Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Test Fail *for the best reason EVAR

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

i know someone who failed the nct cos he had a loose bulb in the light casing of his headlight... for whatever reason the new bulb was put in and the old bulb left loose inside the casing... no idea how that happened but the car failed as a result... farce.... the garage man checking it could have just as easily thrown the bulb in the bin...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ Canis Lupis - what was the exact reason for them failing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Me 4rse. Why do you keep typing about this subject when it is clear we are being held ransom by a shower of lily-livered civil servants who didn't learn enough French in school to tell the EU to shove their NCT up its collective hole.

Are you listening carefully? JUST STOP GETTING YOUR CAR NCT'd Its simple. You can still tax it, insure it and drive it and NO-ONE that I have heard has been prosecuted for not having an NCT. I would love to hear from actual motorists who didn't have an NCT and got a fine or summons and I will shut up on this subject.

If enough motorists stop doing the test, the company carrying it out will go out of business. Or the cops will start enforcing it and then I'll shut up again. I have three cars outside, none have NCT's, two have tax and they are all in daily use and never a problem.

Like I said, if I ever get one NCT'd (to sell it) I'll put nonsense above the plate and marmalade on the indicator bulbs. Of all the cars I've had, I've never had legal plates and only been ticketed once while riding a bike with a plate the size of my Visa card in the style of the Japanese flag.

And any whingy marys who bleat about 'oh its your own tough luck if you get caught, the law is the law' BITE ME!!!!

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Me 4rse. Why do you keep typing about this subject when it is clear we are being held ransom by a shower of lily-livered civil servants who didn't learn enough French in school to tell the EU to shove their NCT up its collective hole.

Are you listening carefully? JUST STOP GETTING YOUR CAR NCT'd Its simple. You can still tax it, insure it and drive it and NO-ONE that I have heard has been prosecuted for not having an NCT. I would love to hear from actual motorists who didn't have an NCT and got a fine or summons and I will shut up on this subject.

'c

Heh.... sounds like a good plan. But can't you now get points for not having an NCT cert, or has that not come in yet. I remember reading the number of points given for various offences and I think speeding was 2 points but no NCT was up to 5 points???? :eek: Can't remember for certain.

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

It hasnt come in yet

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/index2.php?fn=points_issued.html

No NCT will be a mandatory court appearance, if found guilty 5 points

• Advertisement

look at www.penaltypoints.ie
    Currently points are awarded for seatbelt, speeding, & insurance offences and for careless driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Are you listening carefully? JUST STOP GETTING YOUR CAR NCT'd Its simple. You can still tax it, insure it and drive it and NO-ONE that I have heard has been prosecuted for not having an NCT.

And any whingy marys who bleat about 'oh its your own tough luck if you get caught, the law is the law' BITE ME!!!!
    If your car does not have an NCT cert and is involved in an accident then you may not be covered by insurance. Then you are in deep shít.

And for all the people bitching and whining about the test. There are a range of laws relating to cars and the NCT seems like a good place to me for them being checked and enforced. Would you rather the Guards were out on a Monday morning stopping traffic to check tyre pressures, or do you feel that we should have no laws and standards for vehicles?

Anyway the whole test is being applied in a common sense way. If you fail they are not impounding your car and sending it to a scrap merchant on the spot. You can drive off right there and then. Personally I think for some things they should be able to seize the cars (e.g. bad brakes).

Also while the test is not just about road safety it is an important part of the overall road safety campaign. The campaign is based on "Three 'E's": Education, Engineering and Enforcement. The NCT is one part of the Engineering "E", as well as road improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

sliabh wrote:
    If your car does not have an NCT cert and is involved in an accident then you may not be covered by insurance.

You say 'may'. I'm curious as to what the determining factors are in such a situation. The same goes for car tax. People on the boards have said before that your insurance is void if do not have car tax, others say that you are still legally insured. Surely the law must provide a definitive answer to these scenarios?

DC.

dcGT wrote:
    You say 'may'. I'm curious as to what the determining factors are in such a situation. The same goes for car tax. People on the boards have said before that your insurance is void if do not have car tax, others say that you are still legally insured. Surely the law must provide a definitive answer to these scenarios?
    As far as I know, it comes down to a decision of the Insurance company. If they feel that at the time of the accident the car was not road worthy and you knew it (as you knew it had failed or avoided an NCT) then they can declare your insurance void. The details will be in your policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I know for def that up to 6 moinths ago the limk gards were told not to prosecute for NCT as they had no basis in law for bringing that prosecution but since then I have not heard anything.

Personally I would never complain about having to ensure you car's road-worthiness once every 2 years but as usual FF has set it up as a money making exercise with no real thought and subject to the wims of assholes. It should be about safety - nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

kbannon wrote:
    * the licence plate system is a sequentially ordered system so why should #12345 be allowed on the road before #22?

As long as each car has a unique number, what difference does it make? Exactly what infromation can you take from 00-C-20203? That it was registered Mayish? Nobody knows how many cars were sold any given year so it's no use at all.

it is a sequential system so until all numbers up to your number are issued then yours is not 'ready' and cannot be used. From this perspective it keeps things easy to monitor and organise (within the DoE).
    If people could choose a random number then what is stopping people choosing 10 billion and 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

kbannon wrote:
    If people could choose a random number then what is stopping people choosing 10 billion and 1?

The width of the number plate.

LOL - you know what I mean!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the law pertaining to driving cars with say, the steering wheel on the other side?
    If you try and pass an NTC you'd surely fail, no?

why? If it was designed that way then it is fine. If it was modified then it presumable would need to be checked for safety (Im sure the insurance company would require this also).

AFAIK there is an automatic 50% insurance loading if the car was built as left hand drive. I would be surprised if anyone would quote for a car that is subsequently modified to right hand drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I had my car NCT's last year and it was a bit of a joke. It failed because the centre rear seat-belt was stuck down hehind the seat (to stop it flying all over the place). The guy in the centre told me it failed and showed me where the belt was. I had to simply pull the belt up (whcih took 2 seconds), and drive around again to let them see that it was there. Only then would they issue my certificate.
    I thought that was a little silly....

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I know it sounds silly .. but.. it is specifically mentioned in their "preparation leaflet" http://www.ncts.ie/preparing_for.html so maybe the guys there were thinking that if people don't make the effort to do what's in the list then why should they bother...I'm sure they've seen plenty of folk who do worse - dirty underside (of car), obviously shagged wipers, missing bulbs replaced by swalows nest etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

sliabh wrote:
    AFAIK there is an automatic 50% insurance loading if the car was built as left hand drive. I would be surprised if anyone would quote for a car that is subsequently modified to right hand drive.

Not the way you mean - though in effect it probably works out that way, since a tiny subset of insurance companies are prepared to quote for a LHD without being forced (and we know all about how that goes...)

The way it crumbled for me (1999 BMW 323i LHD) was that only two companies that I could find would quote - St. Paul and Eagle Star. At least in the case of Eagle Star, the premium they quoted was either spot on their RHD rate for the same car or very close. However, there are plenty of other companies who were undercutting them by quite a bit for RHD.

For anybody that cares, I pay about EUR1650, despite max no-claims bonus.

Dermot

PS: Nearly forgot - Despite LHD I passed NCT with flying colours. I was concerned that their headlamp calibration jig might "expect" a pattern I couldn't produce (Xenon lights are expensive to swap too), but no problem. They did suggest mentioning the LHD lights issue to the supervisor, which I did - he noncommitally assured me that they would be able to test, knew what they were looking for and would pass it if it passed. Luckily it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

sliabh wrote:
    AFAIK there is an automatic 50% insurance loading if the car was built as left hand drive.

Bit steep. It's actually 10% with most companies.

On the custom plate thing, why not allow ANY combination of Letters & Numbers, and charge 500 notes for it. Money to the Govt & happy punters.

You can still stick the year and county across the top.

05 D FCUK
    05 C DAMO
    05 D UNBELIEVEABLES etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

i'll give ya a good one....
    one of my old housemates went to do his nct in a 88 kadett
    it was in bits but me did it up enough to pass,...
    but they failed him cos his side repeater was not wired up...
    let me explain.. the 88 kadett was not standard fitted with side repeaters..
    therefore they dont have to be there, but his car was crashed years before that and the wing he sourced from a breaker was from a 90 model which had side repeaters... so NCT told him if its there it must be working properly.. he said "but the other side dosent even have one.. you want me to wire up one indecator just to pass this poxy test?" YEP!
    so he trotted off to his mechanic who had setup the car for him so it would pass... the mechanic laughed and ripped the side repeater off and told him to go back... he did and he passed....!!

this country is a bloody joke!!

oh by the way... my car passed and it doesnt have my county in irish... it has my knickname on it!! as usual its a different set of rules for everyone..

money money money money its the only thing ireland is interested in (the ntc was supposed to be all about road safety/ and road worthiness... how is a regplate county spelling a safety issue!!)

later
    Macker

Advertisement