !. there's alaw for plates make sure your car complies -simple.

not orange enough bulbs really bugs me thoughi know someone whohad a 4 year old volvo and had to replace the indicator units (orange glass) cost him a fortune i think i would have been ringing the manufacturer rather than paying up.

they have no way of measuring how orange a bulb is so if this failure was given to me I have to say I would throw a wobbler! I reckon they would just pass me to be rid of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

My car reg is WX yet its says Baile Atha Cliath on the plate. It passed the NCT with no problem. The plate is a new one put on 18 months ago after the original got trashed along with the rest of the front of my car when a dumbass thought it was okay to cross to the other side of the road without looking to see if anything was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

kbannon wrote:
    they have no way of measuring how orange a bulb is
    That's a very good point.
    "How 'orange' is your indicator" is something like "How long is a piece of string" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

i can't beleive this argument i came from england several years ago and when reregistered my car the guy asked what font i wanted and what i wanted written on the number plate i told i wnated a legal one so he made me up the proper plate. if your stupid enough to have illegal number plates then it serves you right - no sympathy whatsoever. just cos the law hasn't been enforced doesn't mean it isn't there. i also reckon garages that sell new cars with dodgy number plates should be nicked and given hefty fines. in england (not NI) you just never bothered cos you'd fail the mot and the traffic cops would have you within 10 mins, saw a guy pulled for haveing the plate on the dash cos it had fallen off !. there's alaw for plates make sure your car complies -simple.

Once again, the plates have the standard font, standard size, eu stars etc'. The plate did not have the county in Irish above these letters. The plate has been on the car probally since it was sold first way back in 1991, I've had the car for the last 2years, and it passed its NCT 2 years ago, and nothing was ever said about the plates. I'm not looking for sympathy, more expressing my anger of such a stupid rule, aswell as the NCT enforcing it, while letting other people know. By the way there were a bunch of posters on the wall in the test center which I read out of boredom while waiting on the car to be tested, they showed the two types of plates that you can have, their measurements, the font, the colour, the EU thing, but guess what, it didn't mention yeee old County in Irish above the numbers.

• Advertisement

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/vehicle_registration_numbers.html has the rules about number plates and mentons the requirement for the county name to be in Irish.

This link also has info about how to reserve next years numbers eg 05-D-666 for <insert your favourite hate figure here> . Interestingly if you reserve a large number eg 12345 you will have to wait until that number is reached before you can register your car..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dcGT wrote:
    "How 'orange' is your indicator" is something like "How long is a piece of string" :)
    All colours can be defined, although I don't know if the orange for indicators is.

few things:-
    * the NCTS do state that you should check your headlamps and reg plates before going for the test. They are merely enforcing the law! To have tha law changed kidnap your TD!
    * the test checks to see if the indicators work and if they are orange as per the law. The staff have no facility for checking how orange they are, nor do they have the remit to do so. There are no legal definitions of how orange a bulb/lens should be so how can Mr. NCT fail someone on this?
    * the licence plate system is a sequentially ordered system so why should #12345 be allowed on the road before #22? IMO it is a very good system that we have here. I believe that it is good that registrations last the lifetime of the car and are non-transferable. In the UK the DVLA makes a nice bit of money by holding onto what it believes are good plates and then selling them at vastly over inflated charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

parsi wrote:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/vehicle_registration_numbers.html has the rules about number plates and mentons the requirement for the county name to be in Irish.

This link also has info about how to reserve next years numbers eg 05-D-666 for <insert your favourite hate figure here> . Interestingly if you reserve a large number eg 12345 you will have to wait until that number is reached before you can register your car..
    I thought Irish isn't an EU recognised language or something ? (Remember that Irish EU minister that started talking in Irish in Brussels and was told off for it). Surely plates are to an EU set standard ? So we have another local rule ontop of that ? Surely that makes them illegal in EU eyes ???? Which also brings up the whole "if we are in the EU and free trade & travel yada yada why can i not get car insurance in the UK or France or in any other EU country ?" Its another scam by the Irish corrupt government. I got done for the whole "not orange enough bulbs" yoke I actually thought it was a joke. Didn't know about the plate thingy............ *heading out to carpark to check*

The only EU standard is that the EU symbol and the country name is on the plate - other than that it's up to the country to make its own standards ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

parsi wrote:
    Well it does state here -> http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##12 that they check reg plates and the law is that the county be on them.

Erm isnt the letter/s in the middle of the reg a good indicator of the county ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

parsi wrote:
    The only EU standard is that the EU symbol and the country name is on the plate - other than that it's up to the country to make its own standards ..
    really ? I am very confused by this. I wouldn't have thought that the irish government would have brought in NCT unless told by the EU ? So there are EU set standards on emissions etc but not on Car regs and orange bulbs which is the one we are gettin screwed on ...... madness this country madness....... cheers parsi was out checking the reg there and its all good except for the yoke attached to the reg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The Irish county name is only required on cars that were registered after the introduction of that style of plate. It might be worth checking whether 1991 falls outside of this requirement.

If you do a search, you should fine a few threads on this in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

From memory, how it came about that the county name in Irish had to be on the plate was because when the NCt was being set up Mr brennan (or whoever was in charge at the time) put out to the various departments regarding things they would like to see on the test. The name in Irish was the sole request of the Dept of Gaeltocht (or whatever its called).

Apparently they dont give a flying fcuk what state the car's in as long ast he county name is written in Irish on the plate. I'm gonna start swearing now.....

• Advertisement

read the link that was provided a number of times (http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/vehicle_registration_numbers.html)
    It clearly states that any cars registered from Jan 1st, 1991 onwards mush have the following:-
    * The registration number consisting of numbers and letters must be in black on a white reflective background
    * The name of the county of registration must be in Irish, (examples are Baile Átha Cliath, Corcaigh, etc.)
    * The flag of the EU and the letters "IRL" must be placed on the left-hand side of the plate, the flag comprising 12 gold stars in a circle, the letters in white beneath it, all on a blue reflective background. No other numbers, letters, marks, etc., should appear on your registration plate.

Advertisement