Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post edit/delete timeouts

Options
  • 05-10-2004 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

Can the timeout on editing (or deleting) a post please be brought down to something sensible like 20 or 30 minutes? At the moment - correct me if I'm wrong - it's set to 48 hours. This is being abused increasingly by people that are deciding to 'revise history' in threads that don't go the way they want or expect them to.

Opinions/Critique?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I say have it down to something like 10mins... Enough time to capture spelling mistakes and grammatical errors without looking silly, but not enough to go back and totally re-do an argument without it being captured... Or even make the reason for an edit manditory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Id say cut it from 2 days to 1 day. 24 hours.

I dont like it if i post something drunk then check boards to find a ramble of alcoholic stupidity. Though this rarly happens on the public forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Or you could just, y'know, not post on boards when you're drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Why do we need a change its fairly obvious when a post has been edited, and correct me if Im wrong but cant a mod see what the orginal post was?

Only good suggestion I would think is to make the reason mandatory (even then the text could still be random) and maybe make the 'edited' timestamp larger.

I've seen very few examples of edit 'abuse'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moriarty wrote:
    Or you could just, y'know, not post on boards when you're drunk.
    That's crazy. You're crazy man, stop talking crazy.

seamus: Invoking Sleepy's law since 1907!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Why do we need a change its fairly obvious when a post has been edited, and correct me if Im wrong but cant a mod see what the orginal post was?

Nope. If a reason for editing it given we can see that no problem. We can also see deleted posts and threads etc. We just cannot see the previous contents of edited posts.

Moriarty you must be crazy. Posting while drunk is always the best idea .... well, the best idea at the time. Seeing as though my computer is but 2 meters from my bed its like a stop off on the way to sleep..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Make the edited text a different colour, with the [color] tags disabled during editing?

Advertisement