Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking For Someone Who Has Broadband and who needs a roommate (esp Leap, ill pay)

• 06-10-2004 5:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I currently am working here in Florida but I am in the process of moving to Dublin Ireland to work remote but in order to do this I need a quality Internet connection that can do VOIP so I can do phone from the USA. I am espicially looking for someone who has Leap high speed already or is elgible for it as I will pay for Leap at a location (the 1MB up and down would be best for voip and high speed and reliability it sounds like). DSL might be ok but I heard they might block voip ports but it might be fine.

The reason I need someone who has broadband already or who will go to the trouble of installing it for me (i pay of course) prior to me coming is so that I can fly down on a weekend and not miss any work so I don't loose vacation time :).

Also a couple questions,
    1. can anyone tell me how voip works from ireland on different internet services?
    2. any comments on leap?

I did searches on these great boards for the above and leap seems to be great, as well as responding to all my emails really quick but just wanted to hear some of the latest comments. Also VOIP i only found a few posts on this board.

Please let me know, would be aiming to come down at end of october but I'm really flexible if sooner is needed, please email me any questions etc, or if anyone has a LEAP connection I can use for a while in return for some $ while I find a place and get setup would be sweet.
    Thanks, Ben
    bwb@greenknight.org

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

For calls you can use telestunt.ie instead. Local call rates to the US on standard phone line. I've certainly used Skype over an Eircom ADSL line and haven't heard of anyone having problems with it otherwise either, if you insist on VoIP.

There could be issues with setting up fixed wireless on rented property, so it's a lot easier to find somewhere with ADSL. Or somewhere with a phone line that you can install ADSL on. With a bit of luck you'll even get the first 3-4 months free with current deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

bwb wrote:
    Hi, I currently am working here in Florida but I am in the process of moving to Dublin Ireland to work remote but in order to do this I need a quality Internet connection that can do VOIP so I can do phone from the USA. I am espicially looking for someone who has Leap high speed already or is elgible for it as I will pay for Leap at a location (the 1MB up and down would be best for voip and high speed and reliability it sounds like). DSL might be ok but I heard they might block voip ports but it might be fine.

The reason I need someone who has broadband already or who will go to the trouble of installing it for me (i pay of course) prior to me coming is so that I can fly down on a weekend and not miss any work so I don't loose vacation time :).

Also a couple questions,
    1. can anyone tell me how voip works from ireland on different internet services?
    2. any comments on leap?

I did searches on these great boards for the above and leap seems to be great, as well as responding to all my emails really quick but just wanted to hear some of the latest comments. Also VOIP i only found a few posts on this board.

Please let me know, would be aiming to come down at end of october but I'm really flexible if sooner is needed, please email me any questions etc, or if anyone has a LEAP connection I can use for a while in return for some $ while I find a place and get setup would be sweet.
    Thanks, Ben
    bwb@greenknight.org

Check out www.voipirl.ie for voip information.

I use Leap Broadband 1024/1024 in the office and NTL Cable Broadband 1500/256 at home. When using Remote Desktop Connection to connect from home to the office its like sitting in front of the computer in the office. With leaps 1MB upload speed it is excellent for connecting too.

Its only been down a few times in the past 2 years but they get the problem fixed in a couple of hours.

I wouldn't change from NTL to Leap as the upload speed is not that important for me and the ping times are too high for gaming ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bwb

Blaster99 wrote:
    For calls you can use telestunt.ie instead. Local call rates to the US on standard phone line. I've certainly used Skype over an Eircom ADSL line and haven't heard of anyone having problems with it otherwise either, if you insist on VoIP.

There could be issues with setting up fixed wireless on rented property, so it's a lot easier to find somewhere with ADSL. Or somewhere with a phone line that you can install ADSL on. With a bit of luck you'll even get the first 3-4 months free with current deals.
    Thanks for the tip on telestunt.ie, I need to use VOIP for incoming calls as well though. Ya sounds like ADSL would be a good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bwb

Or perhaps does anyone know of any businesses that would let me use their connection for a fee for a couple weeks till i'm up and running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

bwb wrote:
    Or perhaps does anyone know of any businesses that would let me use their connection for a fee for a couple weeks till i'm up and running?

Start calling Internet Cafe's... there are tons of them, maybe you will be able to work out a deal with one... check www.yellowpages.ie for internet cafe's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

bwb wrote:
    if you have a laptop with wifi a lot of net cafes seem to offer a monthly fee to use their hotspot.

Advertisement