Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL router

Options
  • 05-10-2004 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

HI,

I would appreciate some advise on a router for NTL cable. I don't necessarly what wireless unless it has additional advantages...I intent connecting 3 computers and will stick with the modem i have.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

wideband wrote:
    I would appreciate some advise on a router for NTL cable. I don't necessarly what wireless unless it has additional advantages...I intent connecting 3 computers and will stick with the modem i have.
    You can use just about any router unless is it explicitly a DSL router. Any router that is described as a "broadband router" or a "DSL/cable router" will do the job. The vast majority of the routers available will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

Thanks Ripwave,

im looking for some info on specific models and ones to avoid also

tks

wideband wrote:
    im looking for some info on specific models and ones to avoid also
    As far as routers go, it doesn't really make much difference. I like D-Link gear myself, but you can't go far wrong with Linksys or Netgear. And now that SMC Barricade stuff is available here, it's just another choice. 3Com are doing some reasonably priced wireless stuff too, and that's another trustworthy name. (I really don't have any specific "avoid" recommendations - most people just find that whatever thay have works, at least for the basic functionality of sharing their BB connection).

Sometimes, especially early in their life, there seem to be batches that have problems, so unless you want some particular feature, I'd be inclined to buy something that's been around for a year or two, and has had any wrinkles worked out.

Note that you might not even need a router - with DSL you can actually get away with a simple switch or hub. I can't remember what the deal is with NTL - does the NTL modem provide a "private" 192.something IP address, in which case it may support multiple PCs, or does it just act as a "bridge", in which case you would need a router.

Sorry I can't be more specific - there really aren't enough "problems" for it to be a big issue for people. You might want to read the Modems and Routers stickie on the Broadband forum, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

Thanks for your time Ripwave,

Sometimes, especially early in their life, there seem to be batches that have problems, so unless you want some particular feature, I'd be inclined to buy something that's been around for a year or two, and has had any wrinkles worked out.
    I'd say that is sound advise and will take it on board

Note that you might not even need a router - with DSL you can actually get away with a simple switch or hub. I can't remember what the deal is with NTL - does the NTL modem provide a "private" 192.something IP address, in which case it may support multiple PCs, or does it just act as a "bridge", in which case you would need a router.
    this is something to chew-on and ill try and get a bit of info on this even if its only for future reference.

Thanks
    m8

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

I have an NTL Terayon Cable modem for my 600K NTL BB, it connects through a USB port on my PC,
    I share this connection by a network card on my PC connected to a DLink 10/100 4 port hub, this is connected to 2 other PC's upstairs and it works a treat,
    leave the IP settings on the cable modem alone and give your network card and other PC's an address in the range 192.168.0.X, Windows XP will detect and share the connection automatically, W2K or Win98 will need ICS enabled,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

wideband wrote:
    I can't remember what the deal is with NTL - does the NTL modem provide a "private" 192.something IP address

the ntl modem will give one ip address to whatever is connected to it (ie pc / router / xbox etc) and it's a dynamic ip
    usually it's a 62.xx / 81.xx / 82.xx

just set up your router for dynamic ip addresses and then configure your internal network with 10.x or 192.x ip addresses

the ntl modem will give one ip address to whatever is connected to it (ie pc / router / xbox etc) and it's a dynamic ip
    usually it's a 62.xx / 81.xx / 82.xx
    So you will need a €40 router, a €25 switch or hub won't do.

Advertisement