Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pitch Black

• 12-11-2000 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

This has been out for aaaaaaaaages in the US, but only arrived here recently; I have to say, it was worth the wait. Frankly it rocks; it isn't quite Aliens, but its VERY clever, exceptionally tightly edited, and manages to throw up some interesting surprises. Not very scary - but there's an overriding feeling of menace that works well. Perhaps the best bit is that despite the hideous creatures and so on which assault the characters, we're constantly made to feel that they're not the REAL danger.... It's a cool film, and well worth a look.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

The trailer on TV looks good, must go and see it next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

it's out on DVD here for a while now. I don't know the reviews here said it was just filming of a lot of blackness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

i went to see this film last night and i have to say i wasn't very impressed. it was so predictable and a complete rip-of alien/s. the only good thing about this film was vin diesel i think is a believable action star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Oh, I agree that it was predictable; but then again, I could have guessed right from the start what was going to happen, more or less. What keeps the tension up, for the most part, is the excellent way in which the movie is cut; it makes it so that you don't worry about the creatures, so much as you do about the humans. Aliens tried to do that (Burke) but failed, for the most part; Pitch Black takes that idea, and expands it into an entire movie.

I also really like the directing style; the use of colour so heavily in the early parts of the movie, with sepia and blue tones being the order of the day, makes a great contrast with the darkness of the second part.

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I liked it. Cant say fairer then that.

Im going to the bear fights tomorrow, want to come with ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

i thought it was quite good. and a few wimmin yelp at appropriatly jumpy moments throughout smile.gif

(i'm going by the sound of the yelp in determining the sex of the yelper btw smile.gif )

I Live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I wanna get my eyeballs shined smile.gif

bit ott but good fun smile.gif watch it at night - it's better that way wink.gif

There was a queue outside the gaff on the way in cos we had for them to clean up after the last showing. Screen 2 was ready so the guy comes down the queue saying "Anyone coyote ugly"? Some of the lads started laughing but what really took the cake was the bunch of dumb ass women who practically ran over with their tickets biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ho hum yeah it wasn't bad, but not great either. First half was nicely shot and, as pointed out beforehand, the humans were scarier than the aliens.

Second half dipped sharply enough quality wise, it was adequate - aliens remind me of nothing more than half an octopus with a coat hanger on top.

I didn't find Vin Diesel convincing at all - though I can't imagine anyone atm who could play that role properly. ach, it was ok I suppose, can't be any more enthusiastic then that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Blitzkrieger was that virgin(r whatever) in dub where u went to see that,cause all that "kick us out of the room to clean" stuff happened to me aswell wink.gif

also, it may sound stoopid but, settle an argument: was the actor who played riddick black or white (as in skin colour)?

Advertisement