Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rarefish on Ambient Zone (Galway) Tomorrow Night

• 06-10-2004 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

Tomorrow night at 9 PM on Flirt FM's Ambient Zone, we'll have special guest Sean Cooney AKA Rarefish, who will be selecting some of his favourite music for the show.

Rarefish recently released the album Amplifier, which is available in Galway record shops.

From the Galway Advertiser, September 9:
    Rarefish’s ambient electronica

ONE OF the more intriguing local music releases to hit the shelves recently is Amplifier, written and produced by Sean Cooney under the nom-de-guerre of Rarefish.

The album comprises nine tracks of synthdriven ambient music, rather like a soundtrack in search of a film. Whereas most musicians bringing out their own albums tend to covet the limelight, Cooney prefers to keep a low profile.

“I’ve been playing music since I was eight,” he reveals, “and I think all those childhood demonstrations in front of relatives has put me off live performance for life! I’d rather be a producer than a performer. I’ve been writing a lot for a few years now, mainly on a hobby basis to begin with, but now I’ve decided to try and make something of it so I’ve put the CD into the local shops to see how it’ll go. The music on it is electronic but with a bit of a raw edge to it - in terms of musical influences I’d cite the likes of Depeche Mode or Vangelis.”

Cooney admits to having a keen interest in doing soundtrack work for film and television and part of his hopes for the CD is that it will stimulate interest from those quarters; “I’ve an interest in doing production work, I’m starting to learn all about the technology and software; it’s only in the last six to eight months I’ve seriously got into it. I’d really like to get into doing music for film or TV. While the CD is basically a mix of electronica and some grungy guitar, I feel I could broaden the sound palette if I was going to do a soundtrack. I’d also like to work with other artists, like opera singers or whatever.”

While most of the tracks are instrumentals, the closing number ‘Orpheus Existe’ features the voice of renowned linguist and philosopher Noam Chomsky to which Cooney has added a soundtrack. “That track came about after I discovered a cassette I’d originally made about 10 years ago which I recorded off a documentary and used for a college project about propaganda and perception. When I found it again I thought ‘this is interesting, why not put some music to it?’ There’s a loose theme to the CD which is we can pick and choose what we want to listen to which is also what Chomsky is talking about.”

Amplifier is now in stock in local record shops. Check it out!

www.ambientzone.com

Comments

Advertisement