Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tired of mobiles, want a pager and not always be available...

• 06-10-2004 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

OK, I am sick of mobile phones and I am tired of my ear and head getting hot after a 30 min conversation on the phone which I am sure doesn't do my brain any good (if it messes with speakers it must mess with human tissue/organs).

So what if any are the paging options? I've just done a search and it turned up very little besides an out of date Eirmessage website.

Ideally, I would like to be in contact with friends and family but not *all* *the* *time*. Sure, it's great to be able to make a 2 euro/minute call to tell someone you are on top of a cliff or something, but TBH I am very tired of the whole mobile thing.

So do they exist anymore? Is it possible for me to say have a pager that someone could call a number and then input say a serious of digits or numbers for me to call. I don't like voice messages particularly as I would prefer as little third party interference as possible. This thing seems like it should be pretty simple, cheap and not fry my brain. So does anyone have any ideas where I should start looking?

Yes I can just turn off the phone, but I'd rather a simple pager which would alert me with a number to call when say my family or someone was looking to speak with me. Plus, it would mean keeping appointments as you wouldn't get lazy and simply call for being late or say arriving late and so on.

This is all because I realised a few weeks ago that I really didn't need to be in constant contact with anyone, ever. Any suggestions (besides go live in a cave!)?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

hmm i'm not sure if pagers are still avaibable in ireland. i know Doctors have them, but outside that facuty i dont think anyone else has them....

try turning your phone on silent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

Get a blackberry which can also send txts. Additionally, Esat Digifone used to have a ‘secretary’ service where someone would answer your calls and send the msg to you as a txt.

Think that would solve your problems….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Captain, I know exactly how you feel! I also noticed from my high phone bill that I can't really afford to be in touch with everybody all the time!

BTW How many people switch off their phone at night? Recently, I discovered that nearly all my family left their phone on at night. I use mine for work and pleasure but as soon as I hit the sack the phone is switched off.

It's a pity that phones don't allow more sophisticated and easy to set profiles that would allow you have different voice mail settings depending on how you want to take calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Eirpage Ireland was sold from Vodafone and as of this morning, Irish paging services are now being run by Pageboy Ltd.

Contact them about getting a pager...
    BTW How many people switch off their phone at night? Recently, I discovered that nearly all my family left their phone on at night. I use mine for work and pleasure but as soon as I hit the sack the phone is switched off.
    I do, but purely in case someone needs to contact me in an emergency. I've no landline see, so no other way of being contacted. Only had to be woken once in an emergency (well, not an emergency, herself was drunk and couldn't get a taxi :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

BrianD wrote:
    Captain, I know exactly how you feel! I also noticed from my high phone bill that I can't really afford to be in touch with everybody all the time!

It's a pity that phones don't allow more sophisticated and easy to set profiles that would allow you have different voice mail settings depending on how you want to take calls.

It's more like I don't like the idea of my brain heating up and being able to be contacted anytime by anybody, plus being trackable with technology as good as GPS. I realised I got on fine before mobiles.

I will try Pageboy. Man, that call to Vodafone will be funny. Probably first time in years someone is actually cancelling a contract completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I can confirm for certain pagers are still used in Ireland, we use them for on call, though we are getting rid of them in favour of mobile phones.

Captain Trips, have you looked at the devices that do SMS only? They are essentially a mobile phone without voice capabilities. Can't think of names off the top of my head, but I know there are a few around.

Might be a compromise.

Advertisement