Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB: What dns servers are used?

• 05-10-2004 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As the question above. Im using the zyxel and configure the machines to use it as the dns server. Im wondering what dns servers it queries when I make a dns request.
    Any advantages to getting my machines to query an actual dns server (like 194.145.128.1 & .2)--speed maybe?

Ta!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

are the primary and secondary

http://bt-esat.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt_esat.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Cheers tman. nice and quick. I was about to post those up aswell as ID figured out!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

The DNS IPs that I got from IOL that I use are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Conor-Mr2 wrote:
    Any advantages to getting my machines to query an actual dns server (like 194.145.128.1 & .2)--speed maybe?
    No advantage, and the possibility of needless hassle if IOL ever need to swap their DNS servers around for maintenance (though this is not all that likely to happen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Thanks for that Ripwave. So stick with using the ip address of my router as the DNS server.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Conor-Mr2 wrote:
    Thanks for that Ripwave. So stick with using the ip address of my router as the DNS server.
    Yes. The router gets up to date DNS server addresses on a regular basis, so it should always be able to do lookups. And the overhead of doing the lookup through your router is so tiny that you would never be able to tell.

Advertisement